Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
40% more ....hmmmm......of what??? >

40% more ....hmmmm......of what???

40% more ....hmmmm......of what???

Old 06-01-2011, 06:59 PM

All boils down to $$$$!
Old 06-01-2011, 07:20 PM

If they don't stop making the rolls of toilet paper narrower and narrower, I may as well use a roll of ribbon instead! :shock: :evil: ;-)
Old 06-01-2011, 08:13 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by moonrise
If they don't stop making the rolls of toilet paper narrower and narrower, I may as well use a roll of ribbon instead! :shock: :evil: ;-)
The narrowest paper I came across was at a rest stop - it was only 3.5 inches wide - yes, I took some out to the car and measured it!
Old 06-01-2011, 08:50 PM

The 1 pound margarine bowls now hold 15 ounces.
Old 06-02-2011, 01:14 AM

Originally Posted by moonrise
The tp I buy has gotten 1/4" shorter. I had the two paper tubes to compare..and I KNOW 1/4 when I see it! LOL
Old 06-02-2011, 03:20 AM

Originally Posted by thrums
I recently bought some liquid laundry detergent. The label on the bottle said 40% more.

Yes....there was 40% more liquid, but I question the composition of the detergent....40% more water?

I noticed the liquid was much thinner than the regular-sized bottle. (I still had that bottle). I measured the caps and the "40% more liquid" cap was 22% larger.

Now I'm not a statistical mathematician, but there's something fishy going on. I have written the company to say shame on them.

Caveat: Buyer beware.

================================

For those who are curious; it was Arm and Hammer Clean Burst.
Sounds like a good one to send to Consumer Reports.
Old 06-02-2011, 04:02 AM

Yeah - we used to buy coffee by the pound! Now it's about 12 to 14 ounces. And yes, it costs more. And can you remember when gas was $1.50 per gallon? Just about everybody can - don't have to be old for that one.
Old 06-02-2011, 04:23 AM

I haven't bought coffee in a while and I couldn't believe the price of it last week when I went to buy some. I'll be looking for sales and stocking up when I find it at a good price.
Old 06-02-2011, 04:56 AM

Like the gas prices......
Last year they were 2.65... this year they went up to almost 4.00. Soon as the the people start complaining they drop the prices back to 3.65. NOW, don't you feel better now that the prices are not 4.00 anymore.....oh, wait was that a way to raise prices a dollar more without the people complaining too much? ...hum...
Syl
Old 06-02-2011, 04:59 AM

I remember it when we got a three cent coupon off and paid 22 cents for a gallon of gas and I also remember when cigarettes were 25 cents a pack (I quit that ugly habit back in 1983) and I remember gum was 5 cents a pack, bread was 19 cents a loaf, PepsiCola was 5 cents a bottle - and candy bars were fatter, longer and wider and 5 cents. (I am 72 years young)

No one makes a stink about the prices anymore. I truly believe that it has become such an I-Me-My society that no one cares about the next person. Who the heck would pay $1.79 for a plastic bottle of pop? Not me! I'll buy it by the cans in a carton on sale and get four for $10.00 and if you get the four cartons, you get one free. I am on a roll......I also found out that those little cans of energy juice is nothing more than a cup of coffee. And you pay $3 something for it! Good gravy Marie!!!!! Besides which they now say that it is not good for you (I'd never drink that stuff) and either is the cans of energy drink that looks llike a can of beer - Red Bull or something - not good stuff! Especially for the younger kids who think it is cool! Not cool - bad news! I like Kool-Aid myself. What's wrong with that? Nothing except if you think back 20 years, the red KoolAid hyped up the kids, they said. Never hyped up my son. But then we didn't let him drink it whenever he wanted to either. I am sorry. I just get going here.

I always always contact a company when I think I am being hornswoggled by them. I generally will get my money back. If enough people would do that maybe it would change. Don't do anything at all - and they will all think we are a bunch of dummies that will buy anything. Watch where products are being made also. Hand lotion, toothpaste, mouthwash, cleaning products......make sure it is American where, thank God, we have an overzealous quality control for which I am eternally grateful.

OK, I have to sew a block together now. Have a nice day, keep cool. We are heading into a week of 90's starting tomorrow. I will enjoy every single second after our lousy winter and spring! Edie