Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
About kids and Christmas stockings... and the passage of time >

About kids and Christmas stockings... and the passage of time

About kids and Christmas stockings... and the passage of time

Old 12-28-2011, 08:41 AM

When my sister, six years older than me, decided she was too old for Christmas stockings, none of us got them any more. I was 5 or 6 and felt she took something away from me. But then my father suggested we revive a tradition from his family called Christmas pie, which we had after dinner. In a big bowl covered with wrapping paper with strings or ribbon coming out of the bowl, there was one more small gift for each of us. Each got a chance to pull their string with their name on it. It also kept us all around the table until the meal was really finished for every one.
Old 12-28-2011, 10:24 AM

I guess I'm in the minority here. I did stockings till they left home. The ones that are married have spouses that do the honors. The ones that aren't do a "stocking exchange" with the other unmarried siblings. same with Easter baskets, once they move out it's no longer my job.
Old 12-28-2011, 10:28 AM

My kids and their spouses and their kids and my husband expect filled stockings Christmas morning! When our son brought his girlfriend home, she got a tote bag with stuff in on the mantle. The next Christmas I crocheted her a stocking in the same pattern as our son's but different colors. Our daughter's stocking was crocheted by my mother for her first Christmas. It is smaller than all the other stockings on the mantle but it was made by Grandma and my daughter won't change it for the world. When her soon to be husband came the first Christmas, I took a pair of hubby's new white socks and stuffed it. He had to have something and he teased everyone that he got to wear his Christmas stocking! Then the granddaughter came and I crocheted her one also. Hubby and I have stockings also and I fill everyone's stockings. They used to get toothbrushes and toothpaste but the dentist gives them out each visit. Granola bars, cocoa packets, snickers, 'stuff'!!

None of them have mantles so I imagine their stockings will always stay at home!
Old 12-28-2011, 10:37 AM

When the kids married and moved away my husband and I put stockings up for each of us and filled them for each other. We finally stopped the stocking thing this year because of the cost. This year our middle GD and boyfriend came to spend Christmas with us. We put stockings up for the two of them (they are in their 20's) and they were so excited on Christmas morning and it brought a smile to our faces.
From now on we will put stockings up for decoration. What is a fireplace without stockings, right!?
Old 12-28-2011, 05:17 PM

We still do stockings for everyone My kids and grandkids love it and so do I. They never know what might be in them and they are always busting at the seams! They don't have stockings anywhere else so this is a tradition they look forward to.
Old 12-28-2011, 05:30 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by alwayslearning View Post
When my sister, six years older than me, decided she was too old for Christmas stockings, none of us got them any more. I was 5 or 6 and felt she took something away from me. But then my father suggested we revive a tradition from his family called Christmas pie, which we had after dinner. In a big bowl covered with wrapping paper with strings or ribbon coming out of the bowl, there was one more small gift for each of us. Each got a chance to pull their string with their name on it. It also kept us all around the table until the meal was really finished for every one.
I just love your Christmas pie idea!!! That is so cool!
Old 12-28-2011, 08:41 PM

I still get stocking stufffers for my granddaughters. Their parents and I both put things in their stockings. I'll probably do it until they get married. I didn't do stockings for my children after they married.
Old 12-28-2011, 08:42 PM

I still fill stockings for everyone. My oldest (30) son and my grandson (5), daughter (28) and son in law (just got married) and 20 year old son (college)... husband and now daughter's mother in law. And it is expensive. I put useable stuff like toothbrushes, paste, deodorant, candy, tape, nails..etc. But I have fun with it and wrap everything
Old 12-29-2011, 06:52 AM

If they're home at Christmas, they get stockings. They always loved their stockings and my 20-year old still does. She hinted last week that she thought she still had her stocking in her room from last year. I told her that she didn't need a stocking this year - since she's getting a new computer, she only needed a baby bootie. I know, that was evil, wasn't it?

She got the new computer after midnight mass and on Christmas Day, she had some presents under the tree and a new stocking. She was as excited about the stocking as if she were ten.

I will never give up stockings. Heheeeeee!
Old 12-29-2011, 07:01 AM

My Mom still fills stockings for me, my brother and his wife and daughter. Even their new puppy got a stocking this year! I also fill a stocking for my Mom. It's just a tradition and we think it's cute. Our stockings are always filled with necessities, like soap and hairspray.