Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Account Fraud....Be Careful >

Account Fraud....Be Careful

Account Fraud....Be Careful

Old 10-08-2011, 01:12 PM

I had that happen last summer, too. Go to the police department and make a report. They may be able to trace the culprits. However, over 700 accounts were hit in this area last summer and they never did find the common denominator ---- in another words, the culprits got away with it!!! GRRRRRR :twisted:
Old 10-08-2011, 01:14 PM

I had almost exactly the same thing happen a couple of months ago. Fortunately I check my balance every night and noticed a $1.99 charge and a $65.00 charge for of all things, the South Beach diet. The $1.99 was to start the Disney movie club. Well, my bank helped me with both issues and I cancelled the account and had to change my direct deposit. Now I almost always use Paypal for online charges but had bought a few things from what were supposed to be secure sites so feel that is how my card number was obtained. I am fortunate to have caught it in time and will never pay via anything except Paypal online. I am also back to writing checks instead of doing online banking - just in case!
Old 10-08-2011, 01:15 PM

Its happened to me with credit cards twice in the last 3 months. Charges were made to the cards but the cards were in my wallet.

After the second time, I alerted all of my other cards, got a different debit card and started locking my purse in my trunk when I go to work. I don't know where the crooks got my number but from now on my wallet is either locked up or on my person.
Old 10-08-2011, 01:36 PM

You folks have been wonderful ! A wealth of information and things I haven't thought of before...I carefully looked over my account this afternoon and there is a charge in Nassau plus another $2.10 "international charge"....I'm printing it out tomorrow (Sunday) and will take to the bank, oh I guess it will be Tuesday...since the account has been "frozen" and nothing else can be charged against it...but I'll still going to the bank with my statement.

I'm far too much of a trusting person until TODAY.....I'll check my cards in my wallet and foil those that need it....actually I was just sick to my stomach earlier in the day that this had happened. Now that I've had a few hours to recover I'm mad as hell and ain't going to take it anymore !

The Wells Fargo lady asked me today if I had filed a police report and of course the answer was no since I had just found out about it, but I will file one as soon as I can. Am going to call our local police dept tonight and see what I need to do.....I'm sorry, it isn't a lot of money but it is all I have and I need to protect it ! A $100 crime against me is just the same as a $1,000 crime against someone that has a lot of money.

Again, YOU folks are awesome and I appreciate your input so very much.
Sincerely
Sandy
Old 10-08-2011, 01:41 PM

One of the most common methods (according to my bank rep) is that people who have access to a credit machine at a retail location will run a randomly selected series of numbers for very minimal charges, sometimes even a zero amount. The idea is that if they get confirmation back, they know they have hit on a good credit card number and can then create new cards with the stolen number. They never even have to steal your card, just the number. With as many people using debit/credit cards as we have these days, it is much easier to hit on a good account than back in the days of check writing. That is why you will often see a small piddly little amount followed by a bigger charge. :) It pays to be vigilant and have fraud protection!
Old 10-09-2011, 03:33 AM

Wow I got a notice for about 20.00 different bank on Oct 6 as well. Bank notified me via email. Of course that card has been closed and I will get a new number.
When I order from net I always prefer paypal becasue I am not gving out number. But you do have to be aware of scams fromm there too. Just remember play it safe NEVER NEVER give out personal info especially ss number.
Dawn NY
Old 10-09-2011, 03:40 AM

Believe me, it is a mess to go thru. Just last week they got into my account and I got a immediate call from BA. I too had to get all new accounts and change all Direct Deposits ect. Then BA went down for 3 days last week and what a mess I had.
I feel so bad for those of you who have gone thru this!!!!!
Old 10-09-2011, 03:51 AM

I agree that "they" don't need to steal the actual card...just try out random numbers till they get "live" ones.

I, too, made an RFID safe pouch for my credit cards that are in my wallet.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-268153.jpe  
Old 10-09-2011, 03:53 AM

That happened to me too. Visa's fraud protection unit called to see if I'd charged $2 for some playing cards in Illinois and $10 to the Red Cross in Washington D.C. Like some other members have said, the thieves don't have to actually have your card in their greedy little hands -- they just run random numbers and hope to hit on active accounts.
Old 10-09-2011, 04:05 AM

I've gotten rid of all my credit cards and only carry prepaid cards now. Even if a crook gets the number off them there's a limited amount of money credited to the card number.
It's a pain to keep checking to see how much is left on it before I use it, but it's a small pain compared to having to fix my credit itself.