Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Account Fraud....Be Careful >

Account Fraud....Be Careful

Account Fraud....Be Careful

Old 10-09-2011, 05:21 AM

I had that happen to me and it made me $800 overdrawn, the bank didn't catch it but they refunded my money. it was a 40 cent charge and then 2 $5 charges then 2 $500 charges. I had to get another card. It came from Sweden.
Old 10-09-2011, 05:53 AM

I belong to a credit union, and believe it or not, they actually know where I go, more or less. If they see charges show up in or out of state that aren't someplace they have "seen" me before. Or if the charges seem unusual. I got a call seconds after putting five hundred on my card at Lowes.

I lost my wallet a few years back, in Alabama, and since then, and face to face transaction requires my password.

The possibility of your credit card being read while in your purse or pocket is real, but the liklihood of it happening is remote. Especially if you have more than one remotely-readable card, as then the info becomes jumbled together. And any info read is not likely to be usable for theft anyway. Read more at Snopes.com http://www.snopes.com/fraud/identity/pickpocket.asp
QKO

One of the ways they are stealing your information these days is with "skimmers." The crook goes to a gas station and attaches a special, easily concealed device to the credit/debit card reader on one or more pumps, and it proceeds to collect cc/dc information for a day or two, then they come and retrieve it and download the data. A few minutes later, it's in Brazil or Hungary or someplace and charges are being made to your card.

If you use pay at the pump, make sure you carefully inspect the credit card slot first and notify the management if anything at all looks out of place.
Old 10-09-2011, 06:31 AM

There was recently an article about credit cards being charged from $5 to $9.95 each and every month. Seems like most people gloss over a charge that's less than $10. The scammers were raking in millions. They were debiting 100,000 or more accounts for $10 or less every month. That added up to $1 million a month.
Old 10-09-2011, 06:42 AM

Originally Posted by catmcclure
There was recently an article about credit cards being charged from $5 to $9.95 each and every month. Seems like most people gloss over a charge that's less than $10. The scammers were raking in millions. They were debiting 100,000 or more accounts for $10 or less every month. That added up to $1 million a month.
I'm embarrassed and mad that they did get me with this one. I ordered a book with some special pricing, like postage only, what they didn't make clear and I read that stuff, was that I was signing up for a memebership. They dinged me for $9.95 fror longer then I care to admit and I did get a 3 month refund, but that was all. And man are they snarky when you call to cancel. My credit card company sypmhatized but I had kept forgetting to ask dh if it was a charge he had put on and when I finally got to it I was furious. I'm not at home now but it was something like BBNV book or similar name.
Old 10-09-2011, 07:12 AM

Same thing happen to my daughter last year when she went on a cruise. Came home and had all kinds of charges racked up and she had to make all the calls and get everything straightened out. Crooks now have a device they can hold in their hands and just point at someones pocket or purse and scan your card numbers. Have been hearing about these scanners for a while now. The only way I have heard of prtecting against these is to wrap your wallet or card in tin foil. These people ould have a field day at any store.
Old 10-09-2011, 07:18 AM

We have had this happen to bank acct and credit cards. Thank goodness for security alerts from both. A fraud abuse officer told me that she checks all her accts every single day and advises the same for everyone. My hubby checks ours regularly.
Old 10-09-2011, 07:41 AM
j

My bank called and asked me where I was and I told them and they said, you just bought a $175 blouse in New Hampshire -I said no, they closed down my credit card that I had for 15 years and knew the number by heart. So now I have a new credit card. Have no idea how they got my number. - J
Old 10-09-2011, 08:04 AM

Creditcard scams seem to happen around the holidays also. Even close to home. A year ago my husband and I had gone to our favorite resturant. Took the creditcard to pay. Waiter must have taken numbers and sent them to someone in southern Texas. Found nine different charges for Walmart cards, each with $100 charges for Walmart cards. Walmart didn't think it was odd. They just didn't care. New card and now pay cash at all resturants. These transactions took place seconds apart.