Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
  • Account Fraud....Be Careful >
  • Account Fraud....Be Careful

• Account Fraud....Be Careful

Old 10-09-2011, 08:21 AM

Sign up for a PayPal account and request a PayPal debit card from them and use that...then your personal account number will never be out there.
    Michelle
    Old 10-09-2011, 08:27 AM

We do need to keep an eye on this sort of thing - happened to my daughter a month ago - wiped her out, took quite a while to get back on track again as she ended up with lots of overdrafts due to the acct being emptied and her not realizing it she continued writting checks as needed....
    Old 10-09-2011, 08:34 AM
    Power Poster

I heard on the news several months ago about this kind of scam.Also there is a hand held device that can scan your card even while it is in your wallet in your purse.If you wrap foil around your cards and then put them in your purse they cannot be scanned through the foil.Please meake sure you cover the keypad with your hand or purse while punching in your pin also.Mary
    Old 10-09-2011, 08:39 AM

I am sorry that this happened to you :cry:
    Old 10-09-2011, 08:42 AM

It can happen to anyone. My daughter just got hit... someone tried to purchase a $540 plane ticket in London, England. The debit card company refused it and sent her a message. She called them..they cancelled the card and are sending her another. I was hit with my Mastercard last month. Had to cancel the card and get a new one. There are a lot of savvy tech hackers out there so be careful.
    Old 10-09-2011, 08:56 AM

We got a call from our bank last week. Someone had charged two items to my DH's debit card in Spain totaling over $1,100. Then a couple more smaller purchases later that same day (phishing to see if the account had been closed yet). The bank caught the charges right away and froze his card. Luckily we had enough to cover it in our account without causing any more than an inconvenience in having to apply and wait for a new debit card. If the efforts to have us become a "cashless" society some day ever succeed, this type of thing will become an epidemic and wipe folks out all over the country.
    Old 10-09-2011, 09:42 AM

We recently had similar trouble at our bank where someone used our debit card to take $1200 out of my account! (Almost my entire Soc. Sec.) At the time this happened, the bank (Chase) already had tried phoning us and when my son went to the branch bank where we had the last transaction, the manager there showed him on their internal bank web how it might have happened. The thieves can "bug" the ATM, put a "skin" on the ATM, photo it from a short distance, and on and on, including others mentioned above. We got credited for the illegal withdrawals the next day. Apparently, that particular ATM was targeted but Chase could not say how the theft was accomplished.

Look for small unusual attachments to the ATM face, take the time to tell if it could peel off and, most important, check your account EVERY DAY!
    Old 10-09-2011, 10:14 AM

I do online banking and each day I pull up my accounts and do a quick check. That makes me feel a bit more secure, all transactions complete and pending are right there.
    Old 10-09-2011, 10:14 AM

Question is I never understood why debit cards came into effect. With creditcards the place where you purchase pays the 2 or 3 percent to let you use the card. With a debit card you tap directly into your bank account. Please tell me why you would do this. If you only use the creditcard and pay off each month, you only need to carry a small amount of cash. Or carry or keep handy a large amout of cash (only the amount you intend to spend each week or month) on hand. Which way do all you go? Or which way do you think we all should do?
    Old 10-09-2011, 12:26 PM

Within the last year I had something happen. Someone in CA withdrew $200 from an ATM. Turned out it had happened to many people here in OR. Someone had compromised Michael's Credit/Debit reader. At first Wells Fargo said they would just "look into it". When I read the news I called them back and said they should give me an immediate credit, and they did. I changed our pins, and my name and PW on most online sites too, to be safe.