Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: For All of You Animal Lovers

My DH and I take in rescue dogs. It is expensive but quite rewarding. This morning we received a video entitled "Smart dog". If any of you are interested in watching this, it was so wonderful, both my DH and I cried during the whole thing. Google Skidboot and watch the video of this dog. Or, if you want, send me your e-mail and I will forward it to you. It was so great to watch. Warmed our hearts.

Blog Entries
    Thanks for sharing. Our 4 dogs and 2 cats were throw-away animals. They are the best and have enriched our lives.

Thanks! I will have to watch on BF's computer, we have dial up so it wouldnt work. Cant wait to see it!

We rescue dogs and find them new homes. I think there are several on this message board that do this.

Quote Originally Posted by M.E.H.
    We rescue dogs and find them new homes. I think there are several on this message board that do this.
    Unfortunately, we haven't been successful finding homes for ours. We currently have 10 dogs. Fortunately most of them are smaller dogs

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by twinkie
    My DH and I take in rescue dogs. It is expensive but quite rewarding. This morning we received a video entitled "Smart dog". If any of you are interested in watching this, it was so wonderful, both my DH and I cried during the whole thing. Google Skidboot and watch the video of this dog. Or, if you want, send me your e-mail and I will forward it to you. It was so great to watch. Warmed our hearts.
    Bless you for what you are doing. My dogs are both rescue dogs. The Great Dane was in a puppy mill popping out puppies twice a year for the first 4 years of her life. (She knew I was typing about her and came in to say Hi). She is wonderful, loves kids and stuffed animals. Her "brother" is a Rottie mix who was picked up as a stray at 5 months and lived in the shelter till I got him at 18 months. He is wonderful too, and the two of them are inseparable.

Thanks for sharing. What an amazing dog he was. Sad to hear of his passing. What a wonderful gift he brought to many's lives.

God bless you for what you are doing.

My husband and I rescue Cats,plus I found my Vet.will give me half price on visits and meds. plus meds. ready to expire.

Blog Entries
    [email protected]

I've seen the video. Skidboot is amazing.

I saw him on Pet Star and the Oprah show. Quite amazing! :thumbup:

That was so sweet. I've noticed a LOT of people on this Board are animal lovers. Think that is what makes it so special...we have more in common than just quilts!

I am heavily into animal rescue. I have two rescued cats and three dogs. I will go look at that video, and I will probably cry too. I love all animals (except for rats and snakes!)

Blog Entries
    My dogs have all been rescues. I have two now -- a Great Dane mix who was "dropped off" one night at the Humane Society, who is the sweetest dog on the face of the earth, and a Heinz 57 we found abandoned on the street. With so many abandoned dogs in need of a good home, I would never buy a dog.

Blog Entries
    For many years we took in rescue Dobermans, "just till we can find a good home for them". Yeah..right. We always fell in love with them and kept them for the rest of their lives.
    Once my rigidly honest husband came in angry and said we were going to steal a dog. We went to an orchard where the renters had tied a vicious Dobie up and watered her with a garden hose, even though the water dish was overturned, and she was nearly starved. They said they didn't know why, they had tossed her lots of corn they were feeding their pig!!! She lived with us for years, and was a sweet, well mannered girl all her life. We'll always miss Hilda, Kurt..the best dog who ever lived, sweet, gentle Gertrude, fast and eager to play Hans and the cats who have made our lives complete.
    Now I have two rescue cats, one of which was found in a rain storm in Texas. What people do to animals shows what savages they, themselves are, and the I think shows what kind of human they are. We always told our kids to watch out for those who mistreat animals, they will do people.wives and kids, just the same.

my dog is a rescue too he was on death row when we got him.
    & even tho I breed cats we also have rescue ones, we rescued 1 that was kicked out of home as a little kitten by the new big dog the owners got, the poor little kitten ended up in the hospital grounds searching for food, I heard him meow in the carpark as I was getting the car to pick up my husband from ER and we brought him home and he adopted my mum.

Both o fmy kittys are rescues. One I got from the pound who was on death row, and she is the most placid loving lap cat you could ever have. She is so good natured, I cant believe she was on death row. The other I got from a shelter where he had been since he was 4 weeks old. Hes now 6 months, and I have had him 2 weeks, and hes a real snuggle puss. Hes learning how to be a pet, hes only ever lived in like kennel conditions. Just the other day he discivered his own refelction and boy wasnt that funny!!

I beleive the best pets are rescued ones, its like they know you have saved them and they become so devoted and loyal to you.

Thanks for sharing. I have rescued dogs and cats as well. They are so sweet.

about 2 degrees north of H-E-double hockey sticks
    I'll look up Skidboot when no one else is around to see me cry...(I can't watch ASPCA commercials...have to pause the tv then fast forward). We've always had "throw aways" including beautiful purebred pedigreed dogs (they were/are deaf). As a foster mom I've "failed" many times as we couldn't get the dogs homes before they bonded with one of us, one of the other fosters or in one case our goat! It's a lot of work but they all get love and attention as well as all of their physical needs attended to. I feel blessed to be able to have as many pets as I do. As a rescuer I also work very closely with our low cost spay/neuter clinic and would urge other rescuers to do the same. It's wonderful to support each other. I value this board so much because there are so many like minded creative individuals here. I'm proud to have friends like you.

Skidboot made me cry, too. My husband found my kitten just a few months ago. He was following behind a friend's pick up truck when it went over a bump and out popped this fur ball from underneath the bed (frame area). It did several barrel rolls across the street before it came to a stop. Eric stopped his truck, got out to see what was going on, picked up this 3-4 week old starving kitten, and brought it home. Lucky hasn't left. She is now almost 4 months old and both of us love her. She is a healthy weight, instead of being able to see each and every rib. She knows she has it good now and purrs very loudly whenever we pet her. Rescue animals are the best!!!

Blog Entries
    Hi, I will pm you. I have 3 dogs, used to be 5 dogs (2 of my favorite dogs) all of my dogs were rescued from the shelter or someone was going to take them there. My shepherd mix, someone dropped off the day after Christmas & found my mom's house, she couldn't take care of it, so my dh & I took her, best dog we have.
    I volunteer at the Humane Society.

Turtlerouge

I have 2 rescue kittens and a boxer/pitbull mix and a chihuahua that was a rescue. That's in addtion to my 2 other dogs and a cat! LOL!

We have foster pit bulls a few times. This summer is our first experience at fostering. There's a lot of trouble in my community with people fighting them. These dogs are terribly misunderstood, most of the time. Its a sad thing to see a beautiful, smart animal like a pit bull have to be put down because some idiot thought it would be good to train it to fight to the death. When, if it had had a "normal" life it would have made the best pet in the world.

We have had any yet, that couldn't be rehomed, but I don't get the worst ones. The last 2 that I had I would have loved to keep. They were sooooo sweet. One had been starved almost to death. But,She's doing great now, in a home right down the street from me.

Anyone that takes a shelter animal, or a rescue, is doing God's work, I think. You can't ask for a better pet.

Quote Originally Posted by Ramona Byrd
    For many years we took in rescue Dobermans, "just till we can find a good home for them". Yeah..right. We always fell in love with them and kept them for the rest of their lives.
    Once my rigidly honest husband came in angry and said we were going to steal a dog. We went to an orchard where the renters had tied a vicious Dobie up and watered her with a garden hose, even though the water dish was overturned, and she was nearly starved. They said they didn't know why, they had tossed her lots of corn they were feeding their pig!!! She lived with us for years, and was a sweet, well mannered girl all her life. We'll always miss Hilda, Kurt..the best dog who ever lived, sweet, gentle Gertrude, fast and eager to play Hans and the cats who have made our lives complete.
    Now I have two rescue cats, one of which was found in a rain storm in Texas. What people do to animals shows what savages they, themselves are, and the I think shows what kind of human they are. We always told our kids to watch out for those who mistreat animals, they will do people.wives and kids, just the same.
    You should be proud of your hubby!

My sons (ages 18 and 15) came across a guy that had a pitbull bragging about going to fight him, and about fighting him in the past.They wind up getting into a fistfight with him, and brought the dog home!

While, I didn't want to condone violence, I was so proud of them. Chance had a lot of cuts on him, Im sure he wouldn't have made it through his next fight. I loved that dog. He passed away a few months ago, but he will also have a place in our hearts.

He was the sweetest dog. We never had a bit of problems out of him. He got along great with other dogs, especially of the Chihuahuas. I swear I think he was so happy to not to have to fight the dogs, it made him love them!

We, too, have a miniature poodle that was in apuppy mill & she is the sweetest thing!! I would not buy a dog. Too many need homes. Love the animals. They are smarter than a lot of people give them credit for. We also have atoy poodle trhat was given to us. He weighs just 4lbs!!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast