Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
For All of You Animal Lovers >

For All of You Animal Lovers

For All of You Animal Lovers

Old 09-06-2010, 05:31 AM

Skidboot made me cry, too. My husband found my kitten just a few months ago. He was following behind a friend's pick up truck when it went over a bump and out popped this fur ball from underneath the bed (frame area). It did several barrel rolls across the street before it came to a stop. Eric stopped his truck, got out to see what was going on, picked up this 3-4 week old starving kitten, and brought it home. Lucky hasn't left. She is now almost 4 months old and both of us love her. She is a healthy weight, instead of being able to see each and every rib. She knows she has it good now and purrs very loudly whenever we pet her. Rescue animals are the best!!!
Old 09-06-2010, 05:39 AM

Hi, I will pm you. I have 3 dogs, used to be 5 dogs (2 of my favorite dogs) all of my dogs were rescued from the shelter or someone was going to take them there. My shepherd mix, someone dropped off the day after Christmas & found my mom's house, she couldn't take care of it, so my dh & I took her, best dog we have.
I volunteer at the Humane Society.

Turtlerouge
Old 09-06-2010, 05:55 AM

I have 2 rescue kittens and a boxer/pitbull mix and a chihuahua that was a rescue. That's in addtion to my 2 other dogs and a cat! LOL!

We have foster pit bulls a few times. This summer is our first experience at fostering. There's a lot of trouble in my community with people fighting them. These dogs are terribly misunderstood, most of the time. Its a sad thing to see a beautiful, smart animal like a pit bull have to be put down because some idiot thought it would be good to train it to fight to the death. When, if it had had a "normal" life it would have made the best pet in the world.

We have had any yet, that couldn't be rehomed, but I don't get the worst ones. The last 2 that I had I would have loved to keep. They were sooooo sweet. One had been starved almost to death. But,She's doing great now, in a home right down the street from me.

Anyone that takes a shelter animal, or a rescue, is doing God's work, I think. You can't ask for a better pet.
Old 09-06-2010, 06:01 AM

Originally Posted by Ramona Byrd
For many years we took in rescue Dobermans, "just till we can find a good home for them". Yeah..right. We always fell in love with them and kept them for the rest of their lives.
Once my rigidly honest husband came in angry and said we were going to steal a dog. We went to an orchard where the renters had tied a vicious Dobie up and watered her with a garden hose, even though the water dish was overturned, and she was nearly starved. They said they didn't know why, they had tossed her lots of corn they were feeding their pig!!! She lived with us for years, and was a sweet, well mannered girl all her life. We'll always miss Hilda, Kurt..the best dog who ever lived, sweet, gentle Gertrude, fast and eager to play Hans and the cats who have made our lives complete.
Now I have two rescue cats, one of which was found in a rain storm in Texas. What people do to animals shows what savages they, themselves are, and the I think shows what kind of human they are. We always told our kids to watch out for those who mistreat animals, they will do people.wives and kids, just the same.
You should be proud of your hubby!

My sons (ages 18 and 15) came across a guy that had a pitbull bragging about going to fight him, and about fighting him in the past.They wind up getting into a fistfight with him, and brought the dog home!

While, I didn't want to condone violence, I was so proud of them. Chance had a lot of cuts on him, Im sure he wouldn't have made it through his next fight. I loved that dog. He passed away a few months ago, but he will also have a place in our hearts.

He was the sweetest dog. We never had a bit of problems out of him. He got along great with other dogs, especially of the Chihuahuas. I swear I think he was so happy to not to have to fight the dogs, it made him love them!
Old 09-06-2010, 06:26 AM

We, too, have a miniature poodle that was in apuppy mill & she is the sweetest thing!! I would not buy a dog. Too many need homes. Love the animals. They are smarter than a lot of people give them credit for. We also have atoy poodle trhat was given to us. He weighs just 4lbs!!
Old 09-06-2010, 12:52 PM

We have brother / sister barn cats we rescued from an elderly lady who was terified of them. They are the best mousers we ever had. Our dog - Teddy Bear - was rescued by a RI foster agency who got him from a "kill shelter" in KY. Imagine a furry faced Lab with a mohawk hairdo. He is just the sweetest dog...He thinks he is my protector. We are one over the limit on animals for where we live, but no one tells on us.
Old 09-06-2010, 04:21 PM

Our Annie is a stray we rescued from the streets. She was so skinny. We took her to our vet, got her shots, had her wormed. Now Annie is the most sweet kitty, we think she is about 3 years old now. Course she has had her major surgery, no more kittens. Annie has my husband wrapeed around her little paw. Hubby think that little cat can do no wrong.
Old 09-06-2010, 05:13 PM

Originally Posted by twinkie
Originally Posted by M.E.H.
We rescue dogs and find them new homes. I think there are several on this message board that do this.
Unfortunately, we haven't been successful finding homes for ours. We currently have 10 dogs. Fortunately most of them are smaller dogs
God love you!!! As u can see, I have 2 dogs (my boys) and I just cannot imagine life without them. How can people be so cruel. Thank God for people like you!!
Old 09-06-2010, 05:54 PM
Power Poster

Thanks.
Old 09-06-2010, 06:02 PM
Dee

Thanks for sharing.