Allergy Free Dogs anyone?

Old 01-02-2012, 06:16 AM
Banned

Actually, there are no true allergy free dogs. Some (like poodles, for instance) are very low on the allergy scale, but some folks who are highly sensitive could still have a reaction to them. So just be aware that you could have a reaction to any dog of any breed.

Also, I'm a dog behaviorist and many of my clients are folks who meant well when they got their dogs, but chose a breed based on only one or two criteria and then were unpleasantly surprised to find they had a dog that didn't suit them in other important ways. So I would like to suggest that once you narrow your choices down to breeds that are low on the allergen scale, begin your research into each of those breeds.

The best way to do is to make a list with three columns. The first is what you must have in a dog. The second is things you could live with if you had to and the third is what you cannot have in a dog. So, if you are a very laid-back person, your first column might have "must be a quiet, low key dog". This rules out almost all terriers right there. If on the other hand you love to go, go, go and want a dog right beside you all the way, then terriers are a great choice for you.

Along those lines, I saw someone suggest a labradoodle a few posts back. These are great dogs IF you love a dog that is a challenge. These are two highly energetic, intelligent breeds put together. They have energy to spare, need tons of interaction, training and exercise to keep them happy and out of mischief. For some, these dogs are perfection, for others, they would be a nightmare. (A fair portion of my clients are those who chose a designer breed - which is a two breed dog, like labradoodles, schnoodles, goldendoodles, etc.). They failed to take into consideration the traits of BOTH breeds when they chose their puppy and then become overwhelmed as the pup grew and became too much for them.

I wish you all the best as you decide on your new furry addition. Just please do your homework and make sure it's not just a low allergy dog, but also a breed that you will love and cherish for all its qualities and characteristics for many years to come.
Old 01-02-2012, 10:24 AM

Many years ago when I had allergy testing I received two tests for dogs: poodles and 'other'. I was told by the allergist that poodles have a different 'dander' and are less bothersome to allergies. I did very well with our shi tsu and our miniature schnauzer, a poodle mix and a scotty mix. Although they have to be groomed, they don't shed and they don't make me itch.
Old 01-02-2012, 11:35 AM

We had a wonderful Bichon Frise and he was allergen-free. My husband has asthma and severe allergies and he really had no issues with our Travis. He was white with a peach color around his eyes, muzzle and feet. And was just a love - so very affectionate and could easily communicate with his eyes. He was also the very best "mole" dog we've ever had - would get so busy digging after the moles he would go down under the underground sprinkling system and come up on the other side, usually ten minutes after coming back from the groomer.
Old 01-03-2012, 01:51 PM

i am raising my hand for schnauzers. As you can see I have 3, and keep looking at more. only I can not get the DH to aggree.

One day a brother arrived at my house for the weekend. he is allergic to dogs and brought no meds with him. There were no problems for him. They do not shed which is an added bonus. They do need to be clipped so keep in mind the visit to the groomers every 6-8 weeks.

Lizzie is my black and silver rescue puppy. I found her at Petfinder.com. It was a really positive experience.
Old 01-05-2012, 03:39 PM

We have a Polish Lowland Sheepdog that is allergy free...I think our Maltese is too.
Old 01-06-2012, 07:57 AM

Originally Posted by CindyA View Post
Our dear dog died last January and we're thinking of getting another one. I miss having her greet me at the door and follow me around all over the house. Have to admit, though, that I've noticed I'm clear and not congested like I can often get this time of year. (Have just about year-round environmental allergies.) Does anyone have experience with the so-called 'Allergy Free' dogs?
Yes Yorkies are!
Old 01-09-2012, 03:44 PM
QM
Power Poster

As important as the breed of your furbaby is the other stuff you do to control your allergies. My DH has fought with severe breathing allergies all of his life. I have for a shorter period. Air filtration is very important. We have dust mite covers on our bedding. Our vacuum is a HEPA type. We wash the windowsills with a bleach solution several times a year (mold often grows there, as well as in bathrooms). Our allergist recommended both OTC and Rx allergy meds, as well as on-line sites for asthma/allergy products. DH washes his sinuses with a special device and saline solution (UGH!) this may be more than you wantd to hear, but the dog is not the only hazard.
Old 01-09-2012, 03:53 PM

There are quite a few allergy less dogs now. Most are small though. It's the dander we are allergic to not the hair. Dander on skin and in saliva.