Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Almond Milk....I just dunno >

Almond Milk....I just dunno

Almond Milk....I just dunno

Old 06-02-2010, 06:56 PM

If you are feeling queasy when you drink it, I would switch. Have you tried it plain to see if it still makes you feel bad? Or is it just with the cereal? Maybe it is reacting to something in the cereal? Or it's the cereal? You may just be intolerant to the almonds and need to try another alternative.

We use Almond milk because my son needs a dairy free diet. We have also tried soy milk, rice milk and hemp milk. We don't really drink it very much but we use it for hot chocolate and baking and it works great.

If you have issues with the texture of the almond milk try hemp milk. It is the closest in texture and consistency to cow's milk.

So far, I prefer Almond milk or Rice milk. I use the vanilla to bake and the unsweetened flavor for regular use.

If you don't like it, don't toss it! Remember you can bake with it. Just substitute it for milk at the same measurement.

Many people who have trouble with cow's milk can use the probiotic cow's milk or goat's milk without issues.
Old 06-03-2010, 03:04 AM

Originally Posted by marsye
I love Yogurt but stopped eating it because it either has high fructose corn syrup or artificial sweeteners. :thumbdown:
YOU CAN MAKE YOGURT AT HOME!!!

Get an unsweetened (or vanilla) yogurt, with "live active cultures". Take 2 cups of milk in a saucepan, heat nearly to simmer. Let cool to about skin temperature. Take a tablespoon of your "store bought yogurt" and add a small amount of the warmed milk to it, whisk until smoooth. Add more, until it is all liquid (aka tempering). Then add this liquid back to the rest of the milk.

Place in a container overnight, place in a cold oven with the light on (keeps it warm, like when you proof bread dough). In the AM, voila! YOGURT!

I keep this in the fridge for about 3 days, but that's because it's gone by then. I'm not sure of the exact shelf life, but you can use a starter from THIS to make another batch.
Old 06-03-2010, 08:01 AM
Power Poster

How do they milk those almonds and the soy beans? Must be a special breed with tiny teets.
Old 06-03-2010, 08:16 AM

I've been wondering that to. I'm glad you ask.
Old 06-03-2010, 09:26 AM

Originally Posted by MadQuilter
How do they milk those almonds and the soy beans? Must be a special breed with tiny teets.
Lmao!!!