Annoying The Quilt Police

Old 08-26-2012, 06:39 AM

I agree with , Sunnye joyce j
Old 08-26-2012, 06:51 AM

Only quilt police that have seen my quilts are the judges at my Guild's quilt shows. I have to say they have been kind and said to try to not cut off points of stars and do more quilting. First time they said that was over 10 years ago and they have repeated it each and every time I've entered a quilt.
Old 08-26-2012, 01:03 PM

I don't care what they think because it shows up everywhere in everything! I am a master gardener and someone told SHE was being trained to be a showplace gardener. More power to ya, I thought. I am now retired and I am showplace nothing. That includes perfect quilts, a perfect garden, and especially a perfectly clean house! :-)
Old 08-26-2012, 03:41 PM
Power Poster

As much as I would love to, I don't come in contact with them enough to make it fun. I do like to vocalize that there are no rules in quilting when I'm in a crowded fabric store. People turn white. A sure sign of QP presence. HA. What do you do?

peace
Old 08-27-2012, 02:59 AM

no matter what the subject, there are always some people who just LIVE to tell everyone the right way (their way) to do things. "You should always.." and "You should never..." are two of their favorite sentence starters.

I find they are usually good for a (private) laugh.
Old 08-27-2012, 04:04 AM

hand them the seam ripper and point to the machine would be a great annoyance to the quilt police officer.
Old 08-27-2012, 04:51 AM

Originally Posted by Neesie View Post
I've never had the chance to annoy the QP (most people, I know, are awed by anything handmade) but have had a bit of fun, with other pompous donkeys.
"I'm learning to do this, too. Not to highjack the conversation (much): someone at my childhood church asked me why I was still with my husband and I kept saying, "Hormones, they talk to each other, it's all hormones." They couldn't get away fast enough. But I don't annoy the quilt police because I don't belong to any groups that are fussy.
Old 08-27-2012, 06:33 AM

Originally Posted by ptquilts View Post
Well, I don't pre-wash... that should get them riled up a bit.
I don't either and never had any trouble with bleeding. We do have some qp's in our area, but only because they think they need to make these perfect seams and points. I sometimes fudge. Oh well, my life.
Old 08-27-2012, 06:36 AM

Originally Posted by renee765 View Post
i'm afraid i probably drive the quilt police batty. Like others, i don't always pre-wash, if i did, i might have to actually use my iron more frequently. I always change my machine needle - when it breaks. Squaring up blocks - only if i can't tell what shape they were supposed to be. Pressing the seams to the dark side - again, that would require me using my iron. I prefer to save the electricity. My quilts are all embellished with cat hairs - although i do make attempts to keep the quilt-in-progress covered by sheets while i am working on it. My free motion quilting is very 'free' - i meander where i feel like it. Hand quilted stitches are not exactly uniform because hey, variety is the spice of life. (no two snowflakes are alike, and neither are my hand quilting stitches.) i mix colors and prints the way i think they look right. Sometimes i even mix lqs fabric with walmart fabric if i like the way it looks together. Gasp!

I quilt because it brings me joy. I quilt because i like to put love into every stitch, and when someone receives a quilt from me they can know that i thought about them the whole time i was creating it.
i love your way of thinking.
Old 08-27-2012, 06:45 AM

Location: Quilting, crocheting, sewing and crafting in my Sewing Room...Peaceful and wonderful !!

Karma rules in my house !! Quilt police come every once in a while to my house (my mother-in-law) and I just say well then you do it (and she can't sew very much anymore), so then DO NOT criticize my work anymore-just nod and move on. Then you can go home and tell your other daughters how I don't sew correctly !LOL
IF people who come into my house see the mistakes and point them out-I tell them it was made with love and it will stay that way..