Another "copyright" talk

Old 05-04-2010, 03:45 PM

I've seen yo-yo ornaments many times, so I don't think anyone can claim a copyright on their design. These would be even faster to make using Clover's Yo-Yo Maker. :D
Old 05-04-2010, 03:47 PM
bj

That is a cute project, but I've seen lots of stuff in the same vein at craft stores and shows. I don't think something that generic seems very copyright-able. We did Christmas ornaments with our kids along the same lines several years ago.
Old 05-04-2010, 03:56 PM
Power Poster

Yo yo type ornaments and fabric leaves have been out for decades.... I don't think her ornaments are anything different enough for a copyright...
Old 05-04-2010, 04:20 PM

The pattern designer doesn't have the right to tell you what you can or can't do with items made from their pattern. Their copyright is for the pattern only. If you copy their pattern and try to sell or give away the pattern, that's a violation of their copyright.
Old 05-04-2010, 06:02 PM

LOL, my grandma had large yo-yo pin cushions and ornaments that she made before I was born---in 1953 ! ! ! Those look amazingly like hers. Especially the peppermint one,
Grandma had several of those on her tree.

How can someone copyright that? I can see copyrighting some amazing tool, a new type of sewing machine that also does your dishes, or fabric that cuts itself after you tell it what size you need but a pattern that's been around for years?????? Make variations to make them your own and go for it.

I agree with ScissorQueen, you can't try to sell her pattern or anything with her name on it.
Old 05-04-2010, 06:52 PM
JJs
Banned

she does, however, have the copyright to that page of instructions - simply because she wrote the instructions, took the pictures, made the ornaments, etc...
so you cannot take her instructions and print them out and sell them, or put them on a website, etc...
but you already knew that LOL

my mother made a yo-yo doll blanket for my sister back when my sister was little (before I was born) my sister is 67 years old - I have a suspicion that was before this other lady was born also...
Old 05-04-2010, 07:33 PM

Okay, let me see if I understand this. If you make the yoyo & maybe put a bell where this lady has the button in the center, that would prevent you from breaking her copyright? Then you could differ the bow, make the leaves and maybe put 3 tiny, red baby buttons as holly berries & it would change the looks again and you would be safe?

I see patterns in Quilt books that you can find on quilters cache or quiltville, but there are written instructions that differ in the books. Or they have a diff. technique in making the blocks. Then they have a copyright on their book. This just confuses me to no end.
Old 05-04-2010, 08:44 PM

Gramof6.....I totally agree. It IS confusing!!! I just glanced thru magazines for quilting AND stained glass. There's hardly ANY patterns there that don't take some form of a block (or glass pattern) and adjust it a little and call it "theirs". I, for one, am going ahead with what I want to do -- sell what I make. If they find me in this little podunk town, want to hire an attorney for my piddley amount of $$ I'd make off them....then so be it. Now, if I were going into mass production .....yeah, that's a different story. But think of it.......the bigbox stores are selling quilts that are VERY much like those we see in the magazines...in fact, some are identical except for the fabric.....any of you want to sue Walmart or J.C. Penny's?????
Old 05-04-2010, 10:22 PM

Originally Posted by amandasgramma
....WELL, her "copyright" said to NOT ever sell it - it's for personal use....
You have the right to make the item presented in the pattern which you legally acquired. You have the right to SELL or give away the item you made.
Old 05-04-2010, 11:50 PM
k3n
Power Poster

I have seen this written in books as well - 'you may make the items in this book for personal use or charity but not to sell'. Why do they write this if we CAN sell the items? I agree, it's confusing and I don't want to break any laws or breach anyone's copyright, but if we've paid for the book, pattern, magazine whatever... Is it a case of if you make a few to sell on a low key scale that's fine but if you go into mass production, that's not? I've read many links that other members have posted re copyright, but am still not clear.