Another snow storm!!

Old 02-09-2010, 04:27 AM

I am in Southeast Michigan..expecting 6 to 10 inches by wednesday morning..we have not had our usual snow fall this season. bad for the economy..we have had only 19 inches this season so far, last year we had 50 by this time.
i have to run out this afternoon and find same salt, and get to the post office. DD is looking forward to a snow day..(she is a teacher) so she can stay home with her 2 year old,Jack.
Old 02-09-2010, 06:23 AM

I feel for you. My son just moved to Philly after graduating college to escape the snow and cold. We're in central Maine and haven't had snow in almost a month and what was on the ground is melting fast. The ski areas are having to make snow on the slopes all day. Mind you, I'm not complaining. We've had our share of cold but snow I can do without.
Old 02-09-2010, 07:57 AM

Originally Posted by kwhite
my coon hound went out yesterday. She was belly deep and just stood in the middle of the yard, started to shiver like her bones were going to fall apart, whine and stared at me. I looked at her and said, "well stupid if it is that cold come in the house" I had to wrap her in a quilt on the couch before she stopped shivering.

*LMAO*. I have to tell my dog that same thing.. it's like they don't have a clue.. and we don't have snow... *LMAO*
Old 02-09-2010, 07:59 AM

I wonder how long it would take to get the biggest stock pots you can find and bring it in, melt it and dump it down the drain... We can't see to back outta our drive and intersections are a joke... The ground is already way too wet, this spring is going to be a disaster... wish we'd already installed that sump pump in our basement... oh well, hindsight is 20/20.
Old 02-09-2010, 09:01 AM

Originally Posted by Lostn51
This is what I woke up to this morning, it was a pretty sight! 4" on the ground and it started rain sleet and snow mixed for the rest of the day and tonite it will be a sheet of ice on the roads until Wednesday or so. I about killed myself trying to get the trash to the curb this evening because my driveway is so steep and it was around an inch of slushy freezing mess on it. Oh well it could be worse I could be up north and have to deal with what you guys have.

Billy
Billy, I don't know where "bikini bottom" is but your neighborhood (i.e., house, yard) looks exactly like mine; I did a double take when I saw your pictures!

Here, in southern NH, we've had the same amount of snow as those in Maine -- a couple of fairly big storms which have all but melted away. We're expecting more tomorrow (about 1" which is fine by me). It hasn't necessarily been cold but very windy! I bundle up like an Eskimo whenever I go out.

Take care everyone!! Given what I've read here about other parts of the country, I'm not looking forward to the Spring thaw and possible flooding. Keep those quilting supplies high & dry!
Old 02-09-2010, 03:53 PM

We're drowning in So. California.
Old 02-09-2010, 10:38 PM

Hi,does anyone know how to take scents out of carpet? It doesn't smell until I vacum. I have tried baking soda and resolve,but still smells. Please help. SueLynn
Old 02-10-2010, 01:03 PM

Originally Posted by Lisanne
Originally Posted by renee765
After looking at photos of people shoveling all the snow, I wonder why no one has invented something like a bigger hair blower to melt the snow instead of shovel it?
Snow blowers do exist. You can buy them at Home Depot, among other places. They run from $600 - $1400 there.

I suppose you don't see people using them on the news because it's more entertaining to see people struggling with shovels. Then again, probably most people don't own one.

But I like your creative mind!

Had to laugh. Moved to Charlotte, NC after living in MD/PA most of my life. Last weekend we had about 2" of snow with ice on top and I saw a guy trying to clear the sidewalk with a LEAF BLOWER. cracked me up. Nothing was going anywhere, yet he remained standing there with it trying
Old 02-11-2010, 04:03 AM
Lyn

http://www.procreo.jp/labo/flower_garden.swf This was sent to me by one of my quilting friends so I thought I'd share.
Old 02-15-2010, 10:48 AM

Originally Posted by SueLynn
Hi,does anyone know how to take scents out of carpet? It doesn't smell until I vacum. I have tried baking soda and resolve,but still smells. Please help. SueLynn
Are you sure it's the carpet that smells and not the vacuum cleaner? Maybe you need to change the bag?

If it is the carpet, I would think what you've tried would work. Daily vacuuming with the baking soda might help over time.