antique sale featherweight

Old 05-22-2016, 01:55 PM

Originally Posted by lynnie View Post
went to an antique sale today, she was pretty in her box , no instruction manual or feet. she was, are you ready, $425!!! I thought about it twice and said what do i need another for and at price!!! so everyone who has one you can go tell your husband or wife that i saw it $425 and you got a deal on yours.
That does seem a bit much for one with manual or feet. I paid $275 for mine, but that was about 10 years ago.
Old 05-22-2016, 02:55 PM
Power Poster

I love hearing everyones stories too!
Old 05-22-2016, 04:34 PM

I just bought one a couple of weeks ago for $440. It has a case, oil can, 5 bobbins, 8 feet and the booklet. Most of the gold on the base is in great shape. It also had a look over and tune up by my quilt shop repair center.
Old 05-23-2016, 03:18 AM

I traded my 401a for a 99k in cabinet from a sewer machine repairman and love it. Saw a mint condition white FW this weekend and made an offer on it but was declined at 495.00, he wanted 599 and still no offer on it. BUT I did get a black FW for 175..only machine & case with cord. CL around here is too high, guess they think it's too valuable to let it
Go at reasonable price. So u just have to keep looking and let others know you are in the market for one and maybe
One will show up affordable.
Old 05-23-2016, 04:55 AM

Lynnie, how are you? I can't believe how much our antique stores are selling Featherweights for. Our house here on the Island is now up for sale and I've been contemplating which machines to sell off. I've decided to keep all three FW's, my serger and my Rocketeer. I'm going to sell my Sears Kenmore and my two Brothers. Having a huge yard sale late June.
Old 05-23-2016, 05:59 AM

Originally Posted by lynnie View Post
went to an antique sale today, she was pretty in her box , no instruction manual or feet. she was, are you ready, $425!!! I thought about it twice and said what do i need another for and at price!!! so everyone who has one you can go tell your husband or wife that i saw it $425 and you got a deal on yours.

Wow that's amazing , I knew the crinkle finish machines went for a lot but did not know until recently that the standard black ones were in such high demand . I tend to be more interested in treadle or crank machines as I like antiques and have a nice featherweight in case w/ all the accessories just sitting in the closet that I may part with to fund the kitty if these are the prices they are going for now
Old 05-23-2016, 09:04 AM

When I see them in antique malls, that's about what they are. I got both of mine for about $150 or so each at estate sales. Whenever we see them my husband points them out, but why would I need another one
Old 05-23-2016, 09:21 AM

I stop at a re-cycle "artsy" store on my way home from work occasionally. They have some crazy things like corks, puzzles pieces, bottle caps. It can be fun to see what they have. I stopped in last Tuesday and came across a lady sitting on the floor, trying out the most pristine featherweight I have ever seen. It looked brand new. I hovered around for awhile to see if she was going to purchase it or put it back, and trying to think how much I would pay for such a fine machine. Store was closing and I followed her up to the cash register. She paid $50! Ugh! I was just a little late in getting that gem!
Old 05-23-2016, 11:02 AM
Power Poster

DebbieC, I'm doing great, but almost had a heart attack over the price.
tlpa, what a steal she got on that one. I'm hoping i can get another one at a price like that.
How is the housing market going for you. I hope, for your sake, that you sell soon.
Old 05-23-2016, 12:11 PM

I have had 3 FWs...DH came home from an estate sale several years ago, having paid $175 for the one he brought home...works beautifully! The other two I had purchased, and neither of those were over $250. Love those machines! I also have a 99K that I plan on converting to a hand-crank as the motor does not run.