Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Any glueten free members here??

I am trying to start the GF diet...........Seen a new Doctor last week, and has given me a diet called "Phase One Diet" - it is to help me "free up" and start finding what I am possibly allegic to. They gave me a web site to check out and it has some very interesting articles about the food we should eat.

www.knowthecause.com

I was also told to stay away from some dairy products and no Soy foods. I had a feeling I was allergic to milk, so I only it had it on occassional cereal bowl. I checked out a "Almond Breeze" made from almonds, it is wonderful, need to make sure you shake the carton, but I thought it was great. I was the kid that could drink a gallon of fresh dairy milk growing up in a day or so, so I have had a hard time adjusting to that, but I love the "Almond Breeze in Vanilla".

Thanks for starting this post, I've been meaning to start one, and I've been concentrating on collecting stuff about the diet and using it. Now i need to go through cubbards and throw out stuff, which I am having a hard time, all the money and the great foods I would make from scratch, not liking it, but if I start feeling better and have increased energy and health will be better for it, it will be worth it. Now just to get DH to understand, he needs to do this change too.
    Last edited by Robinlee; 10-04-2012 at 09:47 AM.
    "We can never have too much fabric" and "May the Fabric Fairy always keep your stash filled".

Robinlee

I found that Bette Hagman's cookbooks also have very useful lists of condiments and other things containing gluten. She also has a recipe for "gluten-free flour" that contains rice flour, tapioca starch, and potato flour. I found that good sources for these items as well as rice vermicelli are the asian food stores.

I am allergic to dairy, wheat products, hypoglycemia, have difficulty digesting beef/ pork. And on top of that have had many stomach ulcers! Knew about milk and I thought I was just "high strung" until if found out about gluten and meat. I am now GF and read all labels for any hint of wheat or by-products of it. Also, I don't eat anything related to milk or lactose or lactase. Blue Diamond almond milk, original because of added sugar to the vanilla, is all I use and have used it cooking and making my smoothies. Udi's gluten free bread works for me, as does Good for Life brown rice bread which soy, wheat and gluten-free. Bahama makes a rice based italian meat balls and hamburgers that are wheat, soy, gluten and meat free. They are made with black beans, etc. No meat.
    I am doing what is called "eating clean". Only veggies, GF as I listed, lean, free-range chicken, and deep water fish. I am very careful about salad dressings and have found I can only eat Thousand Island and am making my own. For a cereal, Kellogg's Corn Flakes, Rice Krispies, and Rice Chex with almond milk are ok as a treat for me. My husband has finally come on board and we have lost weight. Carbs have been eliminated for me except for the few GF ones listed for sandwich. He uses 15 or 12 grain breads. Everything I basically cook is grilled and only use vegan, and milk-free products like Smart Balance. They have several kinds so be sure to read the label for milk. I do use Pam or coconut oil spray for my George Foreman grill.
    When we have guests or family visiting, they eat what I eat (except maybe breads) and what I cook. With much trial and error, I am becoming better at GF and have felt better than ever as I have been allergic all my life and didn't know except for milk and being hypoglycemic since a teenager. GF has changed my life. I hope you will be successful. Perserverance, adaptation, and longing not to be sick anymore will dramatically change your life as well. God bless you as you go on your journey.
    (Sorry to be so verbose)...

Blog Entries
    My daughter has a gluten-free brownie business - www.sweetgirlbrowniecompany.com. She uses rice flour. They've been tested and are certified GF. Everyone who tries them says they're the best brownies they've ever had. It's fun to go to a tasting event and watch people try them. First, there's the "O" shaped mouth, followed by "That's the best brownie I've ever tasted!"

She used to make several varieties of brownies (non-gluten, spiced, orange), but the GF have been by far the most popular, and I like them best even though I don't have to eat GF. By the way, these are NOT a health food - LOL.

I have gone gluten free(and it's not that easy doing it as alot of things have gluten in it, things you wouldn't suspect). I follow a Dr. Osbourne at http://www.glutenfreesociety.org. Awesome site, and it gives you plenty of info on it.

Just started the gluten free diet for my DH a few weeks ago &, WOW, what a difference it has made in him. There is a lot of gluten free stuff out there, but very costly. You will also have to worry about cross contamination. Like butter , mayo, stuff like that can't be used for both diets. A good site to go to for info & sign up for weekly free recipes is http://www.livingwithout.com This site really helped me to convert over. You will have to watch for warnings on labels of things that have no gluten in them, but are processed in a wear house that also process wheat, barley & rye. Those items will be cross contaminated so stay away from them too. The main thing to remember is to read everything. It is a shock to switch over to start with, but really does get easier. Another no no is caramel. I made it easier on my self by getting rid of everything in the house that would cross contaminate his food. With it only being just him & myself, it was easy to do, but with a family may be harder.

I have also tried to go gluten free . It seems after my surgery I developed all kinds of "allergies" . I cannot have anything with soy in it. No wheat, which is hard for me because if someone asked if I wanted a piece of bread or a brownie it would have been the bread every time. Not regular white bread but rye, french, italian, irish soda bread etc. Always made my own white bread and I just loved it. But most of the gluten free stuff I have tried tastes awful to me. I got the Rice Krispies gluten free and to me it tastes like styrofoam. The only way I can get it down is to put cinnamon sugar on it. And I have been trying to cut back on sugar too. .. I cannot stand the tastes of the flavored milks .. I do not want vanilla on my cereal I want milk. lol Also being on a really tight budget and being alone the special stuff is expensive and I don't like cooking just for me since I end up throwing a lot of food away. If I don't eat it constantly until its gone,i get tired of eating the same thing, there is no where here to really store it. I have taken to just doing the best I can eating a lot of soups and tuna fish and salads. Most recipes and shopping are for more than one person . or they figure you have a freezer.

I use products from Bob's Red Mill www.bobsredmill.com I don't work for them but use their gluten free products.
    The cookbook I use is "The Gluten-Free Gourmet, Living Well Without Wheat" by Betty Hagman
    http://www.oregonquilting.net
    I choose to give my life away for things that last forever

What you need to keep in mind is that foods cannot be called GF, unless they meet the GF standards. A food such as Jello, is GF in its own sense ... however, unless they can guarantee that it is manufactured in a plant where all is GF, then they can't make that declaration for safety's sake.

Likewise for products stating they are nut-free. They may be ... but if there's a nut anywhere within the facility, then they can't make the guarantee, and you'll often stated on the packaging that they are not making that claim.

We have an ice cream company here that has some ice cream that is GF, nut free etc. and some that is not. And people wonder why some are? and some are not? Simple enough ... two plants where one is kept "clean" and thus the labelling ... and the other infiltrators are kept to the other plant.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Sew many ideas ... just sew little time!!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Gluten free here; Celiac and have the genes to prove it. It can be hard at first, but the benefits far outweigh the complexity. Many foods never did contain gluten. Fresh fruits, veggies, meats are the basis for most of our diets. Stay away from sauces, prepared foods, unpronounceable ingredients (aka science projects). Buy Jovial pasta, lentil crackers, udi's bread/rolls/granola, one of the several Chex gf cereals, and check out the Bready bread maker. ( www.mybready.com )

fast food is hard... Wendy's chili is fairly safe. Dominoes has a new gf pizza, and ask for the gf menu in restaurants, or failing that, get a large salad and a grilled chicken breast. Be sure to ask that no seasonings be put on your chicken. Marinades and seasonings are big sources of hidden gluten. You can add salt and pepper at the table, and if u aren't sure of the dressings, go for oil and vinegar or lemon wedges. Don't allow this to wreck your life. It's a situation u can live with.

PF Chang's has a great gf menu.

Feel free to email me if you need to talk... I get it!

S.

Keeping a Gf kitchen is not hard once you are used to it. Cooking for one person who is GF free and one who is not GF is not hard either. I make my husband's GF bread because he hasn't found a commercial bread he will eat. He has his own toaster. I buy my own white wheat bread and toast it in my toaster. No problem. Because you need to go GF free you don't HAVE to do anything else unless you choose to or a doctor tells you to. We eat meat, eggs, canned vegies, frozen vegies, once in a while a fresh vegie, eat out when we want to. Mexican food is usually pretty safe to eat out. Grilled anything. Chili's has a great GF menu. This is a different and more expensive diet, but not terribly hard.

Blog Entries
    My daughter has been for 4 years and it has made a world of difference for her.She got mold and mildew poison at college,this has become a way of life for her.Angies gluton free is a great web site.Any of the products from Pamelas are great.Glutino products are good, have yet to be able to make good homemade bread.I did not realize what all has gluton in it.I was the first to go to our local Ingles market and talk with the manager about carrying gluton free products. I have spent hours in the store and read many labels.The manager will assist you in finding their products. Now we have a bigger selection of items. I also do all of my own vegiges,We raise a beef ,kill wild deer and turkey, I will not tell you it is easy at first but it will become second nature to you ,also suggest to her that she go with you and learn this together, I do not know how old she is but if this a way of life she will need to learn for her self at a young age.Going out to eat has been the biggest problem for her, being 21 and having friends that want to go out is hard untill your habits and knowledge has set.Good luck and I pray the diet will solve you daughters health issues.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by luvTooQuilt View Post
    My daughters doctor suggested we all go GLUTEN free for a month and see if her tummy troubles mend themselves.. Ive been concerned with the 'medicine' we have been trying and how much of it we have to give her. So another doctor suggested we try for a month -gluten free foods-and see if we notice any difference..

Im looking for moral 'support' to help us on our journey to better health and a GLUTEN free diet ...

Any gluten free member out there that can assist on helping figure out labels that dont state gluten free ? and compile foods that are..

thanks for reading... I look forward to hearing from fellow gluten free members

~Luv
    My DD had the blood test they can do now and she was alergic to 12 things, mainly gluten. she uses alot of corn tortillias for sandwiches and can eat out at a chinese restaurant and orders rice noodles, almond milk is not too bad, check the specialty shelves in grocery stores. check on line...shes gets alot there too. Good luck
    Retired and living in NE Michigan

My daughter has celiac.
    Think about it. It was unknown until Monsanto and others started genetic experiments with our seeds.
    There are so many people now that even Walmart has lots of gluten free products.

[QUOTE=Rose Marie;5563562]My daughter has celiac.
    Think about it. It was unknown until Monsanto and others started genetic experiments with our seeds.
    QUOTE]
    My husband has the gene for celiac disease. It activated just 3 years ago. His cousin has Crohn's Disease. Both are autoimmune diseases that have inherited tendencies. He is 73 and is too old for Monsanto to have caused the DNA gene pattern he was born with.

I am GF and make pizza using polenta sliced very thin for the crust. It's very good! I cook it in grapeseed oil by itself for a while to brown it up some, flip it over, then add the toppings as for any pizza. I mean I grease the pan with grapeseed oil. Canola would work too. We eat it with a fork, it can't be picked up like a pizza slice. I call it "PizzaLenta" (Pizza-polenta). Check your spaghetti sauce for gluten, or use fresh tomatoes and herbs.

I have used grits instead of bread for many of our breakfast meals too. The nice thing is you get a little nutrition and fiber using corn instead of flour.
    :-)
    CAS

Blog Entries
    I went Wheat /Gluten free a month ago. I have had breathing problems for 12 yrs and after 2 weeks of no wheat/gluten my breathing was free and clear!!

I have found that some restaurants have a list online of their gluten free menu items. You can seach and find them and be prepared when you go. Applebee's had a book she brought out and they copied hte page for me so I have the page in my billfold for next time. I also printed off McDs from online.

For McDs I found the only GF meat was a regular hamb or double hamb. So I get that and a salad. Some of their dressings are GF.

Mostly you need to remember if it has been thickened or flavored you need to suspect wheat as the thickening agent. So all sauces /all soups / all dressings are suspect til you read the label and or check the manufacturer.

All plain meats / all plain vegs-fruits are naturally gluten free.

Shar is a brand that Walmart sells. They have a Penne pasta that is really good. I can't tell the difference.

I made a dish where you layer cooked Penne then shredded Colby cheese then cooked hamb. Layer this three times and I used milk instead of tomato juice and pour about a fourth to half cup milk over the top depending on the size of your dish.
    I added some shredded colby to the top also before baking at 350 til it is all bubbling. about 20 to 30 mins should heat it through well.

Glutino is another brand I use from Walmart. I bought some crackers a couple of days ago so I can make a meatloaf with them. I eat alot of nuts as it is what my dr said I should use as snacks for my trygycerides.

I'm not allergic so I do bend hte rules a bit. I use things that have modified food starch in them. I read that it is usually corn modified so I use it.

I did find a trace of wheat in my sugar free koolaid but since I gave up pop several months ago I am not giving up my koolaid! LOL

I have changed to a GF diet after being sick and skinny my whole life. It is a lot easier now than even a few years ago. My Walmart has a section of GF at the end of their bakery aisle. Hodgson's Mill has a bunch of products, like baking mix, that is versatile. They told me it tends to be dryer than, say, Bisquick, so add fruit. Hodgson's is also available at Walmart and some grocery stores. The good thing with a GF diet is if you cant afford to pay extra for the substitutes, you can just omit the gluten and still be benefited. There is no gluten in fruits and vegetables!

My daughter has Celiac's and has been gluten free for 6 years now. some things you don't think about include - licking envelopes & stamps, soy sauce (only one is gluten free) lunch meat, etc. If you'd like you can pm me & l'll send you her email address so she can give you ideas & help.

My youngest daughter was recently diagnosed with celiac. She told us her DR said it was genetic, so DH thinks he may have it. So, I'm on a quest for recipes and ingredients to try. I ordered "LOSE THE WHEAT, LOSE THE WEIGHT" by Dr. William Davis. My DH, after reading some in this book, told me to check out the blog by glutenfreegoddess. She has some good recipes and also details about different flour blends to make. http://glutenfreegoddess.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by MS/L.A. G.R.I.T.S. View Post
    My youngest daughter was recently diagnosed with celiac. She told us her DR said it was genetic, so DH thinks he may have it. So, I'm on a quest for recipes and ingredients to try. I ordered "LOSE THE WHEAT, LOSE THE WEIGHT" by Dr. William Davis. My DH, after reading some in this book, told me to check out the blog by glutenfreegoddess. She has some good recipes and also details about different flour blends to make. http://glutenfreegoddess.blogspot.com/
    I don't know the age of your daughter, but your nearest Children's Hospital will have a lot of literature that is factual, not fad based and not geared to anything buy medical, dietary information. If your child is not referred to them, your dietitian or even your doctor should be able to order a copy of their info for you. If you contact them, it might available to you without a referral. A lot of GF info has other dietary concerns mixed in with it such as diary free, meat free, etc which is not always what a doctor orders. A medical diet is not the same as a fad diet.

I am a gluten free member. Please feel free to email me with any questions.
    Susette
    http://fabricribbonandyarn.blogspot.com/

I have been gluten free for 5 months. Within the first week I couldn't believe how much better I felt. However I have accidentally eaten gluten twice and became very ill for over a week. Feel free to send me a private message if you wish. I am slowly learning. I am also allergic to Dairy, Soy and Shellfish so I have had a harder time finding good recipes or premade products which I am able to eat. Discovering coconut milk and coconut oil for cooking has made a huge difference for me. But it is so worth it, it is amazing how much better I feel.

Kat

I have been gluten free for about 15 years or so. IT STINKS!!!! But I have learned to deal with it. I have a great gluten free recipe for peanut butter cookies, if you want it. It helps you feel less deprived. The only thing I will say is make sure you have cleaned everything in the kitchen really well before you cook. Also, watch spices. Some spices use wheat as a anticlumping agent. I have found that the cheaper spices are usually without wheat.

Quote Originally Posted by Battle Axe View Post
    I am not an expert in gluten but have worked with some who have celiac. Rather I am an entomologist working with honeybees.

Man has a long association with wheat. Suddenly, about the time that they started putting bromine in the flour, celian disease reared it's ugly head. So is it the gluten in the wheat? Is it the wheat breeding that has put more gluten in the wheat (rathar than the regular amount that was in there in the 1800's) or the bromide added?

No doubt there are some who are allergic to gluten. But bromine is a poison related to chlorine and flourine that mades up the flouride toothpaste. There are some bromine free flours, King Arthur flour is one, but it doesn't make delicious cookies and they don't bake correctly. Bromine and it's cousin bromide are dough enhancers and make for quick baking breads and pasteries that we have grown accustomed to.

The friend I am helping has had to cut out all gluten free mixes as what they replace the gluten with is even worse.
    Go back to nature. Eat real meat, real lettuce (romaine only) real fresh fruit. Yeah, it's a real change. Feel free to PM me.

Marcia
    Wow, I didn't know about this. I have to research this. Thanks for the info.
    Susette
    http://fabricribbonandyarn.blogspot.com/

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast