any herb growers out there

Old 03-22-2011, 07:36 PM

I grow herbs too but don't have any seeds:(
Old 03-22-2011, 07:51 PM

Originally Posted by jaciqltznok
Originally Posted by Veronica
Are you the person who grows potatoes in old bluejeans?
yes...they go in this weekend!
How does this work?
I tried to google it, but came up with nothing.
Old 03-22-2011, 08:00 PM

For pest control in the garden, garlic, oregano, tons of basil, sage and rosemary! OH and borage of course..

for medicinal many have to be started from cuttings..they just are hardier..but if you greenhouse you can do them from seed!
I grow borage, chicory, chives, wormwood, bergamot, bay leaf, echinacea, fever few, rue, lavender, lemon balm, marjoram, mullein, parsley, patchouli, sage, stevia, all mints, yarrow, poppies, goodness..there are so many...

some are used in foods as well as for medicines..I make teas/tisanes mostly and some bath and skin care products as well.

I love herbs...and believe that they make the very best landscaping material!

here is a great chart on what they can be used for..I have tons of books I use!
http://www.herbsguide.net/

I grew patchouli last year, just loved it.
Re-mined me of my teen years, ha,ha, loved it then and love it now. Tried to keep it over the winter but failed.
I'll defently get a new plant this year.
Grew alot of mint trying to keep the deer out of the garden, but that failed also.
Old 03-22-2011, 08:10 PM
Banned

Are you the person who grows potatoes in old bluejeans?
yes...they go in this weekend!
How does this work?
I tried to google it, but came up with nothing.
I found those new fangled potato growing bags to be nothing more than thin landscape fabric..I wanted something a bit heartier..so I use old denim blue jean skirts. I run a string like making a yo-yo and gather it up on the bottom, then I roll the top down to about 8", then I add 6" of soil and taters..as the plant grows I "hill" it up by adding more soil as I roll up the sides...
Old 03-22-2011, 08:11 PM
Banned

For pest control in the garden, garlic, oregano, tons of basil, sage and rosemary! OH and borage of course..

for medicinal many have to be started from cuttings..they just are hardier..but if you greenhouse you can do them from seed!
I grow borage, chicory, chives, wormwood, bergamot, bay leaf, echinacea, fever few, rue, lavender, lemon balm, marjoram, mullein, parsley, patchouli, sage, stevia, all mints, yarrow, poppies, goodness..there are so many...

some are used in foods as well as for medicines..I make teas/tisanes mostly and some bath and skin care products as well.

I love herbs...and believe that they make the very best landscaping material!

here is a great chart on what they can be used for..I have tons of books I use!
http://www.herbsguide.net/

I grew patchouli last year, just loved it.
Re-mined me of my teen years, ha,ha, loved it then and love it now. Tried to keep it over the winter but failed.
I'll defently get a new plant this year.
Grew alot of mint trying to keep the deer out of the garden, but that failed also.
my patchouli lasted outside for 3 years...it gave up last year...and it is hard to find around here...will have to order online this year I think..it is so good for the bees..and ME..
Old 03-22-2011, 08:13 PM

I would like to grow Stevia this year? Have you tried that yet? And if so, how do you use it from the plant? I have it in a box. My husband loves it.
Old 03-22-2011, 08:20 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by trisha
I would like to grow Stevia this year? Have you tried that yet? And if so, how do you use it from the plant? I have it in a box. My husband loves it.
oh my..it is great to grow..easy...I grow it in pots..it is best to get it from a nursery and taste the leaves to find a good sweet one..they do better from cuttings than from seed... they are only annual, so you either have to do a cutting from your plant or buy a new one each year...

I chew the leaves with either a double mint or a spearmint leaf just like gum..I also use the leaves in my iced tea..with mint leaves as well..and it can be dried on screen or dehydrator and stored in jars, simply crush and use in teas...as a diabetic I just love stevia!
Old 03-22-2011, 09:51 PM

I just bought a book on herb gardens, want to try some in pots. Any hints or tips for me. I'm in the Pacific NW, ID about 90 miles from Canada, don't know what zone, and I don't have much of a green thumb, but would love to learn. I use essential oils alot but would love fresh herbs for me. Thanks for all your tips.
Old 03-23-2011, 06:43 AM

I have a funny aside to tell you about herbs:
When I was about 24 I grew tons of herbs and had a very nice herb garden "admired by all". A young man came 'courting' and asked me if I wanted to come and have a look at his herb garden (yes, we all know about 'come and see my etchings). Anyway, I was interested enough to go and look. He took me into the house and I was worried I was going to see some illegal plants...he opened the back door and there in front of me was ten acres of parsley!
We still have a laugh about the herb garden whenever we meet.
Old 03-23-2011, 06:55 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by angelwatcher
I just bought a book on herb gardens, want to try some in pots. Any hints or tips for me. I'm in the Pacific NW, ID about 90 miles from Canada, don't know what zone, and I don't have much of a green thumb, but would love to learn. I use essential oils alot but would love fresh herbs for me. Thanks for all your tips.
I grew herbs in pots while living in Bethel, Alaska...look it up..400 miles west of Anchorage off of any road system! It was 40 below most of the year, on permafrost...but by golly I had fresh herbs to put up for the winter soups/stews!

My daughter now lives in ID!

Growing herbs in pots is easy..growing herbs is easy..they are like weeds and do not require much attention! Some are annual and some are perennial, so base your plantings on that...if they are annual, use anything you find to plant them, old boots, cooking pots, etc..they will be fine...if it is perennial, then plant is the BEST clay pots you can get..so that they can be moved indoors for the winter...even if it is a garage!

herbs love to be touched and used..do not be afraid to cut them back once or twice during the summer...I cut every week to encourage heartier growth on the perennials..especially their first two years!

If you don't want to share, then ask me about storing them!