Any serger experts here?

Old 06-09-2015, 04:17 AM

I took a serger class a few months ago and the instructor had us remove the threads from the machine. We all were thinking we would never get them threaded again but...she had us start with the far right spool and begin there using our manuals for instruction. In a jiff all of the machines were threaded. She had us do that three times and now it is not a daunting task.

I don't use my serger a whole lot so I won't be buying a new one anytime soon. We made baby quilts using the flat lock stitch on the sergers. I learned so much and had a good time as well.

Forgot to say I have the five thread Singer 14T967DC.

Last edited by SingerSewer; 06-09-2015 at 04:19 AM.
Old 06-09-2015, 05:00 AM

It all depends on your budget. I have an Evolve Wave and then new Ovation.....love them both. Self threading is the way to go.
Old 06-09-2015, 10:43 AM

I also have a BabyLock Evolve and have loved it for years. I upgraded to it specifically for the air threading, the self-adjusting tension and the cover stitch. It is not hard to switch from regular overlock to the cover stitch and I assume that the newer models are the same if not easier. I have used mine a lot through the years for everything from shortening sleeve hems (cover stitch!) to prom dresses to dance costumes to slipcovers and curtains. I would buy another Babylock in a minute if this one ever gives up the ghost but I don't foresee that happening.
Old 06-09-2015, 03:03 PM

Why don't you get your manual out and learn how to change the threads? If it is a 4 thread machine, the sequence is #3 thread, #4 thread, #2 thread then #1. 3 and 4 are the lower loupers, and 2 & 1 are the needles. I use a dental floss guide to thread the lower area, it is a bit tricky, but easy when you use the floss guide. The guide looks like a giant plastic needle with a big eye. You can find them in the toothbrush area of your grocery store. My machine has a guide inside the machine so one can follow it. I have a Bernina 4-thread machine.
Old 06-09-2015, 04:12 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Pat M. View Post
Why don't you get your manual out and learn how to change the threads? If it is a 4 thread machine, the sequence is #3 thread, #4 thread, #2 thread then #1. 3 and 4 are the lower loupers, and 2 & 1 are the needles. I use a dental floss guide to thread the lower area, it is a bit tricky, but easy when you use the floss guide. The guide looks like a giant plastic needle with a big eye. You can find them in the toothbrush area of your grocery store. My machine has a guide inside the machine so one can follow it. I have a Bernina 4-thread machine.
Somehow I don't think the manual will improve my eyesight.
Old 06-14-2015, 06:43 PM

One thing to consider with a serger is what your intended use is. If you are going to use it mainly for doll clothes and small children's clothes, you will want to consider the width of the foot. The foot on an eight thread machine may be too wide. I have an older Evolve eight thread and it is not that good on curves. I finally purchased a four thread Imagine and it does much better on curves and in smaller areas. "Test driving" different models at a dealer's will help you figure out which machine suits your needs the best.
Old 06-14-2015, 08:15 PM
Power Poster

Different sergers have different threading orders. Do it the way the manual suggests.

Watching a youtube video is really helpful.
Old 06-14-2015, 11:55 PM

I have an old baby lock serger, and I used a label maker and labeled the top against corresponding threads 1-4 to remind me to thread in correct sequence, as long as you follow sequence it's a two minute job to rethread. When I tied the threads on they always snapped or came undone at last minute and was more frustrating. Just ordered the Juki with air threading, waiting on it arriving should be in next day or two will let you know how it goes, reviews are great.
Old 06-15-2015, 06:42 AM

bhenson, I have the Ovation 8 thread and it does great with curves. Last yr they came out with a curved foot for the latest machines, even the Evolve should be able to use it. It's shorter than the normal foot for the serger so its easier to turn