Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Anybody have any experience with a prepaid Visa or Mastercard by Greendot? >

Anybody have any experience with a prepaid Visa or Mastercard by Greendot?

Anybody have any experience with a prepaid Visa or Mastercard by Greendot?

Old 06-08-2012, 08:26 AM

A lot of the cards, I know the MC & VISA Gift Cards don't work at Gas Stations or if they do like jk5602 said they hold deposit not sure how long but know it is past the time that you cut off the gas and get on your way. Thinking it might be like a couple of days
Old 06-08-2012, 02:41 PM

Originally Posted by annthreecats View Post
I bought a GreenDot Visa card for my vacation next month. I'm planning on using it for restaurants, gas and small purchases so my real debit card information isn't floating out there. I had my debit card information stolen a couple of years ago using it at a gas station in my town, they cleaned out my checking account and my overdraft money. That was really scary. Anyway, I just loaded $30.00 on the card to see how that worked and that was pretty painless, but when I try to register the card on the GreenDot website to create an account with it, the website keeps telling me I have an invalid account number. I'm going to wait 24 hours and try again.

Anybody else have any experience with these cards?
You need to take the card and the receipt back to the place you got it at - then make sure THEY (the store - customer service or store manager), need to activate it!!! If the person who sold it to you did not do ALL of the steps that the store should do - your card will NOT work. Good luck!
Old 06-08-2012, 06:41 PM

Son uses it all the time. No trouble.
Old 06-09-2012, 05:01 AM

I don't have a Green Dot but what I did was to open a checking account with a maximum balance of $500. I use this card to purchase items from the internet. I replenish whenever it runs low from my regular checking account. It was funny when I set it up the bank personnel nicknamed it "Internet". I don't pay any fees for low balances or any other type of fees.
Old 06-09-2012, 12:33 PM

I only tried to use a pre-paid card one time -- loaded on enough for my vacation, but didn't use the last $20 or so. Of course, after a year and a half I couldn't remember the pin or where I had moved it when I moved into my new room, so I couldn't add to it or gain the benefit of the reloading it.

I find credit cards are the best -- there is a legal $50 limit that can be charged to you in case it is stolen or scanned by someone too lazy to work. I can handle that and don't have to worry about remembering a pin, etc.
Old 06-09-2012, 03:24 PM

I continue to have trouble registering the two GreenDot cards I signed up for. GreenDot told me to call the customer service 800 number to get them registered, but I was hoping to do it all on line. I looked at reviews of the company after I signed up for the cards and their customer service is not getting high marks. So, I have decided to cancel these cards as soon as I get them in the mail. I'm really disappointed because I thought this would be an easy way to keep my real debit card in my wallet, but it's not working as smoothly as I need it to and I'm not going to spend a lot of time on this. I am going to check out the Walmart card next week in the store. Thinking the Walmart card might work better since I can always go to the store with any problems.
Old 06-09-2012, 09:29 PM

I have given and used prepaid cards and never had a problem. But what I did learn is that if you try to.use it for greater than the amount it will just come up as denied instead of showing an additional amount due.
Old 06-09-2012, 10:28 PM
T.

I have been looking for a pre-paid card as well. today I looked at the card offered by CapitalOne, and it sounded pretty good. Most cards charge a monthly fee, but the CapitalOne card does not charge a monthly maintenace fee, as long as you reload it (direct deposit), with $ 500.00 every month. I think I may try this one, at least it's a better known bank. Here is the link to it if you want more information: http://www.capitalone.com/prepaid-ca...4_02_T_PCMFEES