Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Anybody keeping up with Sister Wives?? >

Anybody keeping up with Sister Wives??

Anybody keeping up with Sister Wives??

Old 11-29-2010, 10:05 PM

Originally Posted by pookie ookie
The first page of this thread made me snort.

Biologically, it should be a brother husband situation. I need at least six men to keep up with me. Hopefully, soon it will be legal. I can afford 27 brother husbands on 3 compounds... I've done the math.

Anyone watch Big Love? "The Prophet" Roman was always going on about gay marriage leading the way. The show starts up again in January.
love love Big Love I don"t think I would ever want or need more than 1 husband LOL
Old 11-29-2010, 11:57 PM

I watched it once and it was painful. These women have been brainwashed by their community or the men into believing that sharing the divided loyalties of a man who is just a philanderer at best, and a pedophile at worse, is acceptable.

I was in an abusive marriage for 20 years and this makes me sick to my stomach, literally. Substitute an abused woman who rationalizes that it's not too bad... he only hits her occasionally... and it's really no different.

I also cannot stand any of these reality shows. It is degrading to everyone involved and it lowers society as a whole. When we can sit and laugh at other peoples' misfortunes, when we can sit and cheer on someone who is betraying others, are we any better than the Romans who cheered the Christians being killed in the arena?
Old 11-30-2010, 04:55 AM

Originally Posted by pittsburgpam
I watched it once and it was painful. These women have been brainwashed by their community or the men into believing that sharing the divided loyalties of a man who is just a philanderer at best, and a pedophile at worse, is acceptable.

I was in an abusive marriage for 20 years and this makes me sick to my stomach, literally. Substitute an abused woman who rationalizes that it's not too bad... he only hits her occasionally... and it's really no different.

I also cannot stand any of these reality shows. It is degrading to everyone involved and it lowers society as a whole. When we can sit and laugh at other peoples' misfortunes, when we can sit and cheer on someone who is betraying others, are we any better than the Romans who cheered the Christians being killed in the arena?
I have to agree with you. My husband was verbally abusive at times, and I just took it, because that is what we were taught to do. The only reality shows I watch are DWTS and Americas Next Top Model. I enjoy Cake Boss too. Don't watch much TV. Oh, and sometimes I watch The Apprentice.
Old 11-30-2010, 06:13 AM

He's a jerk, thinks he's so hot, those women are pathetic and stupid. It was so funny, the three of them were sitting and one said she knew he was really missing all of them, while he was on the honeymoon and then it showed him and new bride on the beach playing around lifting her up and hugging her,he was not even thinking of those other wives and kids.
Old 11-30-2010, 06:17 AM

Wow -- I put off reading this thread for a long time, thinking you all would like it and didn't want to change my attitude about this forum. I'm with you all.....he's a jerk, only watched part of it one time, find it disgusting, ashamed of the women that put up with that crap and wonder how much of MY tax dollars are paying for those children. Too bad the media makes so much off these reality shows...I'd like to see all of them off the air.
Old 11-30-2010, 07:24 AM
Banned

Yuck! I watched it a couple of times. They are all mental. Between them and the Duggars,,,,oh well, 'nuff said!
Old 11-30-2010, 09:23 AM

Originally Posted by Riversong
Yuck! I watched it a couple of times. They are all mental. Between them and the Duggars,,,,oh well, 'nuff said!
I like the Duggers. Jim Bob is loving and supportive of his wife I don't think you can say that of the sister wives show. They may have a ton of kids (and that's kind of crazy) but there is no moral depravity which I believe is definitely a description of polygamist marriage. If you watch that show in this last season you've seen more of Jim Bob doing what he can with the preemie and encouraging Michelle to get out of the house. We've also seen him take all the kids but Josie (the preemie) on two trips. That's a lot for one parent to do but it's allowed Michelle to have some quiet time with the baby.
Old 11-30-2010, 09:35 AM

Originally Posted by grann of 6

I have to agree with you. My husband was verbally abusive at times, and I just took it, because that is what we were taught to do. The only reality shows I watch are DWTS and Americas Next Top Model. I enjoy Cake Boss too. Don't watch much TV. Oh, and sometimes I watch The Apprentice.
My first husband was verbally abusive most of the time and physically abusive on a few occasions. I stayed for almost 10 yrs because of how I was brought up and a lack of a good role model on marriage. Both my parents were on their 3rd marriages when I married my first husband.
I generally enjoy the positive reality shows, like Project Runway, Kate plus 8, Ace of Cakes (I personally can't stand Cake Boss I think its that East Coast thing that turns me off). I like America's Next Top Model but find that I wish they had a "finishing" school for some of those girls because they are so rude and sometimes give off this air of entitlement. I have enjoyed watching the the Top Chef and find creative ideas from the contestants. I enjoy watching 19 Kids and Counting. They have good family morals, and work together and support each other. Their kids are so cute, heck if I didn't have to have C-sections I probably would have had more than the 4 I have because I love my babies and children they bring so much to your life both good and bad :-)...

I think when you judge a whole group by one or two shows that degrade people it's just the same as lumping people together, they aren't all the same. There are some good reality shows that don't do that and there are some that if I personally could cancel I would because they are mean spirited.
Old 11-30-2010, 09:52 AM

I completely agree.
Old 11-30-2010, 10:01 AM

I mean the reality shows where they are pitted against each other, fighting to win, backstabbing, etc. It is not something that should be glorified and winning by any means is the objective.