Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Anybody keeping up with Sister Wives?? >

Anybody keeping up with Sister Wives??

Anybody keeping up with Sister Wives??

Old 11-30-2010, 06:05 PM

Watching Sister Wives is like watching a train wreck...U just can not stop!!!! I think everyone agrees that the man is creepy! and vain. yuck !? I want to know how much money that guy makes a year, and why he is driving a fancy ragtop, while one of the wives had duct-tape holding her car window together...that first wife does not look to happy...and he sure does not mind grabbing a handful of bottom from the newest one...
Old 11-30-2010, 06:10 PM

Originally Posted by akrogirl
Originally Posted by kristen0112
Originally Posted by Riversong
Yuck! I watched it a couple of times. They are all mental. Between them and the Duggars,,,,oh well, 'nuff said!
I like the Duggers. Jim Bob is loving and supportive of his wife I don't think you can say that of the sister wives show. They may have a ton of kids (and that's kind of crazy) but there is no moral depravity which I believe is definitely a description of polygamist marriage. If you watch that show in this last season you've seen more of Jim Bob doing what he can with the preemie and encouraging Michelle to get out of the house. We've also seen him take all the kids but Josie (the preemie) on two trips. That's a lot for one parent to do but it's allowed Michelle to have some quiet time with the baby.
I have to disagree with you on this one. I don't care for the Duggars and their lifestyle anymore than the people on Sister Wives. It is still extreme and based on a fundamentalist point of view - all the extreme groups seem to like to keep their women bare foot and pregnant. If they wanted a large family, there are a lot of children in foster care who would love a permanent home.
Do you watch the show or just making a stereotype? Because not all fundamentalists believe the same things or we'd see a lot more families that have tons of kids. Because Michelle talks about how she wanted a large family from the time she was a kid. And not everyone is capable of fostering other peoples (generally troubled) children. I love my kids but I don't think I could handle taking in other peoples children. And I say this as a childcare provider. I have watched all kinds (kids) and most of them are ill-mannered and poorly parented. I don't blame the kids for being "naughty" its the parents that don't know any better. Being a foster parent takes a special kind of people to love and care.

Yes, they may be conservative but they aren't in an abusive relationship. Michelle talks and walks differently not as a woman whose in an abusive relationship like the sister wives.
Old 11-30-2010, 06:16 PM

I hope everyone realizes that 'Sister Wives', the FLDS and others who practice polygamy are NOT members of the Mormon church (The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints, 'LDS'). It gets very confusing sometimes.
In regards to the reality shows, I wonder how much money they get????
Old 11-30-2010, 06:26 PM

Originally Posted by akrogirl
Originally Posted by Riversong
Yuck! I watched it a couple of times. They are all mental. Between them and the Duggars,,,,oh well, 'nuff said!
I like the Duggers. Jim Bob is loving and supportive of his wife I don't think you can say that of the sister wives show. They may have a ton of kids (and that's kind of crazy) but there is no moral depravity which I believe is definitely a description of polygamist marriage. If you watch that show in this last season you've seen more of Jim Bob doing what he can with the preemie and encouraging Michelle to get out of the house. We've also seen him take all the kids but Josie (the preemie) on two trips. That's a lot for one parent to do but it's allowed Michelle to have some quiet time with the baby.
I have to disagree with you on this one. I don't care for the Duggars and their lifestyle anymore than the people on Sister Wives. It is still extreme and based on a fundamentalist point of view - all the extreme groups seem to like to keep their women bare foot and pregnant. If they wanted a large family, there are a lot of children in foster care who would love a permanent home.
Do you watch the show or just making a stereotype? Because not all fundamentalists believe the same things or we'd see a lot more families that have tons of kids. Because Michelle talks about how she wanted a large family from the time she was a kid. And not everyone is capable of fostering other peoples (generally troubled) children. I love my kids but I don't think I could handle taking in other peoples children. And I say this as a childcare provider. I have watched all kinds (kids) and most of them are ill-mannered and poorly parented. I don't blame the kids for being "naughty" its the parents that don't know any better. Being a foster parent takes a special kind of people to love and care.

Yes, they may be conservative but they aren't in an abusive relationship. Michelle talks and walks differently not as a woman whose in an abusive relationship like the sister wives.
I guess we will have to agree to disagree on the Duggars. I still don't see it as a healthy situation.
Old 12-01-2010, 03:36 AM
BMP

Originally Posted by Lynn Luker
I hope everyone realizes that 'Sister Wives', the FLDS and others who practice polygamy are NOT members of the Mormon church (The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints, 'LDS'). It gets very confusing sometimes.
In regards to the reality shows, I wonder how much money they get????
I hope its enough money so the tax payer isnt funding them any longer... :thumbdown:
Old 12-01-2010, 06:44 AM

My own take on it is that with all the jealousy that the new wife has caused and the husband's infatuation with her, I think the whole house of cards is going to come crashing down very soon.

According to Carolyn Jessop in her book "Escape", there is frequently one wife that steals the husband's heart and then reigns with an iron fist over the other wives, thus causing many problems and dividing the household.
Old 12-01-2010, 06:45 AM

[/quote]

I guess we will have to agree to disagree on the Duggars. I still don't see it as a healthy situation.[/quote]

And this is why there are hundreds of channels on TV...so we all can watch what we like! :)
Old 12-01-2010, 07:42 AM

They were all guests on Oprah yesterday. I also can't see any happy ending to all this. If the authorities swoop in the kids will be without parents and, while the kids seemed well adjusted, what must be going on in their heads.
Old 12-01-2010, 08:00 AM

Originally Posted by aorlflood
My own take on it is that with all the jealousy that the new wife has caused and the husband's infatuation with her, I think the whole house of cards is going to come crashing down very soon.

According to Carolyn Jessop in her book "Escape", there is frequently one wife that steals the husband's heart and then reigns with an iron fist over the other wives, thus causing many problems and dividing the household.
There was a documentary on BBC America in the past week, where a young, female reporter visited, and stayed with, a couple of polygamist families. The older, first wife in one family finally agreed to talk to her and actually discussed the jealousy issue, which was totally glossed over by the younger "wives". It took this particular lady many, many years and a serious illness to come to terms with everything. I'm still not 100% sure if she truly did.
Old 12-01-2010, 09:08 AM

Originally Posted by MadQuilter
Let's take Palin off while we're at it.

As for the Sister Wives - I have watched it and simply marvel at how EVERYTHING is about THE GUY and how EVERYTHING gets rationalized. It is too funny to me.
What does Palin have to do with a knothead who has 4 knothead wives?