Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Anyone else get nerve ending pains? >

Anyone else get nerve ending pains?

Anyone else get nerve ending pains?

Old 05-23-2011, 09:11 PM
Power Poster

I am absolutely fed up with these hit and miss pains. I am not talking about pain you can treat. I am talking about the kind that is just under the skin and can be anywhere on your body. I have had them everywhere. They are like someone is sitting there poking you with a pin. It is like lightening. It strikes and is gone. but it can keep striking over and over again every 30 secs and drives me nuts! I was driving home earlier today and i had one in the tip of one toe on my left foot. Thank goodness it wasn't in the foot I was driving with.

I have one spitting in my left kneecap right now. It is annoying and just drives you up the wall. they are short little stabs and then gone. But it keeps doing it when I start to think it has quit.. Breaks up my concentration that is for sure!

I've researched it and I guess it is neuropathy but everything I have read and the one thread I found on here makes it sound like it stays in one place. Mine doesn't. It can't be treated by a patch in the place of pain. They don't stay in one place long usually. My dr says it is just something diabetics have to live with.

Just wondered if anyone has the roving stabbing pains type of neuropathy.
Old 05-23-2011, 09:30 PM

Mine feels like I'm wearing heavy socks and there is a tight rubber band around my arch, and my toes turn bright red and feel like they're burning... Not fun!

Any sugar I eat brings on the burning even more.

And I'm not even diabetic, just old........
Old 05-23-2011, 09:33 PM

Yes, first I had the more all over from the knees down. Now it is better, but I've been having the pains you describe - kind of like roving shingles. I am considering asking my doctor if Valtrex would help. It did help the nerve pain of shingles. I am just starting on Lyrica for fibromyalgia. Of all the fibro drugs, Lyrica does treat nerve pain, too. It seems to be helping. I hope for better days for all of us.

Edit: I'm not diabetic, either.
Old 05-23-2011, 10:17 PM

Are u diabetic? You could have fibromyalgia also. The two together might cause it. Lyrica cymbalta both r suppose to help it good luck. I have neuropathy in legs and feet!! Nota diabetic.
Old 05-23-2011, 10:24 PM

Originally Posted by irishrose
Yes, first I had the more all over from the knees down. Now it is better, but I've been having the pains you describe - kind of like roving shingles. I am considering asking my doctor if Valtrex would help. It did help the nerve pain of shingles. I am just starting on Lyrica for fibromyalgia. Of all the fibro drugs, Lyrica does treat nerve pain, too. It seems to be helping. I hope for better days for all of us.

Edit: I'm not diabetic, either.
I have fibromyalgia, too. Have taken Paxil, Celexa, and now Cymbalta. The Paxil worked absolutely the best for my pain, but I just don't remember much about those years that I took it. It dulled all my senses! Celexa worked for a few years, tho not as well. I've been on Cymbalta for several years now... it doesn't help as much with the pain or depression... Altho I really know if I forget to take it one day!

Mostly I try to keep my mind distracted from my physical problems.. and just stay busy.. can't do much physically, but as long as I can lie down and rest a while now and then, I make it through the days. Nights.... now that's another story!
Old 05-23-2011, 10:54 PM

I am a diabetic and I also have fibromyalgia. I also have neuropothy BAD. I know EXACTLY what pains you are talking about. I too get them in my toes and it does feel like someone stabbing me with a knife over and over and over and I will jerk my leg in pain. My toes and lower legs turn bright red and feel like they're burning. I hate it. I also get the stabbing pains in my hands but its not as bad as in the feet. A few of my fingers are totally numb I guess you would say from the neuropothy too.
I have been taking Lyrica now for about 3 years I think maybe not quite that long but close. I think that it has helped me tremendously. And it helped with the leg cramps that I get...knock on wood or my head either one, I haven't had leg cramps in a long long time. When I don't take the Lyrica, I find that I am in ALOT more pain AND the leg cramps come back fast. Neuropothy is something I DO NOT wish on anyone. Its awful to get the pain and numbness associated with it.
Old 05-23-2011, 10:59 PM
Google Goddess

Hugs to all of you, I have siatic nerve damage in my left hip area and travels all the way to my toes, every 3 months get a pain shot
Old 05-23-2011, 11:38 PM
Power Poster

I don't have the numbness. Tho since I was a kid my feet would get hot on the soles like I was standing on a hot plate. And some of my toes would go numb. I've done that since I can remember. I go barefoot alot so I don't have the problem as often I also wear only leather shoes and that helps.

I had a small tumor taken off of the base of one middle finger on my left hand a few years ago. I was so worried I would lose the use of that hand. I have lipomas which are fatty benign tumors. I had a large one taken off at the same time as the finger. I had been told there was a 50/50 chance I could lose the use of that hand. I didnt lose it but the finger the little tumor was in he must have gotten too close to a nerve because it is slightly numb all the time. But it works fine and I don't even notice the numbness very often.

I've had the stabbing pains for several years but only got diagnosed with diabetes about 4 yrs ago.

I do deal with leg cramps and they make my feet pulsate when the nerves get going in the bottom of my feet. They ripple and it is the funniest frustrating hurting feeling!

As long as I eat bananas at least every other day I don't have the leg cramps so much. But bananas are hard to keep and I end up going without them for too long. I wanted to take pills but the dr and the pharmacist thought that was a bad idea. They didn't really say why.
Old 05-24-2011, 04:17 AM
Power Poster

Rhonda, have you had a physical lately??? You mentioned bananas helping with leg cramps which tells me you are low in potassium maybe.
Especially since you are diabetic you should get blood work done.
I'm sorry you have those pains hon!!!
Hope this HUG is soothing :)
Sue
Old 05-24-2011, 04:24 AM

Pain is horrible. Especially when it comes and goes. It seems to always come on when there is something important you want to do, and then can't because of the pain. I take Paxil for Fibro as well. It doesn't always help. I just try to keep myself busy and active. When I stop..that's when it hits most times.