Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Anyone familiar with a "Boob Toob"?

Cool Anyone familiar with a "Boob Toob"?

My daughter called today. She saw a "boobtoob" at a yard sale. It's a cover-up for nursing moms. This one was pink and she's expecting a boy so she didn't buy it. The cover-up she used with her daughter was kind of like a big apron or bib but it was kind of easy to knock it askew. The boobtoob is like a giant tube top with elastic and looks like it would work much better.

Has anyone used one or know someone who has? Do they work as well as the lady at the yard sale claimed? LOL.

If anyone is familiar with them, I'd love to hear what you think.

The only thing I've heard that term used for is the television....Boob Tube....
    Brenda

Blog Entries
    Dunno- I b/f my kids and never used one of those things- I just dressed in looser clothes and learned about positioning the baby, and myself, without flashing my chest! Could be the type of thing that sounds great but actually never gets used?
    Fortune favours the prepared mind
    "Make everything as simple as possible, but not simpler." Albert Einstein

I also b/f'ed my babies and just held the baby underneath my shirt. If I was wearing a dress, I made sure it buttoned in the front, then used a receiving blanket, slung over my shoulder, for modesty. It was never a problem.

If she feels she must have a cover-up, how about a cotton poncho-type cover?
    Last edited by Neesie; 07-14-2012 at 05:08 PM.
    Neesie

By all means let's be open-minded, but not so open-minded that our brains drop out.
    ~Richard Dawkins

Blog Entries
    Here is a link to BoobToob sold on etsy.com Looks pretty simple to duplicate without spending $35!
    http://www.etsy.com/listing/67902088...ng-cover-thats

Here is a google search for nursing cover ups. You can make one for about $10-15 dollars. https://www.google.com/search?source...54lllllllllll0
    Last edited by auntpiggylpn; 07-14-2012 at 05:23 PM.
    No one has ever become poor by giving. - Anne Frank
    Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. - Martin Luther King, Jr.

http://www.etsy.com/shop/TheQuiltedPig

I've just heard them referred to as "hooter hiders" (& I actually heard that term on the national news when Beyonce was breast feeding at a restaurant & people were flipping out). I guess you learn something new every day! LOL!
    (`v)
    `*..*
    .*).*)
    (.(. (..`..♥ rebecca

I made one of these for my step daughter...she thought it was wonderful
    http://www.handmade-adelaide-baby.co...ing-cover.html
    Pat

Blog Entries
    I have one but not for nursing babies...It is a tube about 8" wide with elastic in the top and bottom..fits over boobs and looks nice when a dress is a bit to low in the front..I got mine for a wrap around dress that showed my bra. It would be very simple to make for sure!
    "You must do the thing you think you cannot do"....E. Roosevelt

Sharon
    Yorkville, IL

Blog Entries
    I've not heard of one of those. maybe it could be used in the kiddie pool. some poor woman got in trouble for nursing in front of children. It's a natural thing to do but perhaps not in the kiddie pool. it's interesting to see the things women come up with to help Mom's.

Looks really simple to make.
    If a woman's work is never done....why start?

Quote Originally Posted by brenda21 View Post
    That was my first thought too when she first started talking. LOL.

I'm checking out the sites that have been mentioned. After looking at the Etsy site, it may not be hard to make. Figuring out how long to make the elastic may be the hardest part. Thanks for all the input. I bfed both of our girls and just used a receiving blanket or whatever was handy as a cover up. I think she is out in public more than I was as she works, goes to school, and has quite a few activiiteis she participates in.

I think hooter hider is a better name than boob toob tho. LOL. Thanks everyone.

Blog Entries
    Looks easy enough to make, from the description on etsy, it's a tube of fabric with elastic top/bottom.
    I LOVE that at least SOME nursing moms are modest enough not to want to flop out there for all to see.... I'll be the first to say that there's nothing more beautiful than a baby nursing, but I know for a fact that my spousal unit is made extremely uncomfortable by it.
    One day, you'll only be a memory for some people. Do your best to be a good one.

http://charleeturner.blogspot.com

Blog Entries
    I'm just having to laugh and giggle. I was a LLL leader for 6 years so you know I BF my babies. My DD is BFing her 7 month old. He would never stay in one of those things. He likes to pop off and look around - I can just see him pulling it down to peek around and to flash momma's and shake his little fist at his brother or what ever he does. Maybe for a newborn with a very new mom... Ok giggling aside, I had something like that once, it was just a tube of fabric and it worked for a baby carrier and did work for BFing. Just wearing loose clothing and what everybody else already said goes a long ways. I'm thinking it was about 2 yards of fabric more or less and sewed together with a flat felled seam - like on your jeans - but I'm small so that might not work for everybody. Then the rest was hemmed salvages. If you put in the elastic and it is only for cover up not for a carrier 2 1/2 to 3 yards would cover about anybody.
    NEVER let a sewing machine know you are in a hurry.
    good mothers let you lick the beaters - great mothers turn it off first

I made a couple for my DDIL last year. The pattern was a free download from Connecting Threads. It had some stiff braid in the front to hold it out a bit so she could still peek down and see the baby. I added pockets on the inside bottom area for Kleenex, wipes, etc. it seemed to work pretty well in public. Not that many places have seating in the rest rooms for nursing moms ( other than the toilet) and who wants to sit on the floor-ewww! I thought it worked better than a blanket cuz the kid couldnt grab it and yank it down.
    A time to tear, And a time to sew;
    A time to keep silence, And a time to speak;

Banned
    When I was in London I saw a table in Harrods with a big sign - Boob Tubes
    They were similar to what Luvstoquilt describes except they were fully elasticized.

The tube one on the etsy link has a good description of the dimensions so it would easy to duplicate. My DIL just told us she is having her second baby, so maybe I'll give it a try!

Quote Originally Posted by auntpiggylpn View Post
    Here is a link to BoobToob sold on etsy.com Looks pretty simple to duplicate without spending $35!
    http://www.etsy.com/listing/67902088...ng-cover-thats

Here is a google search for nursing cover ups. You can make one for about $10-15 dollars. https://www.google.com/search?source...54lllllllllll0
    It would be simpler to find one of those broomstick skirts and cut it off to about 24" and hem it. Lots of them in thrift stores.

Of course, I figured you were talking about a tv (I still call it that) but I can see thats not it. However, I have seen these and made one for a niece - it was called a Nursing Cover - I found a free tutorial - it uses boning for stability at the top and basically is a large piece of cloth (almost apron like) that modestly covers the mom while breastfeeding the top bows out so mom can see the baby without others seeing her. Very easy to make.

Blog Entries
    I just ran this by my daughter and she blew a gasket. She says this might work for a newborn but not for a baby who wants to see what is going on in the world and won't tolerate his face being the least bit covered up.
    NEVER let a sewing machine know you are in a hurry.
    good mothers let you lick the beaters - great mothers turn it off first

lbc
    My niece used one with her son and she loved it.

Power Poster
    That Boob Toob looks really handy and the price is reasonable at the etsy shop if shipping isn't too much. Very Neat.

"Boob Tube", in Australia, is a stretchy, skimpy, circlet of material that is worn around the body to just cover the boobs.It wouldn't hide anything! In just a similar shift in our cultures, "thongs" are the flip-flops we wear on our feet whilst at the beach.

I, too, have only heard the phrase "boob tube" to describe a T.V.

Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.
    Quote Originally Posted by brenda21 View Post
    Umm, yeah....and it was offensive enough in 'that' context.
    Nursing moms should be very careful that their covered up feeding babies are not re-breathing at the same time.

It'll be a blessing when we come to the place that breastfeeding is completely standard behavior and "discreetly covered" does not mean making such a display of "I'm nursing but you'll never know it because I'm sitting here wearing this weird bib/drape/shawl/cover-up that's overheating my baby but I'm being "very" politically correct."

Jan in VA (okay, off my soapbox)
    Jan in VA
    Living in the foothills
    peacefully colors my world.
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/members...bums19552.html

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast