Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Anyone familiar with a Singer "66" >

Anyone familiar with a Singer "66"

Anyone familiar with a Singer "66"

Old 10-29-2013, 10:10 AM

Default Anyone familiar with a Singer "66"

One of my coworkers found one for sale and is doing a refinishing project on it with his daughter. It looks worn, but good for the age (1906?) It's a treadle machine.

Is there a market for these? What might it be worth?

It's in the original cabinet, nice detail on the wood. Lots of original parts. Found a flyer from the original and shows the "attachment drawer", cabinet clearly has that.

I welcome any and all info on it - sounds like such a fun father/daughter thing.
Old 10-29-2013, 11:29 AM

As a sewing machine that is very capable of sewing most anything a home sewist want's to sew, it's an excellent machine. As an investment for resale, it's hit or miss. Singer made a million of them. I currently have 8 of them, three of which are treadles, one is a cabinet machine and the others are portables.

Value is dependent on condition, completeness, and geographical location.

ISMACS { http://www.ismacs.net/home.html } has lots of information on them as well as serial # charts that help you date the machine.

Joe
Old 10-29-2013, 12:00 PM

Originally Posted by J Miller View Post
Value is dependent on condition, completeness, and geographical location.

Joe, my thoughts exactly.
Old 10-29-2013, 02:26 PM

I'll share the links with my coworker. I've no intention of being a collector - I'm more an electronic machine enthusiast!
Old 10-29-2013, 07:12 PM

... I hear a collection starting right now.
Old 10-30-2013, 07:30 AM
Power Poster

I have one, great machine! I agree depends on location, condition and how much you want the machine.
Old 10-31-2013, 08:20 AM

I don't know if there is a real market for a Singer 66. I have one I bought in Waco, Texas for $25.00 40 years ago to teach my two daughters ages 8 and 9 to sew. It was the first "old" machine I bought. Since the girls learned to sew, I have taught a ton of girl scouts how to sew on this machine. It was not a treadle. For many many years it was my backup sewing machine. I didn
t have a featherweight or any other lug-able for quilt retreats so it was mine. It is currently set up in my sewing room about one a year I clean it up and oil it. I have never had a major problem with it since I bought it. I can't say that for my newer plastic machines. It is not for sale ever....I may consider adoption by a "qualified person" but then I have 4 grand daughters who are reaching the age to learn to sew....maybe "66" is back in business soon. This machine will out sive almost every one!!!
Old 10-31-2013, 08:39 AM

Nona,

Boy did you hit the nail on the head! I got 8 of the 66s and therefore I can't die till I've worn them all out. Eeee gads, I'm gonna live forever ...... Bwahahahahahahahaha

Joe
Old 10-31-2013, 02:10 PM

Yeah, you're right, Joe. Bwahahhahahahahahahhah. That was hard to do, and I came out with more h's than you did.
Old 10-31-2013, 07:32 PM

I don't know a lot about sewing machines -- just how to use them. I didn't start out to be a collector of vintage/antique machines, but I seem to have "inherited" a lot of them. I think I have 8 or 9 now, and all of them are more than 30 years old. I have a Singer 328K (1963), a couple of Singer 751 Golden Touch 'N Sew, a Singer 1425, a Singer Featherweight (1954), a Babylock serger, and a National Two Spool Treadle. Plus, there are a couple in the garage my son salvaged (I don't know what they are). All of my machines are "Vintage"! LOL If these old machines could talk, what history they could tell!

Jeanette Frantz