Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
anyone have a problem with a dog with separation anxiety? >

anyone have a problem with a dog with separation anxiety?

anyone have a problem with a dog with separation anxiety?

Old 08-01-2011, 12:23 PM

IMO, this works because separation anziety is a lack of confidence. This method tells the dog, in subtle ways, that when you leave, you come back, and since you don't make a big deal about leaving, it must not be a big deal.
They often get their confidence from how WE treat the situation. Act like it's no big deal, the dog will get the idea that it's not.

I'm on a basenji email list, and we were told of a basenji that had separatoion anxiety. If they hadn't lived in a brick house, the dog would have gotten out via a hole in the house.
Old 08-01-2011, 12:45 PM

My thought as well. http://www.thundershirt.com/?utm_med...ce=GAN_k331247
Originally Posted by Painiacs
Go to thundershirt,com! They are $36.00 any size. They work for all types of a
Anxiety! I have one for my lil girl and it works great. If she's real bad I adds pheromone spray.
Old 08-01-2011, 01:02 PM

Yep, worked for me! :-D
Old 08-01-2011, 01:10 PM

They make them for grown ups????? Just had to do it:))
Originally Posted by zkosh
Old 08-01-2011, 01:17 PM

Originally Posted by Tinabug
They make them for grown ups????? Just had to do it:))
Originally Posted by zkosh
Too funny! We just had to have heart to heart talks for reassurance.
Old 08-01-2011, 01:22 PM

I bought myself a mini red poodle last November and this dog is different than any poodle I have had. she is afraid of everyone and doesn't like to ride. I bought her in S Carolina and brought her back to Maine. I was told by my groomer that I needed to take her everywhere with me and let her socialize. I have done that and she has calmed down some but not all the time. She doesn't cry in the car anymore, but still pants quite a bit. She just lays on the floor behind the front seats. She hates being near the windows. If you find a better solution, please let me know.
Old 08-01-2011, 01:55 PM

Even old rescue dogs can be crate trained, but it takes a lot of time and one-on-one contact. Get a good book, some treats, coax your dog into the crate and begin. Sit right next to him/her, constantly petting, talking - occasional treat and keep the dog open (if you can quilt great, but I usually just read a book). Some dogs really take a long time to sit quietly even if you are right there and the door is open. All my dogs have become so crate accustomed, they jostle for who sleeps in it all day long with the door open and free run of the house. I have raised and trained Labs for over 25 years now with an occasional other breed dog. It is not 100% effective - not all dogs can be crate trained, but give it a shot - if it works, your house can look like mine - the cover of "Kennel Beautiful" instead of "House Beautiful" (a LARGE crate is part of our living room furniture). Be grateful it is not a 135 pound Saint Bernard with thunderstorm and separation anxiety (I have one). And Labs are Labs their entire lives - some have to be crated all the time even through adulthood. Or you could end up like me with a $5,000 Lab - what we paid to the fancy animal emergency vet hospital to save his life after he and a buddy ate an entire (one tiny scrap fabric remaining) size extra-large, LL Bean dog bed one day while we were at work and kids at school.......I have never had a Lab yet who was not a voracious chewer for most of their doggie life.

And crate training works FABULOUSLY on house-breaking puppies; dogs do have a natural inclination not to soil their sleeping area.
Nancy
http://miniaturequiltmaker.blogspot.com/
Attached Thumbnails attachment-235039.jpe   attachment-235040.jpe  
Old 08-01-2011, 04:16 PM

my muttly golden is bad. He was lost in the woods (my brother found him behind a truck stop ni the middle of the night) when he was so small he looked like a stuffed toy! Now, hes a very quite dog, never barks or whines, but if I go in another room pretty soon he follows. I go back, hes right behind me.
If I go to the grocery and leave him home alone, when I pull in the yard I can see him running from window to window in the kitchen, barking. By the time I get to the kitchen, he s already in the living room by my chair like he just woke up - what a sneeky liitle scutter lol sharet
Old 08-01-2011, 04:34 PM

Originally Posted by Hosta
the other day our dog woke up and thought no one was home and ran thru the house screaming and crying so I need some ideas how to deal with it thanks
My daughter and her family went on vacation for five days. When they returned and picked up their dogs, one of them had been ill, refusing to eat or drink and vomiting. The vet could not find anything physically wrong with him. When she got him home, it took awhile for him to get to feeling normal again. Seems as though he was grieving for them.
Old 08-01-2011, 05:07 PM

I like what Janedee had to say. And suggest this as a possible solution. We also had a dog who had speraation anxiety. She got that way from being in a crate 12 - 14 hours a day. This happened until she was two years old. Then she was given to this person's mother. She lived with her until she was five then the woman had medical problems and her children started fogetting about the dog again. So she gave her to a rescue. The next two years the dog lived there until I came. I had her for the rest of her life. She had some seperation problems but I took my dogs with me whenever I could. I was known around town as Sharon and her two Samoyeds.