Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
anyone here know or use ubuntu >

anyone here know or use ubuntu

anyone here know or use ubuntu

Old 10-11-2013, 03:51 AM

Default anyone here know or use ubuntu

anyone here know or use ubuntu its a free operating system for your computer it can be used on macs too it can be used along side of your other os like windows xp ect. it is all new to me just surfing the web and seen this .. its a free download. thanks for any info on this..
Old 10-11-2013, 08:19 PM
Power Poster

My disclaimer is that I don't use ubuntu or know much about it, other than it is a free Linux-based operating system. I guess my question would be, why exactly would you want it?

Last edited by Prism99; 10-11-2013 at 08:22 PM.
Old 10-12-2013, 03:26 AM

I have Ubuntu on my other laptop ... It had Win XP on it, but when the laptop had a hiccup, I was not prepared to pay R1500 for the (then) new Vista. So I downloaded Ubuntu, and installed it without any trouble on the laptop. It works a bit different than Windows, but you get used to it quickly. Try it on an old pc first.
Old 10-12-2013, 09:08 AM

Part of the attraction of Ubuntu and other Linux based Operating systems (besides legitimately free) is that set up right, and Ubuntu is right out of the box, it's more secure than Windows. For years, people have complained about how easy it is to be infected with "junk" on a Windows PC, whether malware, viruses or whatever. The reason this happens is that when you're browsing the web, checking email, etc, you're doing it as an administrator of the machine. You, or anything you give permission to, can install anything. When you click on a "bad" link, you've given that site permission to install things for you.

This is how the User Access Control came about. But it's annoying, right? 95% of people either turn it off or just blindly hit "Allow" whenever it comes up.

With a Linux based operating system, by default you run as an unprivileged user, and have to "elevate" your privileges to install things. It sounds like a pain, but really, how often do you install stuff? Besides, it takes about 2 seconds to elevate yourself. You just have to supply a password.

As far as ease of use, Ubuntu is possibly the easiest Linux to transition to from Windows. It has the best support community (mainly via forums like the QB), and it looks and acts similarly to Windows.

The biggest stumbling block for most people is that you "can't" run Windows software. (Not as simply as on a Windows machine) You wouldn't be using Live Mail, or Outlook, you'd use Thunderbird or another mail client. You wouldn't use MS Office, you'd use OpenOffice or something similar, etc. Instead of photoshop, you'd use the G.I.M.P.

(All of these programs are available for windows as well, so you may be familiar with them, or even like to try them out)

There are software equivalents for Linux that will replace most of your software you're used to using on Windows (so far, I don't think there's a replacement for EQ), most are free, and most will operate 95% the same as the Microsoft / Windows equivalents.

Yes, I use Ubuntu. I actually use is mainly as a "Server" to host websites and email, but I have used it on laptops and desktops as well.
Old 10-12-2013, 10:20 AM

As soon as Microsoft figures out you are using Ubuntu - they lock your files and cancel your license - unless you buy Windows again, and give them access. It's a pain in the time budget, but I've found it easy to re-create my databases and spreadsheets under Ubuntu. This time, they are really secure! It's none of Microsoft's business what data I have on my machine. I'm tired of being controlled by technology.
Old 10-12-2013, 10:24 PM

Originally Posted by Texasjunebug View Post
As soon as Microsoft figures out you are using Ubuntu - they lock your files and cancel your license - unless you buy Windows again, and give them access. It's a pain in the time budget, but I've found it easy to re-create my databases and spreadsheets under Ubuntu. This time, they are really secure! It's none of Microsoft's business what data I have on my machine. I'm tired of being controlled by technology.
I've never found that to be true. The worst that has happened is that OpenOffice might convert a spreadsheet or database when you save it, making it impossible for Access or Excel to open it again. I've never had a license canceled. If someone made you buy Windows again to make your spreadsheets work, they did you wrong.

I've been in IT for 15 years, and worked with MS products the whole time for work, and Linux by choice.
Old 10-13-2013, 05:43 AM

Gosh, I wish I knew more about computers and operating systems. I envy those who understand all this technology. I want to learn more about computers, how they work and why... how to make them do what I think I need it to do. I have so many things in my life I want to do, that adding one more thing would be too much. I am glad there are people here on this board who are educated in so many different areas, those who need to know, just need to ask. There is always someone to help. Thank you, all of you, who help those of of who ask. Hope to someday answer a question for you.
Old 10-15-2013, 08:29 AM

Bneighbor, at the end of the day, computers are just another specialization.
You've chosen quilting and other specializations.

What I used to tell the geeks (who would exclaim about all the things the clients couldn't do on a computer) that I worked with is: So the client can't fix their own computer, so what? If they could, you wouldn't have a job. Can you do their job? (That answer was more than often "No".)

At the end of the day, the computer should be a tool that does what you ask it. It's more capable than a toaster, but it's basically a toaster. You should be able to turn it on ((put the bread in), tell it what you want to do (push the lever down), and get the result you were looking for (toast!)