Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Class reunion ideas please!!! >

Class reunion ideas please!!!

Class reunion ideas please!!!

Old 10-09-2013, 10:17 AM

Lightbulb Class reunion ideas please!!!

Hi Guys/Gals - I am nearly single-handedly organizing my high school's only three years of graduating classes reunion. I grew up in a rapidly growing community and the new high school wasn't ready until after we three years had graduated.
My dilemma - I have the venue, the 150 paid up attendees, the photographer and the dee-jay.
I would like to know what special 'fun' events you all experienced during your class reunions. I don't want anything too silly or inappropriate; it's a lovely venue and my aim is to keep the party-goers happy. I don't want to hear something like "oh no, they're not going to do that, are they?" (keep in mind we are in our early 60's now)
I would like to give out gifts for certain things, but all I'm seeing in the library books is "who lost the most hair", "who had the most children", "who earned the most degrees". I rather feel that sort of thing is bordering tacky. So I come to the most talented people I know!! My fellow quiltingboard friends - HELP?
Old 10-09-2013, 10:30 AM

Go on Pinterest and type in class reunion ideas...some cute stuff might come in handy. Actually, I like the photobooth idea....
Old 10-09-2013, 12:39 PM

Found this on Pinterest
Attached Thumbnails reunionquilt.jpg  
Old 10-09-2013, 02:38 PM
Power Poster

maybe make signature blocks have everyone sign them then next reunion raffel it off !!!
Old 10-09-2013, 02:51 PM
Power Poster

Photo booth should be a fun thing!
Old 10-09-2013, 02:57 PM

Our class has stayed close after 45 years. We had our 45th just this past summer, and we also had a 60th birthday party celebration here in St. Louis where we all met. It was a blast.
We handed out souvineers representing our era or town. Like tee shirts from the towns shops with their logo on it. And alot of these places donated them to us free....check with that.
We gave away a quilt a clasmate made and the youngest one of the group got it. The valedictorian and the president of the class was there and gave a short sweet speech.
Mostly we had fun mingling amoung ourselves. The DJ was a classmate.
The decor was our class colors. We also had student directories....our names, addresses, occupation, children, grandchildren. This year they were in large print! lol
The class dj really did a great job at organizing activities. Like the dances of our era, etc.
I am sure you will have a blast.
Old 10-09-2013, 03:10 PM

thank you so much for all the ideas - I have actually done the booklet with everyone's contact information - including folks who can't make it to the reunion next summer. I've been working on this since March of this year - 16 months ahead of the event!
I'm not sure if our budget will allow a photo booth - I did hire a photographer who will have all the night's photos up on her website within a few days of the reunion itself so alumni can go online and order a cd of every photo taken or individual prints. We're even doing a large group photo early in the evening.
As for the school colors, our table linens will be green/white. I love the idea of a customized quilt like the one shown above - I can raffle it off and pay for some of the cost of brunch we're planning the next morning.
I spoke to our class musicians and all three of them (all own deejay/entertainment companies) do not want to 'perform'. They want to attend and enjoy the event - I can understand that.
I did find and invite the 'favorite' teachers and four of them with their spouses are definitely coming!!
I guess I'm on the right track - I just need ideas for 'activities/games' that won't end up boring anyone to tears!!

Last edited by Debbie C; 10-09-2013 at 03:13 PM.
Old 10-09-2013, 03:47 PM

Personally, if you are over 29...scrap the idea of games. They are too childish in my opinion. What reunion year is it? I just had my 40th h.s. reunion, but that's a whole other story, as my school was all girls (at that time), and all years are combined in an afternoon tea (boring).

People will provide their own entertainment...catching up with each other.

A few ideas I do have:

1) Have a bulletin board and post pictures of folks from when they were in high school, but do not label who the picture is of. People like to guess what people look like now as opposed to back then. (Ask people to send them to you beforehand and return them at the end of the night).

2) Did you have a prom? If so, you could make this your theme. Have the deejay play music from the years you were in school. Decorate the room the same as the prom was decorated. You could even elect a prom king & queen at the reunion.

3) Put disposable cameras (do they still make them...I'm showing my age!) on each table and let folks be their own photographers. (Yes there is developing cost here.) Post pictures of your reunion on Facebook or a website. These can be put on a bulletin board at your next reunion.

Hope this helps. Enjoy yourself and have fun!

Anita
Old 10-09-2013, 03:48 PM

Prize for who came the most distance?
Old 10-09-2013, 07:22 PM
Power Poster

the photo booth with different frames seems to be a big one. which hs did you go to on long island. I went to Sachem