Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Class reunion ideas please!!! >

Class reunion ideas please!!!

Class reunion ideas please!!!

Old 10-11-2013, 06:42 AM

ditto on the loud music, and as we age, and wear hearing aids, any background noise makes it harder to hear. My husband's class had the dance music outside on the patio of the venue for those who wanted to dance. The next reunion, no one wanted to dance, they just wNted to visit with each other.
Originally Posted by quiltmom04 View Post
PLEASE don't let the DJ play the music too loud. We're there to chit chat and catch up, not scream at each other like we used to. I know I sound like an old person, but there's nothing fun about having to yell a conversation !
Old 10-11-2013, 06:50 AM

The most important best thing for reunions is to put a yearbook picture on each name tag, and use maiden names. My high school always did this and I loved it. You look at this "grey-haired, chubby, wrinkly old face" and have no idea who it is, then you glance at the nametag picture and go, OH! Hi Mary!
Old 10-11-2013, 12:14 PM

Location: Southern Illinois (also HI, OR, WA, TX, CA, MO, etc.)
Default Reunion ideas

Originally Posted by Debbie C View Post
Hi Guys/Gals - I am nearly single-handedly organizing my high school's only three years of graduating classes reunion. I grew up in a rapidly growing community and the new high school wasn't ready until after we three years had graduated.. So I come to the most talented people I know!! My fellow quiltingboard friends - HELP?
Went to one where they had a photo booth so you could put up to 4 people inside and do two photos. Hats, Boas, glasses, wigs, etc were provided for those who wanted to use them. The company then offered a scrapbook of all the photos online or allowed you to purchase any individual photos you wanted.

Having a large state map and US map with pins to identify current locations might be nice. Just getting the people there is 95% of the solution.
Old 10-11-2013, 12:23 PM

schoolgirlsamplers.com/pdfs/.pdf

made a 45 in square quilt with a 16 1/2 in square center. It is the speedy baby II pattern and it is very quick. I embroidered the school mascot in the center with the school name around it. The corner squares on the outside border were the bear paw pattern since we are the bruins. With school colors the 5 in charm squares make it colorful. Everyone signed it at the reunion and it was a hit. So easy and quick too. I am not fast and I can finish one in 3 days.
Old 10-11-2013, 01:19 PM

I love this idea - thank you!! I can then embroider over the names and perhaps raffle it off at the next reunion!!
Originally Posted by quiltnmore View Post
schoolgirlsamplers.com/pdfs/.pdf

made a 45 in square quilt with a 16 1/2 in square center. It is the speedy baby II pattern and it is very quick. I embroidered the school mascot in the center with the school name around it. The corner squares on the outside border were the bear paw pattern since we are the bruins. With school colors the 5 in charm squares make it colorful. Everyone signed it at the reunion and it was a hit. So easy and quick too. I am not fast and I can finish one in 3 days.
Old 10-11-2013, 01:21 PM

LOVE the idea of the U.S. Map and push pins, but I think I'd have to make it little stickers so I don't lose the push pins when I roll it up!! Thank you!!
Old 10-11-2013, 01:23 PM

Lynn, I already bought the Avery-friendly name tags from Staples, I have photocopies of the three yearbooks and I'm going to town on those (maiden) name-tags. I did this very same thing when I ran the 20th year reunion back in 1990. I'm happy to say I'm 50 lbs. lighter now than I was back then!!!
Originally Posted by LynnVT View Post
The most important best thing for reunions is to put a yearbook picture on each name tag, and use maiden names. My high school always did this and I loved it. You look at this "grey-haired, chubby, wrinkly old face" and have no idea who it is, then you glance at the nametag picture and go, OH! Hi Mary!
Old 10-11-2013, 01:24 PM

I'm going to check the price of renting a photo booth right now and see if it's in our budget!! Wish me luck!!
Old 10-11-2013, 04:18 PM

The last reunion my class had was for our 35th, they tend to have them every 5 years. That year it was all kind of informal, but all weekend long. The only part I attended, at a park about 10 miles from my house, was a catered meal in the shelter house. It was fun seeing everyone who was there.
This has nothing to do with the original question, but I have to share something funny that happened:

We always get a book abut the classmates, usually info provided by a form that we filled out a few months earlier. It listed one guy as being deceased, and well, that's kind of sad. But then another guy spoke up, "Hey, he's not dead, I just talked to him last week! So we're all sitting around and he said, "I'm just going to call him right now" He lives in Arizona or CA or somewhere out west, and we all had to change our books, he was alive! They even passed the phone around to a lot of people who wanted to say Hi.

That will certainly be the highlight of that reunion
Old 10-11-2013, 10:14 PM

Originally Posted by RugosaB View Post
The last reunion my class had was for our 35th, they tend to have them every 5 years. That year it was all kind of informal, but all weekend long. The only part I attended, at a park about 10 miles from my house, was a catered meal in the shelter house. It was fun seeing everyone who was there.
This has nothing to do with the original question, but I have to share something funny that happened:

We always get a book abut the classmates, usually info provided by a form that we filled out a few months earlier. It listed one guy as being deceased, and well, that's kind of sad. But then another guy spoke up, "Hey, he's not dead, I just talked to him last week! So we're all sitting around and he said, "I'm just going to call him right now" He lives in Arizona or CA or somewhere out west, and we all had to change our books, he was alive! They even passed the phone around to a lot of people who wanted to say Hi.

That will certainly be the highlight of that reunion
We too mourned the loss of "Frank", and remembered how great he was...found out about a month after the reunion that he wasn't dead, and wondered why he hadn't been invited to the reunion! (In our defense, someone with his identical "odd" name had passed)! Hopefully we don't make that mistake again!!