Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Anyone purchased a bicycle lately? >

Anyone purchased a bicycle lately?

Anyone purchased a bicycle lately?

Old 05-12-2018, 09:10 AM

What a handy husband you have!
Old 05-12-2018, 09:39 AM

Originally Posted by elnan View Post
Sounds great, but I have always wondered about neck pain from that head position. Here in Washington State, we see a lot of cyclists in groups. There are always a few on the recumbent bikes
We'd originally planned to make some headrests, but we haven't needed them. No neck pain.
Old 05-12-2018, 12:41 PM

3 year ago I shopped endlessly for a bike. I must have tried 30 bikes. I had it narrowed down to 2 bikes and couldn't decide what I wanted. I rented both of the bikes I liked at the local bike path. I ride each one 10 miles. One was a Townie. It sits pretty low to the ground. I was pretty sure it was what I wanted until I rode it a long distance. My neighbor has one and says it is the best bike ever. I ended up buying a Giant brand bike. I found a higher priced model that I would ever have purchased on Ebay. It was used, looked like it was almost brand new. It came fully assembled, I just had to put the handlebars on. See if you can test drive one for a longer distance.
Old 05-12-2018, 01:10 PM
Power Poster

When I bought mine, I went to a bike shop, as I didn't have a clue where to start!
Plus I had never had anything to do with a bike with gears and brakes on the handbar.
They were wonderful ... showed me the features and benefits, and why one over the other.
Or how we could build a bike to what I wanted, if need be.
They made sure I had the right size of bike ... and the seat was at the right height.
All things I had never had anything to do with.
When I was a kid, I just rode the hand-me-down bikes from the siblings.

One very important thing ... be sure you get a good seat for comfortable riding.
You will ride your bike a lot more, if you do.

Then ... they let me test drive it ... now that was scary for someone who had not ridden for years.
Or worse ... embarrassing! All the same, they were incredibly helpful teaching me the basics!

I bought it ... and was to go back a few days later for pick up.

But then I got caught ... as I was leaving, some neighbours came into the store with their 12 yo son to get a new bike for him. They're serious bikers and were very supportive. It was pouring rain as I left ... and then it stopped. I barely got home and Jonathan (the 12yo) arrived at my place to take me for a ride and teach me how. Now that is when the real embarrassment set in!!! But Jonathan was patient as could be and taught me how ..... and got me off to a good start. We still laugh about it ... all good memories!

Take your time making your choice .... and ENJOY your new ride!
Old 05-12-2018, 01:33 PM

I was thinking that too - what a handy husband you have. Great that he is able to do that type of thing. Looks like it was bought right off the store floor! Good job.
Old 05-12-2018, 01:33 PM

I have ridden a bike with gears for 40 years, so that's not an issue, though I don't use all 21 - maybe 3 or 4. My trike has one speed, but it's okay as I don't ride it far and this side of town is flat. I do need hand brakes. If I ride with coaster brakes, I beat up on the handle grips wondering why the bike won't stop. I'm on my way outside to put air in the tires of my old bike to see if I'm correct that I can ride one after several years off. I keep telling myself I have two friends that ride every day and both are over 90. One circles the lake, which is over 8 miles and the other rides everywhere, plus distances.
Old 05-13-2018, 06:37 AM

Love that recumbent bike. What a talented husband you have! My husband has a 10 speed he bought as a teenager. I have a bike with gears as well. We also have a set of beach cruisers. We love riding our bikes.
Old 05-13-2018, 06:55 AM

Well, that didn't work out. The bike has a lock on it and I've forgotten the magic word. The tag is not on the bulletin board where it belongs. Now do I order the bike without trying one?
Old 05-13-2018, 08:59 AM

bought one yesterday!. I am a bike fan Have and ride lots of them from Pennyfarthings to tiny folders. I rode with my sis last week and she had trouble lifting her foot high enough to get through a conventional woman's bike from the 60s. I thought. "What might she need to do this in comfort?" My recumbents freak new riders out. recumbent trikes are great, but getting on and off them can be problematic.

Giant bicycles made ( for only 2 years) the bike pictured below, called a Revive. It is a semi recumbent. upright comfortable riding position , nice visibility and great comfort with a rear suspension. Alas Giant doesn't support them well, so it is a risk to get one. Day 6 currently makes a similar bike. I have seen them but not ridden one, but
[ATTACH=CONFIG]594370[/ATTACH]I 'd certainly recommend someone checking them out. These bikes aren't easy to fit on a bike rack on a car, but with some maneuvering, it fit into a Nissan Vera note hatchback. I can not recommend big box bikes. They are frequently assembled badly and have generally short life spans. We know cheap sewing machines are rarely bargains. over the years.
Attached Thumbnails revive-2-b.jpg  
Old 05-13-2018, 09:09 AM

Elnan, your trikes look great. much talent there.

Meanmom, yes Townie's are nice also.

Irishrose2 crank forward is also a catch phrase you may follow. If I were at your house, it would not take me long to open your combination lock.

all, yes, that is a back rest on the Giant. 20" Wheels. I got a lowered price because the front brakes didn't work. It took me 5 minutes and a pair of pliers to fix that.