Anyone use a FitBit?

Old 07-29-2016, 07:23 AM

Originally Posted by SewingSew View Post
My daughter has used a Fitbit for 3 years. Several months ago, she bought the latest, geatest model. It has a face as big as a watch on it and displays a digital readout. She loves hers. She wanted to give me her old model and I said no thank you. I'd rather use a pedometer. I am not interested in being tracked to that degree. I value my privacy. I recently read that information gathered from Fitbits are being allowed in courts as admissable evidence.
my vivo does NOT have a GPS component. one reason that I wanted it. It is waterproof too
sandy
Old 07-29-2016, 07:41 AM

Sandygirl, Isn't the Vivo made by Garmin? I thought that they all had GPS trackers, or that the device had to hook up with one. Which model do you have? If I knew of a model without a GPS tracker, I might consider buying one.
Old 07-29-2016, 07:42 AM

I wear my fitbit every day.

Last week I took a bus trip to the Hershey Quilt Show with my guild. The bus obviously needed new shocks as it was very, very bumpy. And - when my fitbit vibrated to tell me I had hit my daily steps goal - I was sitting in my seat on the bus. So, it was recording the bumps as steps. I hit close to 14,000 steps that day!!
Old 07-29-2016, 07:51 AM

PAMAR, They say the longest journey begins with a single step. That was wicked funny!
Old 07-29-2016, 09:50 AM

I bought a Fitbit Flex when they first came out, had it for about 10 months and then one morning it wouldn't recharge or turn on, tried everything to reboot and contacted customer service but nothing worked. I decided to buy a Fitbit Zip to replace it and am much happier with my choice. I think the Zip actually gives me a more accurate reading of steps taken. The ones you wear on your wrist will record steps when you are typing on your computer (they tell you not to put on your dominate hand). The Zip if pretty accurate in recording but like most trackers I find that if I am doing strength exercises, yoga or Tia Chia and not cardio it doesn't record movement. The battery in the Zip will last for about 6 months and it will sync to my computer and smart phone so I can keep track anywhere. I wear in the center of my bra and don't have to worry about losing it.
Old 07-29-2016, 04:48 PM

Originally Posted by SewingSew View Post
Sandygirl, Isn't the Vivo made by Garmin? I thought that they all had GPS trackers, or that the device had to hook up with one. Which model do you have? If I knew of a model without a GPS tracker, I might consider buying one.

It is a Garmin VivoSmart HR. It is tethered to the Smart phone ( Iphone for me). I keep my location services locked down on all of my devices. I set them to "while using the app" setting.

sandy
Old 07-29-2016, 06:06 PM

DH got the fitbit for Christmas last year. He has diabetes and does not exercise much but tracks his steps faithfully -- helps him keep moving.
Old 07-29-2016, 06:50 PM

I have the FitBit One and really like it. I wear it on my bra during the day and in a wristband in the evening and at night. It helps me get up and moving and not sit too much. I also like the silent alarm feature. I don't use all the features but some of them look like they could be really useful.
Old 07-30-2016, 06:59 AM

Originally Posted by toverly View Post
I think fitbits require Iphones, so make certain everyone has an iphone. It's a great idea.
No, they don't. I don't have an iphone. You just sync it with your computer with a dongle that they supply with your fitbit.
Old 07-30-2016, 07:00 AM

Originally Posted by Sandygirl View Post
It is a Garmin VivoSmart HR. It is tethered to the Smart phone ( Iphone for me). I keep my location services locked down on all of my devices. I set them to "while using the app" setting.

sandy
I dont' know about Garmin but Fitbit's don't have GPS or so I'm told my Fitbit.