Anyone want to talk birds?

Old 12-09-2012, 06:42 PM

I just lost an Amazon that I had for 35 yr. He was suppose to be 3 when I got him but could have been older. I sure miss him. He did talk for many years than just decided (like a child) to only say what he wanted and to get my or hubby's attention. If he called my name and I didn't answer he would call my hubby's. He was really funny with our cats and I miss him a lot. Now I have a smaller parrot that I inherited from my hubby's nephew. A white crowned Pianus.Nice little bird but he has a thing against women. After many years I finally got him not to try to bite when I feed him. After ten yrs you would think he would trust me by now. But the house cats love him and (though I can't let him out of his cage cause I can't trust him not to come and bite me) they pat him at the cage wires and sit with him a lot. My Amazon always had the freedom of in or out unless we would be gone overnight and many a time we would hear him climb down the cage and walk into the bedroom at night while we watched tv. He would visit and cuddle for a bit and then I would put him back on his cage. After more then half my lifetime I sure do miss him.
Old 12-10-2012, 06:01 AM

Location: Quilting, crocheting, sewing and crafting in my Sewing Room...Peaceful and wonderful !!

Before he succumbed to Avian Flu.My cockatoo-Baby loved his 4 legged friends- He would have coffee and toast with me (that was before I knew coffee was bad for a bird), then him and the dogs (1 dauschund, 1 poodle who thought he was a dauschund...LOL) would follow me all over the house. When I sat down the dogs would be at my feet and the bird would come up and perch on my shoulder. Just like any other fur babies or feather babies-they just need to know each other is not going to kill the other and trust will evolve ... Just remember BIG birds need wood to chew on as in the wild they chew on the trees to help their beak. Patience and love are just part of the world to come when owning a feathered baby, as well as keeping them clean and thier area clean. Be sure you have the time to spend with them.
Old 12-10-2012, 06:14 AM

A few years ago we had a BlueGold McCaw, an African Gray and a poodle and they got along fine. The two bird cages sat side by side and talked to each other but we never let them out of their cages at the same time. They teased the dog but they all got along fine.
Old 12-10-2012, 08:04 AM

I,ve had sulfur crest cocketoo. he needed alot of attention or he'd scream(LOUDLY) and he out did the TV. He talked and swore. I had dogs he'd chase the dogs. After many ,many years I call the parrot club and they would put him on a adoption list. They said they already had 7 of them on the list. But my Cookie, found a home quickly. The gentlemen who adopted him had a huge bird room. and most of the birds where not in a caGE UNLESS THEY WANTED TO. Look up a Parrot Club in your area and go to their meetings lots of help given. Just my opinion, Good luck
Old 12-10-2012, 12:03 PM

I have a South American Blue Tip Parrot. He an my husband had a great time. I also have a Mini Doxie who barkes at the bird to try to get him to throw a peanut. When the bird has had enough of the barking, he swings his door out and poops on the dog. If I could only get a video of that. They have been nose to nose and there have been monents that I thought my dog would get a bite, but no they just go nose to nose and then on their way. As my husband pased about a year ago the big bird will have nothing to do with me. The bird man that I have been talking to says it will just take time as the bird and my husband had bonded. The big bird is still a lot of fun to watch. When we have birds dring out of our swimming pool the big bird will yell and the dogs go running out barking and off go the birds.
Old 12-10-2012, 12:05 PM
Power Poster

jarenie I am in stiches about your poop on doggies bird. Too funny!!!!
Old 12-10-2012, 03:44 PM

My bro and SIL have an African grey and he is a hoot! They have two dogs also and they all seem to get along fine. SIL has the bird trained to play dead - so funny- and he does these crazy monologues totally imitating my brothers voice and other people talking. It is all very cool there.

I haven't had any birds since I was a child. Our two cats both passed this year, and we are really "empty nesters" now. It's been a bit of a relief, since the one required soo much special care in his last years, but we may get more later, after we've had a touch of freedom for a while. Pets are so much fun and add so much to the family.
Old 12-10-2012, 07:56 PM

Hi Anna, I have an umbrella cockatoo, she is 15yrs young. She was given to me as the lady really didn't have enough time to spend with her as much as she use to . Because her children were active in sports, and other activities and also when her son would try and study the bird would go into her LOUD SCREAMING and also when her husband came home from work after working all night and trying to sleep she would be so noisy that he was getting upset with it. I never had a big bird like this and when I went to get her all I could think of is she going to bite me or not take to me etc. Well she took right to me and I LOVE Allie so much. But the thing is with these kind of parrots is their very high decimal pitch of hollering or noises they make and also the Moluccan cockatoo has a much greater piercing voice. You have to think are you going to be able to stand this and will this interrupt things with your family living. These are one of the first birds that people try to find someone to take . My friend has a double yellow head amazon and he is just a wonderful bird he talks and his voice isn't like the cockatoos. She got him when he wasn't quite a yr. old and he is just soooo funny. So Please really check out about if you really think the cockatoos are the right bird for you and your family. They Require ALOT of attention from their owners. But I just really love mine yes sometimes she really gets my nerves on edge .LOL
Old 12-18-2012, 07:08 PM
Power Poster

Budggies are great birds. My Macy would play hide and seek with me peek a boo and showered with me every morning. He would stay on my head in the shower and do his thing while i did mine and when we finished he would sit on the edge of the mirror and prean and talk to himself. He was so smart.

I caught Macy in a parking lot of a mall that is right next to a kiddie amusement park where they had birds to use as entertainment. This little guy forunatly escaped. He was setting right under the tire of my car so I tossed my sweatshirt over him and carried him home in my lap. He was with me for twelve years. A great friend.

The one thing you must consider seriously when taking on this kind of commitment is it will be a life time campanion. Parrots are very long lived so you must really be commited to it's care and protection for a lifetime.

They become very attached to people and routine is real important too. You can't just have a neighbor care for them if you take a vacation. They can get depressed if denied their loved ones.They are a lot of work. It it not just seeds and water and cleaning a cage. Parrots require a lot of attention and mental stimulation. They should not be allowed to languish in a cage by themselves all day while the household is at work and school and busy.

I have seen this happen and have cared for several birds that unknowingly were negected. When you think you are giving a parrot enough attention you are only at the edge of what they truely require.

If you are serious about getting a parrot PLEASE try to get a rescue bird and NOT one from any pet store. Do some research on where these birds come from and how they are captured.

Unless you buy a bird from someone who hand raises them from egg up to fledge, you may be participating in a very cruel trade in animals.

Please do your homework on this. Parrots can be wonderful companions if done right.
peace
Old 12-18-2012, 08:00 PM

We had a Goffin Cockatoo. He was a riot. It's like having a small child in the house. He was a rescue and had been ignored, so he would pull his feathers out. We paid a lot of attention to him and he got better about it. He would sit on top of the roof and throw rocks at us if he was feeling ignored. We had a large dog and the dog knew who was boss. The cats just left the room if he was out. My DH taught him to play toss with wads of paper. He would mumble things to himself, but didn't really talk much. He would call my daughter in DH's voice. When we both started teaching he went to live with a retired teacher, because she could be with him more. She rubs him with herbs to keep him from pulling his feathers.