Arthritic hands

Old 12-05-2010, 12:11 PM

Originally Posted by redvette54
I found an Epson salt cream at CVS. There was a post a week or so ago about using Epson salts and all the good reviews. I wanted to try it for my lower back, but because of my back and a knee that doesn't bend very much, I can't get in and out of a bath tub. The cream seems to help, even hubby's using it. Today, however, nothing is helping the OA in my back, trying to keep busy to keep my mind off it, but thats not working to good.
------------------------------------------
Forgot to mention that I make the Epsom Salt cream for my daughter's arthritis and occasional skin problems. I cover it with just enough water and boil it, then add Coconut Oil. Stir till it starts to harden, which in cold weather isn't long. Then I put it in a pretty container and ship it to her. I think the Magnesium in it can be absorbed quicker this way. Probably the Coconut Oil in itself is good because it is a clean food.
Old 12-05-2010, 01:12 PM

Originally Posted by lorniki
Well it is finally happening -- my hands and fingers are getting stiff. Anyone out there with hints ---gloves, creams, exercises, etc.?
Wow! Thanks for all the ideas. I have the gloves but think I bought them too big. Am trying a cream called 'Pain Be Gone" which seems to help a little.
Old 12-05-2010, 03:08 PM

Repeated use of Aleve can also raise your blood pressure. I've also used Vicks and covered it with a glove or elastic bandage.
Old 12-05-2010, 04:03 PM

I didn't know Aleve could raise your BP! Then so can Naproxen Sodium, Motrin and so on...I'm glad you mentioned that. My BP is so high now I'm on 3 meds for it. I'd rather put up with the pain as to take that and the risk. Thank You MommaB...
Old 12-05-2010, 04:25 PM

I don't use Aleve and such as it makes my ears ring and they ring bad enough without anyhelp. I have been having good luck with new Aspercreme gel with the applicator buy at Wal Mart. I will have to try the Epsom Salt Cream if I can find it.
Patti Sue
Old 12-05-2010, 04:42 PM

Patti Sue, If my ears didn't ring I would think something is wrong! I think they've done that all my life. Not sure why.
Old 12-05-2010, 05:55 PM

Originally Posted by Momma_K
I didn't know Aleve could raise your BP! Then so can Naproxen Sodium, Motrin and so on...I'm glad you mentioned that. My BP is so high now I'm on 3 meds for it. I'd rather put up with the pain as to take that and the risk. Thank You MommaB...
Pain can also bring up your blood pressure. It is a vicious circle! Motrin is not Naproxen it is Ibuprofen. Aleve is Naproxen and I've heard of dangerous side effects from this. I am on Lodine. It is an NSAID prescription I got from my dr. It is similar to Voltaren and Ibuprofen and doesn't mess up your stomach as much. It worked quite well for years but now my body has gotten used to it and so we are looking for something else to try. You can't be on these forever or they stop working.
Old 12-05-2010, 06:17 PM

I use BioFreeze...and when I have time, I do hot wax dipping...feels so good on your hands. The therapist use to use it on my hands when I first had surgery...I found one at a garage sale and buy my wax at walmart and other drug stores.
Old 12-05-2010, 06:20 PM
Banned

Watkins sells a medicated ointment, like Vicks. Put it on the joint and put a band aide on top. Leave it for 24 hours and repeat. Within a few days it will go away never to return. I'm not sure if Vicks will do the same...but the watkins has done this for a few members of my family, including me
Old 12-05-2010, 07:01 PM

Originally Posted by mzsooz
Originally Posted by Momma_K
Pain can also bring up your blood pressure. It is a vicious circle! Motrin is not Naproxen it is Ibuprofen. Aleve is Naproxen and I've heard of dangerous side effects from this. I am on Lodine. It is an NSAID prescription I got from my dr. It is similar to Voltaren and Ibuprofen and doesn't mess up your stomach as much. It worked quite well for years but now my body has gotten used to it and so we are looking for something else to try. You can't be on these forever or they stop working.
I must have heard it wrong about Motrin but I'm glad to have all the advice and suggestions. I think it benefits everyone. I would had never thought of hot wax. And Watkins...man they've been around for years! I remember my grandmother using it. Not the linament but the other like flavorings and such.

Thats is one reason I love this site, we all are willing to help each other no matter what the issue is. I don't think we could find that anywhere else on the net...or living around us in person.