Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Attention: Cat owners

Blog Entries

Attention: Cat owners

I have not had a cat for 60 years, and suddenly getting one from a couple who want to travel. Anyway I heard that some houseplants are toxic to cats. I have a dieffenbachia (?) and Christmas Cactus and an aloe vera plant. Are any of these toxic? What else should I be watching for that could harm my 2 year old kitty? Do they get into trouble in my sewing room? Thanks in advance for your help.

In the beautiful hills of northwest Connecticut.
    Dieffenbachia affects a cat's central nervous system. I saw somewhere that aloe vera is also poisonous, but my cat doesn't bother with that. I have Christmas Cacti as well, & I believe they are okay. For a list of plants poisonous to your cat & the side effects, check this website:

http://cats.about.com/cs/catmanageme...isonplants.htm

And for a complete list of plants & household products that are poisonous to cats, check out this site:

http://www.petcaretips.net/plants_poisonous_cats.html

As for the sewing room, just don't drop any needles. I did that once as a kid, & when our cat had to be taken to the vet, guess what he found in his stomach? Yep, a needle. My mother was not happy with me.

Enjoy your new pet's company; he will give much more than he receives!
    ​My soul is fed with needle & thread.

I don't know about the plants, but oh yes they will get into trouble in the sewing room. Anything small and shiney will attract them and they will probably eat it. It's not too big of a problem if you keep her out of your sewing room or keep it very clean. I'm thinking my sewing room and even my cats didn't want to go in there. Too messy. No cats anymore, but I do miss them. Just remembered a cat I had several years ate a tuber from an English ivy and almost died. The plant was gone but the roots were still there. I learned to research any new plants after that.
    Sue

Blog Entries
    Before you remove the plants watch kitty to see if it is attracted to them for chewing. I only worry about cats getting thread in their mouths. keep thread bits cleaned up. The reason is that cats can't push stuff out of their mouths because of the nature of their tongue. They have to swallow and thread can be very dangerous for their intestines.

I have never had this happen to my kitties but I don't take the chance and sweep after every sewing session. My kitties have never been interested in my house plants but lots are. The dieffenbachia could be a problem but toxic plants are usually so awful tasting they will only bite at a leaf once and say no thank you to any more chewing.

If you are nervous about having your cat and plants share space, be cautious and remove the plants. You will feel so much better. Kitty will be a joy.
    peace
    no act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted. Aesop

Blog Entries
    Yes, thread is extremely dangerous for cats. Yarn too.

Blog Entries
    call your vet for a list. garlic and onions are very toxic. What's your new furbaby's name, and do you have a picture, please.

maybe grow wheat grass or kitty nap. My little girl, a Russian blue adores the stuff and asks for it every afternoon. Nothing like a stoned kitty!
    put off till tomorrow what you can do today, and if you procrastinate long enough, you may never have to do it.

I have not read others' links, but poinsettias are mildly toxic to cats and dogs.

Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.
    Give your new friend places to climb so she/he can see out windows and over top of things. They will climb on your kitchen counters and sewing machine otherwise! Yours is still young enough to be rather energetic and playful.
    Cats also love boxes. Just saw one turned upside down, one end cut off, an old t-shirt stretched over the whole box with the neck hole for a 'door' into the box. Great idea!
    Long twigs with a feather or two tied to the end also makes a great plaything for you to hold and dangle before her/him.

You are more blessed than your realize, cats are very entertaining!! I miss mine at the farm immensely.

Jan in VA
    Jan in VA
    Living in the foothills
    peacefully colors my world.
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/members...bums19552.html

Blog Entries
    My 18month kitten is sleeping on the back of my chair. She is a demon and investigates everywhere, places you don't think about. On top of wardrobes boxes and pinches the dogs' food. She plays chasing games with one of the dogs all round the house and snuggles with the other. She loves looking through windows but has no interest in going outside. My older cat just looks at her although when I disappear they rub up against each other. My four pets are great fun I'm sure your new kitten will have a wonderful spoils time.
    Finished is better than a UFO

And don't let it chew on your sewing machine electricity cord. Kitten was fine but my poor Bernina!

Blog Entries
    My life would be pretty empty without my 4 fur-balls. They protect me from bats and moths in the house. After the ceiling was fixed we had no more bats, but yesterday the youngest kitten grabbed a moth and chomped it down before I could retrieve it. It's a natural thing and he was fine.

Thread is deadly to cats. I caught mine running from the S.Rm while thread was unwinding from a cone. My DH caught him and I pulled more than a couple of yards from his mouth and throat. We took him for xray to be sure we got it all--he was okay. The vet said thread cannot be digested and just wraps around the intestines and closes off, so the kitty will die if he doesn't get surgery quickly. Not all cats love thread like that one little rascal, but I am very careful about keeping the door closed when not sewing.

Blog Entries
    before i had a door on my sewing room, my orange tabby got in and happened to lick a tiny piece of poly stuffing. dropped it (or so it looked like) and later on started throwing up. went out in the snow to tinkle and I saw blood. Took him to Vet and they had to do a barium enema. Not a happy cat. Must have helped move the poly bit because after he calmed down, all was fine again. Now I have a door!!! No cat allowed. I have 3 now. had to put my english ivy pot on the side porch this winter due to it being poisonous to cats. It barely survived. Lots of things to watch with pets. Just like with children. have fun but keep a watchful eye.

Blog Entries
    Always had one or more cats in my home, currently three.

I have never had a cat eat a house plant except the pink polka dot plant. Killed the plant, the cat was perfectly ok. I have poinsettias at Christmas every year, the cats (and in the past kittens) have never bothered with them.

I have quite a few house plants and do not worry about the pets prior to purchasing plants.

My cats have unlimited access to outdoors and I do not worry about the garden plants either.

Yes, the sewing room can present hazards for pets. Mine stay out on their own accord, but I did have one that loved to lay on the ironing board up against the hot iron. The ironing board was set up in another room. I have no idea how he managed not to singe his fur. Nothing I did could convince him that it was not a good idea. There was no door on that space, so closing the door was not an option.
    Attending University. I will graduate a year after my son and year before my daughter.

My DH never had a cat until me. He now Loves, loves, loves them! We have hit our limit at three. Kind of like potato chips-you can never have just one!
    Their favorite quilt is always the one in progress.
    My small piece of advice-feed a quality food, for them and you-you can see and smell the difference from/in the litter box.
    Excited for you and your new buddy!

PS: I hope you are considering having your new buddy as a strictly indoors type of kitty, there are sooo many hazards outside including diseases. This just happened to a friend, let the cat be an indoor/outdoor cat now the cat is sick with Feline HIV. Cost effective to be an indoor cat. Cats get sick or injured results in vet costs that could have been avoided(you know fabric money). Or they just disappear and then you are sick with worry. Safer inside.

We have only one left now and he is a real cuddlebun. We lost our Chester (my avatar) last August. He was 17 and was a lovely pet. I have to agree with Jo Anne B. Our last few cats have been indoor only (except for Chester who managed to escape once every summer--we'd usually find him in the catnip patch 'all mellowed out' It is so much easier than worrying that your beloved pet his been run over or hurt or killed by a wild animal.

We are lucky enough to have a screened in porch and the cats practically lived out there all summer, watching the wildlife and sleeping in the sun. You might want to invest in the teflon type of window screen. It is a pain to replace but will stand up to kitty's claws. Have fun with your new housemate!
    Never argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down the their level and beat you with experience.

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    It doesn't take much for a pet to become very ill from a diffenbachia. All they need do is bite into it. They won't like it and they can suffocate very quickly. Diffenbachia means something like bad or dead bite. My neighbor lost her 10 year old cat when a friend decided to take it home while she was on vacation. She didn't want to make a daily trip to check on the cat. She was only 3 days into her trip and was devastated. Cat would've been fine by itself. Thetime the neighbor took the cat home with her, my friend's home was also broken into and quilts and jewelry were taken. Rough time for my friend. Check out pet friendly plants always.

Blog Entries
    Jan- Thanks for the cat-box idea!

Eucalyptus & croton are dangerous to them too.
    Grandma of 5 beautiful grand kids, 4 crazy cats & 1 dog!

Here is the ASPCA list of toxic plants to cats: https://www.aspca.org/pet-care/anima...ats-plant-list
    They have a national poison control site for animals used by vets and individual owners.

Kola doesn't seem to bother any of my plants. I do keep the thread scraps off the floor as well as pins and needles. She does love to run off with my scrunchie hair ties.
    Everyone is born right handed, only the gifted overcome it.
    I have already committed my felonies, so people don't have to worry. (Russell Means)
    I swear to you, I am guilty of only being Indian. That's why I am here. (Leonard Peltier)
    “If you can’t see a mistake from 12 feet away, it doesn’t exist, and there are no perfect quilts and that helps a lot,” .......Greg Biornstad

Over the years, we had many animals in the house, but believe me I was the worst thing for a cat. Having a houseful of kids, cats, dogs and what ever, I never had a minute to spare, what with house work, large garden, barn full of animals & and a full time job, I just didn`t have time to worry if one wasen`t around. But they were always watered & fed. Then, when I changed bedding up stairs, I would pull a large drawer in hall open to get clean bedding for each room and pick all the dirty bedding up, took my elbow and close the drawer on the way down. You get it! One of the kids had brought a kitten home that was being teased at school, well we looked & looked for it, but it was no place to be found. Go ahead a week, I did the same thing with the bedding, I opened the drawer, and did I get a nasty look!!! Now all the kids went passed that drawer every A.M. & P.M. and it never made a sound. Boy was she hunger and she just never liked me again!

Enjoy the kitty, I am not sure what plants affect them but there has to be several places on Internet to check and you could always call a vet and ask.
    Age is mind over matter.......if you don't mind ........it doesn't matter! 😂
    Nancy

A tip for all cat owners and future owners..........

Make sure your large potted plants have no space for kitty to use as a portable potty.

Don't ask me how I know this...
    Everyone is born right handed, only the gifted overcome it.
    I have already committed my felonies, so people don't have to worry. (Russell Means)
    I swear to you, I am guilty of only being Indian. That's why I am here. (Leonard Peltier)
    “If you can’t see a mistake from 12 feet away, it doesn’t exist, and there are no perfect quilts and that helps a lot,” .......Greg Biornstad

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast