Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: August 2013 Weight Loss Adventure with a Prize!!!!!

I went to the gym last night and worked out with weights for the first time in months. I'm a little sore, but not too bad. My shoulder hurts, I guess I should ice it for a few minutes. ? I should probably do the weights and then yoga, so I'm stretched out!

Good Morning ladies..... hope you all have had a good week. My week has been up and down. My weight is finally heading in the right direction. I am excited about that. Have a busy weekend ahead of me, just have to make sure that i remember to eat the right things and not just grab something just to eat.

Have several projects to work on this weekend and some other stuff to do that I don't want to do. Plus I have to....need to plan meals for the week, good thing it will be a short work week. Then next weekend have a conference to go to.

tothill.........sorry to hear about your hubby, still check in with us you can get all the encouragement to help you not be that stress eater.
    Cindy R in Dallas, TX

"My day is not complete until I play with fabric in some manner......whether be sewing, cutting or just fondling for a new project."

Good morning everyone. Today starts my 'stress' time. I am a member of our county fair board and today starts all the pre-activity before fair opens on Thursday. I'll be working with the take ins and judging from this morning through Wednesday afternoon. They cook for us, so I'll have to watch what I eat (usually don't eat a heavy meal in the middle of the day, saving that for about 5:30 each day) Cause, of course, if I eat that early, I still have to cook for hubby when I get home. Really need to watch.
    My personal Satisfying Saturday while I am working will stay in my mind's eye -- I am going to keep my scales with me (right up front in my mind) and hanging on to the numbers. If I want the scale to show a 3 pound loss, that's the number I'll keep in my mind, but more than likely it'll be just a 1 pound LOSS number. During the judging of all those cakes and pies, we are always trying them out with the judges - but this year, it's a big NO-NO for me! I'll hope there will be lots of chocolate - I really am not much for chocolate cakes or cookies - but the other flavors, ho boy! Eat healthy everyone and keep hydrated (oh, I'll have to remember to take water with me...)
    Kathleen

Live today as if it may be your last, for who knows...

Blog Entries
    Tothill. So sorry to hear about your DH. My prayers are with you for a successful surgery and a speedy recovery.
    My Dh just came home with 1 1/2 dozen donuts. I don't really like them but I ate one so far. Hopefully the boys will get up soon and finish them before I start picking on them again. One isn't too bad but more could be a disaster. I have a house full of guests again and I love to cook so i will have to be careful of what we have. I have a busy weekend this weekend. I hope to squeeze in some exercise somewhere. My DS who is here from JApan leaves on Tuesday hopefully things will calm down a little bit around here then. It seems like things have been really hectic here for months. I leave for Myrtle Beach with my 2 SIL on Saturday. Hopefully we can relax. I am going to teach them and 2 neighbor ladies how to make a professional tote while we are there. Other than that we don't have any plans. Should be fun.
    Eat healthy, drink lots of water. Have fun!
    Pat

Hi All!!
    I got my two FQ's in the mail yesterday to cover August and September.
    My poor Bernina has been in the shop since the 14th of June. They had it 5 weeks without letting me know what it needed to fix it. Now the part is on back order. I was not a happy camper. The intention was that it would have been fixed and ready for me to pick up when I got back in town after being gone 5 weeks.
    I pulled out my old Pfaff and have whipped up 5 quilt tops. One is for a friend that gave her timeshare points for a get together, another is a "Challenge" quilt from my quilting group and 3 are from packets of 7 FQ's that I found at Tuesday Morning for only $2.99. I'm going to donate those to my guild for children who need a hug.
    I put on several pounds from my being on the road for so long. So far, I have not really taken much off. It's depressing. I do need to work harder at this!
    Hope you all have a blessed weekend!!!

My newest Grandson, Caleb Austin, was born May 29th. I am now Grandma to 4 precious babies. I am so blessed!!!!

I did it!!! I went to our family reunion Saturday at noon and didn't eat any desserts at all. I ate a piece of chicken and some salad, had a few grapes and drank my water. Saturday night we had a benefit at our church to raise money for my DIL's father. He had a stroke in March. There was a lot of food there too, but I ate chicken again and some broccoli and took my water to drink. I looked at the dessert table but didn't take any. I determined before I went that I could resist the desserts this time and I did it. I hope it pays off next week when I go to weigh.

Quote Originally Posted by Teddybear Lady View Post
    I did it!!! I went to our family reunion Saturday at noon and didn't eat any desserts at all. I ate a piece of chicken and some salad, had a few grapes and drank my water. Saturday night we had a benefit at our church to raise money for my DIL's father. He had a stroke in March. There was a lot of food there too, but I ate chicken again and some broccoli and took my water to drink. I looked at the dessert table but didn't take any. I determined before I went that I could resist the desserts this time and I did it. I hope it pays off next week when I go to weigh.
    You are great inspiration for me, Teddybear Lady. We have my DMIL's 85th birthday celebration today! I don't know all of the food that will be there, but my goal is to not snack on chips and things and to have only one teeny tiny piece of birthday cake.

Mornin' All . . .

You all are sssssssssssssssssoooooooooooooooooo encouraging. I cut ALL FRIED FOODS & instead of pop & juices, I drank good'ole H20 . That should be worth a pound or two. Not weighing this week - I'll do it next Sunday.

I'm asking everybody for their forgiveness - I mixed up the FQ mailing/due date to the Hostess. I thought it was the 15th of August. I promise to mail it first thing Monday morning . . .

Everybody have a Healthy Week . . . . GP.
    Create A Great Day ! ! ! !
    MQB-3 / RAB-2 / Booms 11 & 13 / Projects
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/members/groovy-pieces-u129541-albums.html

I am not sure why it's so hard for me to resist desserts at a buffet table. They are hardly ever worth the calories since they are often dried out from sitting out but I feel that pull to just try them anyway. Kudos for y'all walking away from them! CindyA, have that piece of cake but leave as much frosting on your plate as you can. I like the cake part much better anyway I have lost my "company weight" and am ready to drop another chunk from my tummy. Geeeze; giving birth was easier than losing this mound!
    .* .*)) -::-
    ((.*~Dody.*))
    -::- ((.* .*((.. *-::- ...

Well, I'm not big on posting. I usually can't think of anything to say when I start typing. Congrats to all that are loosing. Keep it up. Even if you don't win the FQ's you still win. I used to do Richard Simmons "Sweating to the Oldies." It's fun and works. Doug out the old videos. I am down 4 pounds so far since Aug 1. That makes 15 pounds since July 8 when I started. I am going to Mertyle Beach in Sept with daughter and son in law. Now I have to take in the clothes I bought . Oh well. It's worth it.

My story.....I have always been over weight. I swore that I would never hit 300. I did. When my husband passed away 2 1/2 yrs ago I ate. and ate. I have added over 30# in the last 2+ yrs. I talked with my Dr for help but we haven't started anything yet. So one night in July I was watching QVC and they had the nutri system as a Todays Value. I figured I wasn't out anything so I ordered it. It arrived on July 5. I waited until July 8 (first of the week) to start. Foods not bad. And... it's working. Now for the exercise. I work for Lowe's so I do alot of walking, up-down ladders, lifting paint cans etc, so I do get some exercise. I also watch my 3 mo and 26 mo grandchildren 2 days a week. That in itself is exercise. What I need is exercise to firm the belly. I have a bad left knee (need replacement), bad back and rotary cuff tendinitise. So some exercises I can't do. I do know Richard Simmons videos will help the belly. Just hope I can keep up. I have an exercise bike--can't do it. The knee doesn't like it. I am putting it up for sale. Cheap just to get it out of the garage.

Soo......if anyone is still reading.....Oh.....I do sew and quilt. I have 3 quilts in the making right now...One is the Rings that Bind for my daughter that got married....oops....9 yrs ago. A bit late. #2 is my other daughters wedding quilt using her wedding dress cut up in a Courthouse steps with the solid squares the signature squares from the reception....2 yrs ago in Courthouse, Oh. The pattern seemed appropriate........and one for my granddaughter when she graduates into a full size bed next year into her own room from her "car" bed. And an assortment of bags started, cut, but not finished. When I get home from work I am usually too tired to quilt. Days off with the grandkids. Oh well. They will get done eventually. I hope to retire next year when I turn 60 and qualify for my husbands social security. Then I will have the time. Again thanks for reading. I guess I did find something to write about. Hope your weren't bored Yuck....now I have to go to work. Boy I can't wait until next November.
    Last edited by craftygater; 08-11-2013 at 06:19 AM.

Blog Entries
    We are having a birthday party for my mom and DS tonight with my whole family. Not sure what we are having because everyone brings something. I do know that the desserts are really bad because I made them. I made a heaven and hell cake and a peach raspberry pie. The calories in the cake have got to be off the charts. I do know we are having fruit salad. With my family we pretty much aways do. Hopefully they will ll eat the cake so there aren't any leftovers. Gotta behave myself. My quilt guild potluck is Tuesday night another major tempting night.
    I had better exercise extra this week.

@Beachbound, just got back so I didn't read your tip until it was too late! At least I stuck to my small size, and I'll remember your tip for next time.

@Craftygater, good for you for getting started. And a great start, too!! I just started doing some excercises for my belly. Yuck!! But, it'll work.

I did ok at my MIL's birthday party. I did get a second helping of the baked beans because they were ssooo good. I'm partial, though, because they're my husband's special recipe.

I've had a very "tempting" weekend. First a family reunion, with homemade desserts, then a benefit for my DIL's father, with homemade desserts, and finally lunch today after church with family at Western Sizzlin, with desserts. I didn't give in though. Sometimes if I ever take that first bite of something sweet, I'm hooked. Saturday's family reunion was especially hard because my mom made three different desserts and she's a great cook. I just kept reminding myself that I already knew what her desserts tasted like and even though they would be great to taste again, I enjoyed the compliments from my family on my 41 lb. weight loss. Most of them come from another state once a year, so I was happy they noticed. This encourages me to keep doing what I'm doing and not give up. All of you on this journey with me...we can do it! I hope you have a great week.

I have been "lurking" and enjoy all your comments and encouragements. I'm not in the challenge, but I am trying to lose weight. I have started an exercise program at the gym and am going to join the Zumba group. I'm not very coordinated but they said that I would be able to do it! I found that sugar free Tropical popsicles satisfy my craving for something sweet. They do have 15 calories, but are very refreshing. I don't like plain water, but I'm trying to drink more to stay hydrated in this terrible heat. I am volunteering at the Senior Center in my hometown and have started learning to piece and hope to learn to hand quilt soon. I love to sew. Good luck to everyone with your weight loss journey.

Blog Entries
    Gmacox the tropical popsicles sound good. I will have to get some. I have had a terrible sweets craving lately. Fruit just hasn't been cutting it lately. At least my favorite drink is water. That is pretty much all I drink. The heaven and hell cake I made was awesome! And it is gone which is good or I would be picking on it right now.
    Going to spinning class this morning. I need it. Great stress reliever and great exercise. Hopefully things will get back to "normal" here soon. Things have been crazy around here for months. Can't wait to go to Myrtle Beach. We are leaving Friday morning. It will be just us girls. Hopefully I will have my sewing machine back by then.
    Pat

Blog Entries
    Reporting in girls. nothing gained, nothing lost.
    Please pray for my daughter and DH both are having medical issues. Lumps in dd breast and hubby is having side/hernia type pain.
    Life is short, live it while you still can. QuilterMomma

I went to a donation auction for the fire department and picked up a double stroller for a dollar Saturday. Took both DGD's for a walk yesterday afternoon. Main St was pretty quiet so we went up and down several times on the shady side of the street looking in the windows. Holding my own so far weight wise. I'm hopeful for my goal of getting under 200 pounds but I'll have to really work at it to succeed this month.
    countrymaid- I clean up after the kids, the husband and the farm animals

Blog Entries
    I haven't lost any yet this month, but there's time yet. Cindy, my FQ is having trouble making it out of the house - I'll put in a drop box when I walk the dogs this evening. Gardening again - pulling out Stella D'Oro lilies and putting in hostas. Too much work, but I'm determined when I make up my mind.

What sounds good for dinner? I'm drawing a blank.

QM, I will pray for your family members. Keep us posted, please.

Sounds like a lot of us are having huge challenges with all the birthday parties and family reunions. Myself included - big time. Friday night we had our thanksgiving dinner, Saturday we had a wedding, Sunday we drove to Iowa for a family reunion and today we drove home again - 700 miles round trip. I don't think I will weigh myself in the morning. I remembered to wear my support stockings so that should help some. During the drive home my son found out that a co-worker died while on vacation from deep vein thrombosis. She was in her 30's. so tragic. That is something I M fearful of for my family. Since we have factor five Leiden and we do a lot of traveling. My kids go overseas again in the next week. I am hoping my life can get back to normal soon.
    here is a pic of the quilt I gave to the wedding couple. The quilting was fun to do. Also a pic of my little DGD ready for the packer game.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries
    Sweet little baby girl. I like your quilt, very nice. Prayers for all that are having health issues etc. I always have to watch for blood clots. I had a deep vein thrombosis several years ago in the calf of my left leg. My husband has had one in his groin. I am trying to eat a bit better, but about the same right now. I didn't get my fat/skinny quarter sent off in time this month due to my forgetful mind that has been busy working on a sewing project for my husband for our anniversary which is the 29th of this month. Congratulations to all that has lost weight. Also it's great for those maintaining. Not so bad at all for all here including myself who don't give up the fight. I am going to check out that pattern for the cute bowl above. I have been having continuous insomnia, and not sure why.
    "Sometimes it's OK if the only thing you did today was breathe."
    Good friends are right there with you.

Susan

Terrific Tuesday - here's some information I got from an online company - good advice:
    Eat your vegetables!" It's a command we all remember well from childhood, but few of us live by as adults. Some people just don't like vegetables. Or, at least they think they don't like vegetables because they remember the soggy, tasteless green beans their moms used to serve.

Well, veggies don't have to be soggy and tasteless. It's all a matter of preparation. So here's a neat trick: If you really just don't like the taste of vegetables, hide them in foods you do like! For Example:
    In the mood for chili? Chop up a carrot, boil for a few minutes to soften the texture, then toss in the pieces. You'll never even know you're eating veggies!
    Next time you make tuna salad, finely dice a handful of raw green beans and mix them in - you'll get the same crunch you'd get from celery, but with a much more potent nutritional punch.
    Add a handful of greens like spinach on your favorite sandwich or salad.
    Use a vegetable peeler to ribbon zucchini, carrots, and squash for a base of a salad or for the same effect as pasta. If you do 50/50 pasta and vegetables you can't tell the difference!

Sounds like something we can all do. Eat healthy and stay hydrated!
    Kathleen

Live today as if it may be your last, for who knows...

Blog Entries
    I made a stupid quilting mistake last night. I am making a yoga bag for my DIL that I really needed to finish last night as I want to send it home with my DS today. I am using soft and stable in it to give it some body.(I haven't used it much) It just didn't want to lay nice as I was putting it together so I thought just use quilt basting spray. So I sprayed it making a nice sandwich. DUH! I didn't need it sandwiched. I only needed one side attached to it. Do you know how hard it is to sew with the sticky side out on both the top and the bottom! I finally figured out that I should cover both sides with paper so it would slide thru the machine and rip it off when finished. Major cussing coming from the sewing room last night! I finished it at 11:30 PM. It came out really nice. Then I went to cut the batting for my grandsons quilt. A friend is going to longarm it for me. I need it tonight for my guild meeting it is a long drive to her house. My roll of batting is about 5 inches too short. More cussing! I gave up and went to bed. Luckily there is no chocolate in the house because I needed some.
    QM praying for good results for your family.
    My quilt guild potluck is tonight. I hope I can behave myself! A friend who works for an auctioneer called last night. He found me a Singer treadle machine. He says it is beautiful. 3 drawers on each side. I don't know why i need one. I just have always wanted one. And the price is right FREE! His boss gave it to me because I have sewn a few things for him:-) So I guess it wasn't all bad last night.

Pam H, sympathies regarding your son's co-worker. A few weeks ago a childhood neighbor/friend died suddenly at 49 of pulmonary embolism. My husband has 2 siblings that have had DVT (at least I think they were officially diagnosed as DVT). I do know they were both hospitalized and it was quite serious. I think this puts all the other siblings at about 50% higher chances of having it, also. Your Packer baby - now that is one cute baby.

I went to the gym again last night and did much more than I did on Friday. I was amazed at how much more I could do and I can't believe that I'm not sore this morning. Hopefully, that will give me motivation to stay on track with my eating today.

Here's to healthy choices today!!

While I was starting to clean the garage (I got a reason to put off the start to type this ) I got an idea. There are still 75+ boxes from my move 1 1/2+ years ago that I have to go thru. Alot will go to Goodwill. I can't get my car in the garage so it needs to be done before winter. Any way I got off the train of thought. My Idea......I have 2# to go and I hit 20# lost. 7# so far for the month of august. Anyway I think my gift to myself will be $20 fabric purchase. I know $20 won't go very far but money is tight and with Joann coupons I can possibly make it go father. Now do I buy alot of fat quarters, one multi yard purchase, or several 1-2 yd purchases? I don't really need any specific material colors right now. I could also get a speciality ruler or some patterns. No I don't need any more patterns. I have more than I can use now thanks to all the free ones online. Maybe I will save the $20 and add it to the next $20 when I get to the 40# mark. Nope....at that point I will have to buy all new clothes, pants anyway. Most of what I have will have been taken in as far as it will go. Oh boy....decisions. Back to the garage. I can't keep putting it off. I took vacation days just to get this done. It seems I need more support in getting the garage done than I do the weight loss.

My prayers go out to all that are having issues right now with family and friends. Also prayers to uplift and help support those that can't seem to get that pesky weight to go away and find someone else to bug.
    Last edited by craftygater; 08-14-2013 at 05:52 AM.

Craftygater, I have about the same amount of boxes from our move almost a year ago out in my garage. Plus furniture and all kinds of other stuff. I hate it! My DD and I plan to have a garage sale mid September. I can't imagine I can go through all that in time. I can't start on it until next week after my son leaves plus I babysit 2 or 3 days a week. Life is so busy!

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 ... LastLast