Baseball!!!!!

Old 07-25-2020, 07:06 AM

Originally Posted by Panchita View Post
I'm a 2nd generation Giants fan. Not really sure about how I feel about the 'revised' season - on the one hand, ! On the other, concern for those involved in bringing us the baseball action. I suppose I just have to trust that they'll do their best to be safe.

I did like the comment about the cut-out audience, where apparently if the ball hits your cut-out some teams will send the owner the baseball as if they caught it in the park. I love that idea!
Giants are my first choice team too, although I grew up with the Dodgers. I still like the Dodgers though. I'm not into the rivalry at all.

I thought through the facts about the revised season and I decided that I'm OK with it. They're taking a lot of precautions and testing frequently. I have noticed that the players are not always following the face mask rules in the dugout though. I think that they really should, if for no other reason than to make for a good example to all of the kids and grown-ups watching. They're big heroes in many peoples' eyes.

Love the cut-out gets the ball idea!

~ C
Old 07-25-2020, 08:11 AM
Power Poster

tropit- believe it or not I'm not upset with you! haha
I don't love the Sox but I don't dislike them. There are certain players of many teams that I follow. I love the American League in general with the exception of the Astros. I'm so mad about that whole fiasco!
I like some of the National league as well.
I also have to root for the Nats because my sweet baby granddaughter lives there
But tonight the Yankees are playing the Nats and since I'm home.........

I am from New York and we always loved the Yankees.

Mariano was one of a kind, no? He's the only player in history to make the Hall of Fame with 100% the first time. Jeter made it with 98%. One stinker held back lol.
Old 07-25-2020, 12:14 PM

Tropit - I'm not into the rivalry with the Dodgers either. Or for that matter the supposed one with the A's. Just play ball!

I agree all the players/staff should be abiding by all the rules, inc in the dugout - the mask pulled down below the chin whilst still around the ears particularly bugs me for some reason - what, you're protecting your Adam's apple?!

My favourite temporary rule (that I hope will be permanent, though I have my doubts) is the 3-batters per pitcher one - but I'm still scarred from Bochy's bullpen-roulette antics in 2016, so may be biased
Old 07-25-2020, 12:17 PM
Power Poster

My son lives in PNW and a Mariner fan. Since he can't go to the games this year, he bought a cut out of himself to sit in the stands. If it gets hit by a ball, he gets the ball.
Old 07-25-2020, 02:32 PM

I'm also a fan of both the As and the Angels. Yeah...Astros...I dunno. I'll get over it. Baseball isn't perfect. We just like to believe it is.

Panchita, are you still in North Wales? (I love that area, BTW.) I had a good friend from England that just couldn't understand why a bunch of full grown men wanted to go out on a lovely lawn, wearing their pajamas, to play a little boys game. I told her, "That's the whole point! Geesh!"

~ C
Old 07-25-2020, 06:23 PM
Power Poster

We go to Cleveland whenever they play the Yankees. Well one year a former Yankee, Nick Swisher, was playing for Cleveland and hit an amazing home run. So I got up and yelled " Yeah, Swish!".
Some grumpy fan looked at me and said " You're a Yankees fan, why are you cheering for Swisher"? (I had a Yankee tee on).
Another guy said " Oh stop, she's obviously a baseball fan"!! And he gave me a big thumbs up. It was hilarious

Then another time I was screaming for Arod to look my way before the game and of course he didn't. I told my sons and you can imagine what they thought! Ha!!!
Old 07-26-2020, 02:49 AM

Missed the first Tiger game, but caught the second game last evening. It made the evening seem like summer. Nice to hear the names, play by play, and the "roar" of the virtual crowd. Ahhh, traditions do bring us comfort and ease.
Old 07-26-2020, 05:46 AM

Tropit - I am in North Wales - we moved here about 2 years ago from England (in reality, we moved about 10 miles, lol, just across the border from one country to the next). We love it here.

My usual response to the 'grown men in pjs on the lawn playing games' is "Uh-huh. Like cricket."

WMUTeach - You're right, it is comforting to have them back
Old 07-26-2020, 06:44 AM

Originally Posted by SusieQOH View Post
We go to Cleveland whenever they play the Yankees. Well one year a former Yankee, Nick Swisher, was playing for Cleveland and hit an amazing home run. So I got up and yelled " Yeah, Swish!".
Some grumpy fan looked at me and said " You're a Yankees fan, why are you cheering for Swisher"? (I had a Yankee tee on).
Another guy said " Oh stop, she's obviously a baseball fan"!! And he gave me a big thumbs up. It was hilarious

Then another time I was screaming for Arod to look my way before the game and of course he didn't. I told my sons and you can imagine what they thought! Ha!!!
SusieQOH...you're too funny! Swisher was an A at one time, I do believe. My DIL loves, loves, loves Hunter Pence and just about fell out of the stands trying to get his attention.

"I looooooovvvvveee you Hunter!!!!!!"

Frankly, I was a little embarrassed for her. We're all thrilled that he's back with the Giants now, high pants and all.

Giants won, Red Sox lost. Today's another day. Baseball has really cheered me up.

~ C
Old 07-26-2020, 06:49 AM

Originally Posted by Panchita View Post
Tropit - I am in North Wales - we moved here about 2 years ago from England (in reality, we moved about 10 miles, lol, just across the border from one country to the next). We love it here.

My usual response to the 'grown men in pjs on the lawn playing games' is "Uh-huh. Like cricket."

WMUTeach - You're right, it is comforting to have them back
I know...I reminded her of cricket. Now, there's an outfit.

OT: I bought some beautiful woolen blankets and pillows at an old mill up in your area. What was the name of it? Gosh...it was in Welsh. I don't think I could spell it if I tried, much less pronounce it. I'll look up their website and get back to you on that. Oh, I found it right away: https://www.t-w-m.co.uk/ Everything is super, high quality and so beautiful!

~ C