Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Bathing suit for the mature woman or, Why I don't go swimming any more!! >

Bathing suit for the mature woman or, Why I don't go swimming any more!!

Bathing suit for the mature woman or, Why I don't go swimming any more!!

Old 05-20-2013, 04:03 PM

I laughed until I cried!! The days of a bikini are long gone and I can sooooo relate to this story! I'm still laughing!
Old 05-20-2013, 04:04 PM

Very funny!
Old 05-21-2013, 03:41 AM

Land's End has some great suits for every figure :-)
Old 05-21-2013, 03:51 AM

Location: Standing in front of Walmart begging for fat quarters

LOLOLOL!!! Thanks for sharing that!
Old 05-21-2013, 04:13 AM

I joined Weight Watchers last September, and have lost nearly 40 pounds. I'm within a couple pounds of the top of the healthy weight range. I thought that bathing suit shopping would be easier this year. It was not. I have a long torso and big bum, and thighs. All long torso suits are made for girls built like Gumby. I finally settled on a swim skirt and long tankini. The tankini has under-wire but not other padding or liner in that area. The tag says it's for D cup. (I'm a B+).I can't imagine getting anything more in that area. Plus, I nearly dislocated my shoulder getting the top off. Seriously, where are the suits made for grown up women. (I'm 41 years old, so not totally ready for a moo-moo . If I were better at sewing garments, I might try looking for a pattern and material, but cannot imagine sewing something as intricate as a swimsuit with under-wires and cups.
Old 05-21-2013, 04:31 AM

you're so right - tankinis are also my suit of choice, but then I go straight to my nearest JoAnns for a package of soft cups to stitch in place to show 'the girls' where to sit! Even with my recent 46 lb weight loss, bathing suits are still a bit of a challenge....now able to fit into a size 8-10 where my old 'grandma suits' ran a size 18-20, you just can't get past that feeling of anxiety when the cover-up comes off!!
Originally Posted by lynnie View Post
sooo funny. I find the tankinis work the best for me. I pick a black bottom, and any color top. it goes together pretty good, but you're right no cups in the tops
Old 05-21-2013, 06:32 AM

Lands End has a catalog if there are no stores near you - very liberal return policy too.

I wear a one piece and my "Aha!" discovery is a pair of nylon shorts over it. That way I do not have to worry about shaving "down there" where you always get the razor bumps etc. Shorts are black and go with all my suits.

Hate those high cut legs, whose idea was that? Even when you see the teeny-tiny gymnasts in the Olympics, they are always tugging on the leg openings of their uniforms to get them down to where they should be. So it's official, they don't fit ANYONE!!
Old 05-21-2013, 09:13 AM

Hilarious, thank you Ditter!
Old 05-21-2013, 01:07 PM

HILARIOUS!! I was so thrilled to stop at a new Wal-Mart and find men's swim trunks that fit on the way to my vacation last week! Now, if I could just find "trunks" to hide the bat-wings!

I bought a one-piece to wear underneath, it was tight. It worked. But, I bought some sort of top that would be "udderly" ridiculous, it would obviously flip up and expose me if I actually swam. Glad I checked that before I went to the pool.

I was seriously thrilled, have not bought a suit in 10 years! Hate the way the fitting room mirror makes me look so fat!!
Old 05-21-2013, 01:15 PM

lol Oh Ditter you're at it again. Barb