Bats???

Old 09-07-2010, 06:55 PM

bats are one of the majori causes of fires in a church steeple my dad just celebrated 60 years as a pastor so i have seen this several times one church got a lighting strick to the church steeple but the firemarshel said it was not the lighting strike that caused it was the fumes from the bat dunn [poopo] another church the ciling below the church steeple colasped guess what when the contractor got up the and no one had been in the steeple for many years it was the weight of the bat dunn both churches now have a person come and clean it everyear i got to admit that living next to the churches we verry seldom had any kind of a bug problem we would lay on the graound every night at dusk and watch the bats fly out of the steeple.
thank you for bringing up this topic it brought back some great memories of watching the bats fill the air
Old 09-07-2010, 07:13 PM
Power Poster

We have had a couple get in the house. It's really freaky. It's the only time my DD has screamed like a little girl. We opened the front door and out they went. I figured out where they were getting in and took care of it. Yuck. I really don't like them.
Old 09-07-2010, 07:15 PM

Location: Orchard Park, NY (near Buffalo, which is near Niagara Falls)

Do you think they'll cause a problem, back behind the shutters?

I know this will sound gross, but... to be honest, unless they poop a LOT, we'd probably never even see it until the time comes to take down the shutters for repainting.
Old 09-07-2010, 07:18 PM

You'll probably think I am weird but I like bats, they might be a little creepy. I definitely wouldn't want to have one as a pet or be picking one up but if I had one in my house under the eaves or in the attic I would probably be okay with it. We went last year to a local amusement park and in one of the buildings there was a little bat where we could look at it up close. They are kind of cute.
Old 09-07-2010, 07:19 PM

bat are knowen to carry rabbies so if you other animals arround beshure to keep them up on there rabbies shots also if you get a tinny bit you are not shure where it came from have your doc check to see if it is a bat bite,
i got bit by a rappid dog a few years back i hatte3d the thought of the rabbies shots but found out they no longer giver in the stomac thay are not that bad i would call animal controll in your area they would know if there has been rappid bats in your area
Old 09-07-2010, 08:47 PM

Originally Posted by Favorite Fabrics
Do you think they'll cause a problem, back behind the shutters?

I know this will sound gross, but... to be honest, unless they poop a LOT, we'd probably never even see it until the time comes to take down the shutters for repainting.
They really shouldn't be a problem at all-they don't really bother anything.
Old 09-08-2010, 12:27 PM

Originally Posted by kristen0112
You'll probably think I am weird but I like bats, they might be a little creepy. I definitely wouldn't want to have one as a pet or be picking one up but if I had one in my house under the eaves or in the attic I would probably be okay with it. We went last year to a local amusement park and in one of the buildings there was a little bat where we could look at it up close. They are kind of cute.
I don't think you're weird. Bats are one of my favorite mammals. They are unique and incredible. Contrary to popular belief they are rarely rabid. It is absolutely amazing to watch them leave the caves at Carlsbad Caverns...if you love animals and spectacular sites you should definitely put a visit there at dusk on your "bucket list." Also their guano (poop) is a great fertilizer. Made the man that explored Carlsbad Caverns very rich indeed.
Old 09-08-2010, 01:37 PM

We have bats around the house but none of them on or in the house. Well at least none that I know of! I do see some pretty big ones flying around at night though. Kind cool to watch!
Old 09-08-2010, 04:38 PM

Originally Posted by Beffy_Boo
Originally Posted by kristen0112
I don't think you're weird. Bats are one of my favorite mammals. They are unique and incredible. Contrary to popular belief they are rarely rabid. It is absolutely amazing to watch them leave the caves at Carlsbad Caverns...if you love animals and spectacular sites you should definitely put a visit there at dusk on your "bucket list." Also their guano (poop) is a great fertilizer. Made the man that explored Carlsbad Caverns very rich indeed.
I totally want to see all those bats someday! It's been on my list for years now...Some of their faces are sweet looking almost like a Chihuahua
Old 09-08-2010, 05:24 PM
Power Poster

bat bites are like mosquito bites. so small you never would notice one. so you can't tell if your pet has been bitten.