Bear trouble

Old 06-01-2018, 06:09 PM

Our cabin has been in our family for almost 50 years, and last year was the first time we had any bear activity. It knocked over the bird feeder pole. We replaced it with a much stronger T style and had no further trouble. This year, however they are around a lot. Feeders come in at night, garbage is locked in the garage, and the neighbor is very careful with his dog food. At night we put a wedge in the windows to only let them open a few inches. So far we have not had any interior invaders, but the cabin 3 doors down from ours did. They left food on a table right by an open window.
Old 06-01-2018, 06:28 PM

Yellowstone and other national parks have a big problem with wildlife and tourists who apparently think that they are in Disneyland. "These animals -- they're tame, aren't they? Like, they wouldn't let wild animals out around people, right?" There are big warnings in the handouts now -- "DO NOT ATTEMPT TO TAKE SELFIES WITH ANY ANIMAL."

That being said, the last time we were in Yellowstone at least some people had gotten the message. There was a bull elk lying in a stand of trees about 50 feet from the Old Faithful-area toilets, and people were being very, very quiet, holding children by the hand and taking pictures from a safe distance.
Old 06-01-2018, 07:22 PM

Yes, my sister worked as a horse tour guide at Yellowstone for three summers, and oh, the stories she can tell!
Old 06-01-2018, 07:38 PM

This time of year mom kicks the older cubs off. The young males are trouble nothing but. Lazy and mean. Just looking for a free meal because moms not feeding them anymore. The old sows are a meaner lot. Bad attitude. Yes they all look cute but these are dangerous fur balls. Toe nails are worse than the teeth. One came by my daughters dog lot and just slapped a dog, dozen of stitches. Be careful.
Old 06-01-2018, 07:56 PM

Distance is a very good thing with bears. A female with 2 yearling cubs were put down yesterday. They had become a big problem in a subdivision next to the college. Not a good situation & they had been around last summer/fall also.
Old 06-01-2018, 08:28 PM

Bears are a problem here, too. I live within the city limits and am regularly visited by bears. I had a torn rotator cuff - and still have problems with the shoulder, from an encounter with at bear at 7:15 in the evening. No, it didn't touch me. One of my dogs, a recent rescue, tried to attack the bear over and over. I held her, but it tore my shoulder up. The bear came toward us for a while, but finally turned and went into the woods. We were three streets in from the edge of the woods. The scary thing is that children are out playing at that time. They've been in at noon, too. Not vegetarian?? I have a huge hole in my hosta garden right now and the large hosta is gone. No squirrel did that. The black cherry tree in my side yard is a real draw in the late summer. You know when they are around. The smell is very rank, but I'm not volunteering to give one a bath in my dog's yummy almond shampoo.
Old 06-02-2018, 06:07 AM

Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
As their natural environment keeps shrinking there are bound to be confrontations.
So true - their natural environment is shrinking and it's sad
Old 06-02-2018, 06:59 AM

No, u put a halt on where developers greed causes a lot of these probs......they've taken away a lot of our everglades for their purposes......
Old 06-02-2018, 11:17 AM
mac

One of the reasons why I refuse to go camping. Even camping in a trailer seems pretty scary to me. Yikes.
Old 06-02-2018, 02:48 PM

Originally Posted by Jane Quilter View Post
Please don't think they are cute. They kill our sheep, one at a time, our calves too. Terrorize our horses and donkeys. They know every birdfeeder and trash can location. we just fixed our screened in porch & door last month because we left a dish of cat food out there. I left food smells in my kitchen and one tried to tear through the kitchen window. (I clean more completely now. (lol)) I live next to the Appalachian trail....don't think you can just scare them off with loud noises. They are dangerous creatures.
I agree. DO NOT FEED WILD ANIMALS.