behavior problem question

Old 01-08-2011, 06:53 PM

Originally Posted by mommamac
I think you were lenient - I would have taken him & his piggy bank to the store, have him find the cost of the item & buy it for his brother. If his bank didn't have enough, then I'd have him then 'work' to earn the difference.

Kids need consequences that fit their actions - like the sign in some stores: 'if you break it, you buy it!'
I totally agree with mommamac. You break it, you pay for it. If his piggy bank didn't have enough, then work off the difference.
Old 01-08-2011, 06:58 PM

At 8 yrs old he needs to learn the value of $$. The fact that he had to pay you for the toy he broke is an excellent way to teach this fact.
If the family gave you flack, when are they going to start teaching him responsibility?.... When he's 18?.... too late then...
Stick to your guns
Old 01-08-2011, 07:32 PM

Show your family all these replies.
Old 01-08-2011, 07:32 PM

sounds like the parents have trouble taking responsibility for their own child's anger and responsibility problems. what goes around comes around.
Old 01-08-2011, 07:52 PM

No, He needs to learn better, to not treat others like that, I think you handled it fairly.
Old 01-08-2011, 07:53 PM

I whole heartedly agree!!! Especially since it wasn't an accident but deliberate meanness
Originally Posted by mommamac
I think you were lenient - I would have taken him & his piggy bank to the store, have him find the cost of the item & buy it for his brother. If his bank didn't have enough, then I'd have him then 'work' to earn the difference.

Kids need consequences that fit their actions - like the sign in some stores: 'if you break it, you buy it!'
Old 01-08-2011, 09:02 PM

Originally Posted by redkimba
I think you did the right thing. The 8-year-old needs to learn that all actions have consequences, both good and bad.
I also agree....an 8 year old should already have learned that lesson...

Pardon my opinion, but it seems that he is allowed to get away with a lot more than he should by his parents. I think you and your husband did exactly what was necessary. Woe be his parents in the years to come.... and I'd bet that in the not too distant future, you will probably hear him mention this experience .... a learning experience.
Old 01-08-2011, 09:48 PM

Originally Posted by amma
At the age of 8, he knew exactly what he was doing. Teaching him that there are consequences is a good thing. Teaching him that he needs to be financially responsible for his actions is a good thing too! :D:D:D
Just my opinion here but isn't the whole purpose to give him a form of punishment & not a lesson in finance? He knew what he was doing when he broke the toy. I totally agree with amma.
If the parents had a prob., they needed a lesson themselves.
Kids are growing up with no respect for anything now.
Old 01-08-2011, 10:54 PM

8 year olds are well old enough to take responsibility for their actions. I think you course of action was more than fair and I simply cannot understand his parents finding fault with it.
Old 01-08-2011, 11:09 PM

Good for you! Discipline is just another form of love. There are rules and consequences all your life and it's good that you took a stand.