behavior problem question

Old 03-07-2011, 01:16 PM

Perfect solution (restitution). A life lesson that just might stick! :thumbup: If other people would only have the courage to discipline in love we'd have a more civil society. Point out to those who have critisized you, that you didn't beat him or even charge him what the toy actually cost, you also taught him a lesson in mercy. :thumbup:
Old 03-07-2011, 01:49 PM

Originally Posted by amma
At the age of 8, he knew exactly what he was doing. Teaching him that there are consequences is a good thing. Teaching him that he needs to be financially responsible for his actions is a good thing too! :D:D:D
Hear Hear!! Kids are so spoiled and coddled now, which is the fault of the parents AND the grandparents!! My kids were taught the value of money at a very young age...they were paid by the chores they did. If they worked hard, they earned a lot of money. If they didn't, they got none. There was a chart on the wall in the kitchen showing each chore and how much it was worth. They had free choice. All they had to do was put their name in the square for each day for each chore they selected. I verified each chore and checked it off. Friday evening was "Pay Day".

AND, if they purposely misused or in anger broke something, they had to pay for it. Accidental breakage was, of course, forgiven.

We also did NOT loan money against "future earnings".

Our kids almost all grew up to responsible, goals oriented adults.
Old 03-07-2011, 02:00 PM

[quote=feline fanatic]IMHO, parents who do not teach their children that there are consequences for their actions (bad and good) are doing their children a grave disservice and eventually releasing irresponsible adults into society who have a misguided sense of entitlement.
----------------------------
Yes....just sit back and listen to a bunch of cops and/or jail and prison guards talking about the strange ideas of their charges. Most of these cons seem to be honestly confused as to why they were arrested, they apologized to the victims, didn't they? And so why are they still in jail? They seem to have absolutely no idea of there being any consequences of their actions, Mommy and Daddy would bail them out if they got into trouble. And far too often the parents did so, until the crimes got serious enough to send them to jail.
Parents like raising kids like this are giving my oldest son and oldest daughter life time jobs in a prison and a jail!!!!
Old 03-07-2011, 03:57 PM

I love to watch Supernanny whip those parents into shape.
Old 03-07-2011, 04:01 PM

Originally Posted by DebraK
I think you made a very fair consequence for his actions. It's not like you mindlessly spanked the child or ignored his misdeed. There was a lesson attached.
Agree with this....they have to learn especially when it was done out of anger. Besides it was at your house and you should be able to set your own rules.
Old 03-07-2011, 04:07 PM

And the flack that you gave him is what is sorely lacking today in parenting skills. There are consequences for one's actions, the sooner they learn this, the better.
Old 03-07-2011, 06:04 PM

I just hope the "flak" didn't happen in the child's presence. Perhaps you should ask the ones who are complaining just how they think the situation should have been handled, but you'll have to ask it in a way that expresses curiosity rather than an accusation, or they'll just light into you again. I think a lot of times issues between adults about how a child should be disciplined are just a power struggle between the adults. They resent that you exercised this authority, even if they didn't have the gumption to do anything about the behavior themselves. Kids will pick up on this and the bad behavior will escalate if it seems that in doing so he can manipulate adults into a blow-up.
Old 03-08-2011, 11:30 AM

You are a great grand parent. Children need to be taught the meaning of responsibility for the actions. They realize what they did was wrong. If you let him get away with it he may do something worse the next time. Plus he needs to learn how to control his anger even if he is eight. Your reaction was age approiate. I'm feel bad for you that you got flack for doing the responsible thing.