Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: boisterous kitten needs help

Power Poster
    Also be careful of threads - one of mine got his toes wrapped in a thread (that was the Mr. Chew on the Thread cat).

My granddaughter spotted it and we got it unwrapped.

Blog Entries
    One very smart quilter put up a screen door by her sewing room. That way kitty can look in and be safe at the same time.

Get a spray bottle of water. It only takes a spritz or two and they will avoid.

I do that as well but use the air I clean the computer with. Doesn't hurt but when I pick it up it's amazing how invisible my cats can get!

Blog Entries
    please keep the kitten away from the machine. it's like having a baby on your lap while driving your car.
    if you have a separate room to sew, shut the door. i had to put a folding bi-fold type door on my room to keep my cat out. he got used to waiting for me outside on the sofa. kept him safer that way. one Vet bill was enough!!

Quote Originally Posted by jbrother
    when we had a cat this worked great, we used to call it the Cat Convincer.

Mine has his own quilt to lay on when I am sewing. I keep it on a small table next to me....he will paw at me when he needs attention and if I don't respond, he will bite my elbow.

Blog Entries
    We have 4 kitties. they are used to me sewing I put a kitty mat on the floor for 1 another has to have her own chair...

the other two could care less...

but when they were little. everytime they got close... it was a firm no and put back down on the floor

Try a water bottle. They don't like to be squirted at all.

Put a couple marbles or rocks in the water bottle to make a nasty noise!

My once-upon-a-time cat loved to be sprayed with water, as that was the "beginning of a chase," every time he clawed on my sofa. Finally I put some coins in a tin can and shook it. He hated that!

I have a new kitten about 9 wks old now. She is getting into everything. So I have just made a ton of toys out of kleenex box and put a toy in it, took salvage strips and tied in knots. Crumpled paper, plastic shoe box with a empty spool of thread. I figure if you are a cat owner you have to be pretty darn creative to keep these kittens occupied. It's hard. Mine also found my husbands favorite floor plant, and it's not helping it along at all. Mine is also teething, and driving me nuts. she hurts. So good luck.

Spray her in the face w a squirt of water.

Perhaps get one of those window perches and put it up or on the right side of your machine. That way she will have a place that is okay for her to be and she will still be close to you. The other recommendation would be a squirt bottle.

Quote Originally Posted by waladopa
    This is what I got for my cat, she loves it.
    Also, if it EVER breaks, Hammacher Schlemmer will replace it free of cost.

http://www.hammacher.com/Product/78489?promo=search
    I would be watching my cat play with this and never get anything done!! Just watching the video cracked me up!!

I agree with the spray from a water bottle, it has always worked for me!

My two cats that I had were taught that when I snapped at there ear & said a firm NO you do do not do that. After a short time all I had to do was put my hand in the position as if the snap was going to happen & they would back off. Once you snat the tip of the ear they shake there head as to what was that. Mine go to the point that if I showed the snap position the would bat there eyes as they backed off.

When my cat was little, he did that too. I just kept saying "NO" loudly and putting him on the floor. It took a LOT of persistance but finally he stopped. I would stop sewing if he wouldn't listen and put the cover on the machine until he went away.

The spray bottle does work, I actually got some cat mouth wash because for awhile his breath was rank...he hates the stuff and just 1 spray in his direction and he runs far away and hides.

I used the spray bottle with my cat Lizzy when she tried to scratch on the furniture or anything else she could find. It works great! Now all I have to do is just pick-up the bottle and she's gone.

I have the same problem with my cat, only with the embroidery machine! I have to shut him out of the room.

But I really like the water bottle idea and the cat toy is awesome!

Quote Originally Posted by jbrother
    I have been using the spray bottle and it is starting to work. Misty hates getting wet. Thanks for the information.She comes into the bathroom when I am in the bath but when water starts splashing out she bolts for the door and watches me from there well out of the way. It makes me laugh every time she does it. I am still saying NO! it will take a little while for her to get the message about biting. The spray bottle works too.

If the spray bottle doesn't work, you must simply keep the cat out of the sewing room. A couple of years ago, I stitched through my own finger accidentally, and I would not want to do that to one of my furbabies

Blog Entries
    I'm glad spraying with the water bottle is helping. If it doesn't work after a while, I agree with someone else who said to get her a playmate. The last time we had cats, we got a brother and sister. Never again will I get just one cat. They need each other to play with and expend energy with, especially at this young age.

I was going to suggest a squirt bottle. My daughter always uses it to train her cats. And it was the ONLY thing that worked on my beagle when he was a puppy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Annya
    I know Misty hates water. she comes into the bathroom but moves away from the bath when I wash myself off. She makes me laugh seeing her move to the doorway well out of splash range. I will get a bottle and try that as well. Thanks.

When my kitties were babies 3 at that! I also had a new baby neice and grandneice. So I was making little girl Easter dresses. This is how it went. While sewing Stealie was rubing on the head of the machine watching the needle going up and down, his brother Trouble was sitting on the warm spot created when I was ironing the dresses and the other brother Bubba was running under the fabric and playing with the tissue pattern pieces. What a fun couple of days as I was sewing and cutting on the kitchen table!!

i have 10 cats who want to help :roll: all the time i have a small spraybottle with water by my machine , now after sprayed a couple of times they just need to see the bottle and they off

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast