Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Book Readers (What books are you reading) Let's Chit Chat >

Book Readers (What books are you reading) Let's Chit Chat

Book Readers (What books are you reading) Let's Chit Chat

Old 06-15-2010, 09:46 PM

I have varied tastes in reading but lately have been into scifi/fantasy. Tend to find authors that I like and read everything they've written. Favorites include Lori Wick, Louis L'Amour, Anne McCaffrey, Mercedes Lackey, Elizabeth Ann Scarborough, Nora Roberts, Andre Norton, Marian Zimmer Bradley and quite a few other scifi/fantasy authors. I'm doing a lot more e-books, especially the ones in the Baen free library. Have discovered several authors I might not have read (David Drake, Eric Flint, etc) if my son hadn't downloaded the first few for me! As someone else mentioned, if the author writes a good story, the setting doesn't really matter...contemporary, old west, future, ancient history, who knows where or when...and if it's not well written, I just can't get into it and will put it down and find something else.
Old 06-16-2010, 04:06 AM

This is a great thread . I am hearing of so many authors that is sounds like I would like to read.
Old 06-16-2010, 04:15 AM

Originally Posted by MNQuilter
I LOVE to read. Even more than quilt! I usually have 2-3 different books going at any one time. Drives DH crazy. I've read and reread the Harry Potter series about 8 times. Also love Jan Karon's books. Like Jodi Picoult, Lisa See, Twilight Series, Water for Elephants, Secret Life of Bees, Autobiography of Santa Claus, Gone withthe Wind, The Hobbit, Lord of the Ring, Stephen King, and just about anything else I can get my paws on!
I am like you read anything pretty much but I go through period's that I read one genre or another exclusively. The only one so far that I found consistently that I don't like is romance novels.
I read all the time or use to . One time when my kids were small I was reading and my daughter said it was bad. So I stopped. Next morning I didn't bring a book to the table with me. She was happy until she caught me reading the cereal box. She very dramatically threw up her hands , sighed very loud,got off her chair, climbed the stairs very loudly, clumped back down, handed me a book and said , "Mom if you are going to read you may as well read a book, Reading the cereal box is just dumb". She was 6 at the time. LOL
Just took a trip to the library yesterday. Came home with 13 books and 2 books on CD
Old 06-16-2010, 04:45 AM
Banned

Did you realize many libraries now have a program for downloading books to a Nook that is free..also you can download audio books and transfer to your ipod or mp3 player...look into it...it is super and FREE
Old 06-16-2010, 04:49 AM

Ours does have the program . However I have neither a mp3 player or an ipod. lol I just hope they keep putting the books on tape or cd for all of us old fogies. LOL At least I don't still want them on 8 track.
Old 06-16-2010, 04:50 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by aliaslaceygreen
Originally Posted by QBeth
Originally Posted by Pam B
I am considering buying myself a Nook because when I cannot get a book at the library when I want to read it, I will often just go to the bookstore and buy it. Now I have too many books and not enough space for them.
Ditto on too many books and not enough storage space! My boyfriend, who is not a big reader, is dumbfounded by the amount of books I own. To me, they're like friends, some of which I'll revisit.

Last Christmas, he bought me the Nook. Love it! Completely forget I'm reading an e-Book. It's wonderful for when I'm flying somewhere -- no more need to pack multiple books or, if I finish one on the trip, no more buying at the airport at an exhorbitant price! The best feature is the ability to buy a new book from a favorite author when it first comes out; no more waiting for the paperback!

My favorites tend to be action thrillers from Clive Cussler and such. I also love the classics and, in fact, just downloaded one of my all time favorites to my Nook, the "Count of Monte Cristo."
I am definitely getting a Nook this Christmas. My present to me, lol. I have been turning all those rewards points from my CC into gift cards to Barnes and Noble. I should be able to get it for nothing, by the time I am done. I want to wait till version 2.0 is out in the fall, at the least. If I have enough 'points' before Xmas it may be an early Xmas gift!!!
do look into getting books you can transfer to the Nook from your library ...so far the Kindle will not work for the free books from the library but Nook and ereader will work
Old 06-16-2010, 04:54 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by shaverg
Originally Posted by Sue Fish
Originally Posted by LindaR
Originally Posted by no1jan
I have difficulty reading because of my eyes, but I love listening to audio tapes. I have a large collection plus borrow them from the library.

Currently I am listening to "Water for Elephants" by Sara Gruen.
That was such a good book....
That is one of my favorites...just loved it
Yes I can understand that...I am so active during the day around the house and doing my sewing and so on that I have really gotten hooked on the audios as I multitask in any way I can but do love to make time on a nice summer day to sit on the porch and read....I do love the audios also as I love to hear the various accents or voices that I'd not get when reading.

I loved Water for Elephants, although I like the act of reading.

I really don't enjoy books on tape unless traveling. If the time comes I can only listen to books on tape, I will. But while I can still physically read I will. It is my way to relax. I like to read outside.
Old 06-16-2010, 04:55 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by CarrieAnne
I want to try some books on tape, to listen to while mowing the lawn. Our lawn is big so its boring!
Audios are perfect for all sorts of boring jobs! lol
Old 06-16-2010, 05:01 AM

Originally Posted by mom-6
I have varied tastes in reading but lately have been into scifi/fantasy. Tend to find authors that I like and read everything they've written. Favorites include Lori Wick, Louis L'Amour, Anne McCaffrey, Mercedes Lackey, Elizabeth Ann Scarborough, Nora Roberts, Andre Norton, Marian Zimmer Bradley and quite a few other scifi/fantasy authors. I'm doing a lot more e-books, especially the ones in the Baen free library.
Ooh, another Marion Zimmer Bradley fan! I so love the Darkover series! Also love McCaffrey's Dragon books and the Crystal . Singer trilogy. Elizabeth Ann Scarborough, too.

Thanks for mentioning the Baen free library. I'll be checking that out!
Old 06-16-2010, 05:07 AM

Originally Posted by Sue Fish
Originally Posted by aliaslaceygreen
Originally Posted by QBeth
Originally Posted by Pam B
I am considering buying myself a Nook because when I cannot get a book at the library when I want to read it, I will often just go to the bookstore and buy it. Now I have too many books and not enough space for them.
Ditto on too many books and not enough storage space! My boyfriend, who is not a big reader, is dumbfounded by the amount of books I own. To me, they're like friends, some of which I'll revisit.

Last Christmas, he bought me the Nook. Love it! Completely forget I'm reading an e-Book. It's wonderful for when I'm flying somewhere -- no more need to pack multiple books or, if I finish one on the trip, no more buying at the airport at an exhorbitant price! The best feature is the ability to buy a new book from a favorite author when it first comes out; no more waiting for the paperback!

My favorites tend to be action thrillers from Clive Cussler and such. I also love the classics and, in fact, just downloaded one of my all time favorites to my Nook, the "Count of Monte Cristo."
I am definitely getting a Nook this Christmas. My present to me, lol. I have been turning all those rewards points from my CC into gift cards to Barnes and Noble. I should be able to get it for nothing, by the time I am done. I want to wait till version 2.0 is out in the fall, at the least. If I have enough 'points' before Xmas it may be an early Xmas gift!!!
do look into getting books you can transfer to the Nook from your library ...so far the Kindle will not work for the free books from the library but Nook and ereader will work
One of the reasons I decided to get the nook, lol! My library does seem to have a pretty good selection.
You might also want to look into Gutenberg.org for older books that have been converted for free....