Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Book Readers (What books are you reading) Let's Chit Chat >

Book Readers (What books are you reading) Let's Chit Chat

Book Readers (What books are you reading) Let's Chit Chat

Old 06-15-2010, 01:14 PM

Originally Posted by Pamela Artman
I just finished "Same Kind of Different As Me" by Ron Hall and Denver Moore. This is a true story about a homeless man who worked on a cotton plantation in Louisiana, an international art dealer, and the relationship that forms between them when the art dealer and his wife start working at a homeless shelter. It was very moving, to the point that I cried through two whole chapters. I do have a library card but I have so many people that I trade books with, it seems I never run out of books. Has anyone read the series by Diana Gabaldon? I've read the first 5 but I think there's 7 or 8 by now. I want to read them again and get the rest of them. They are awesome!
All are great books."Same kind of different as me" was good, and yes, moving. I read Diana Gabaldon's "Outlander" series many years ago. I couldn't put them down.
Old 06-15-2010, 01:25 PM

Originally Posted by Sue Fish
I belong to my local library and am there every week...I mostly listen to books as I never seem to have time to just sit and read and the audio books are wonderful for multitasking..makes boring jobs like ironing, treadmill, vaccuming etc seem to go faster,
Anyone read The Help? I loved it...
I just finished "The Help" I loved it too. I read it in one day.
Old 06-15-2010, 01:28 PM

I'm reading Breaking Dawn the last book in the Twilight series. Yes I am 40! I loved these books. I can't wait to see Eclipse at the end of the month. :) When I am done with this book I will be reading Circle of Quilters by Jennifer Chaverille(sp).
Old 06-15-2010, 01:35 PM

I'm reading Poker Bride:The first Chinese in the west by Christopher Corbett,. Very interesting story about the immigration of Chinese in the 1800's and the central story is around a Chinese bride that went into the mountains in the late 1800's as a bride won in a poker game. She didn't come back down the mountain until after her husband died, sometime in the early 1910's... I started it before we went on vacation last week, and need to get back to it. Imagine, coming into a world where everything you know has changed, and the world has moved on without you....
Old 06-15-2010, 01:41 PM

I love, love, love libraries, I always have, so of course, I love to read. I only buy my favorites, after reading the library's copy. Jan Karon's Mitford series is definately a favorite, pure cozy enjoyment. Enjoyed the Ya,ya sisterhood books. Patty Jane's House of Curl, was good. I wish I would have kept a list of all my reads, over the years. Too many to remember. Do any of your libraries do MP3 downloads, that you can check out? Mine doesn't, I'm curious how it works. I do love the written word, holding the real book in my hand, but, not being a fan of TV, I do also love to listen to a book while quilting.
Old 06-15-2010, 02:02 PM
Google Goddess

you are very welcome, i thought this way we might find other books that we would like to read from reading others comments

Originally Posted by sueisallaboutquilts
The library is my best friend!! :D Seriously, I love to go and have my whole life. Thanks, Craftybear, for starting this thread. I LOVE talking about books and getting new titles.
I just got 12 audiobooks. They are great for just about any activity I engage in.
I am reading and listening to several at the moment :)
Old 06-15-2010, 02:18 PM

She is my favorite non fiction writer too. I have read all of her books
Originally Posted by janRN
I love to read but you ladies are shaming me. I love trashy true crime novels, esp by Ann Rule. I guess they are my "guilty pleasure". I got hooked on Ann Rule when she wrote "The Stranger Beside Me" about Ted Bundy. She was a police officer, detective, etc., yet worked side by side with him for years while the killings were going on. Just proves you can't judge a person by his appearance. I read 3-4 books per week; get most of them from co-workers and thrift shop. Don't belong to library but did when I was in school.
Old 06-15-2010, 02:42 PM

I just finished reading "The History of White People" by Nell Irvin Painter. It was excellent- a well researched and really well written history book. Makes me look at some of my own assumptions with new eyes.

I read a lot of non-fiction. I am also working my way through Margaret Frazer's Joliffe series. I have read all of the Dame Frevisse books by her. (about a 15th century nun) Joliffe is a player (actor) in the 15th century. well researched and well written fiction.
Old 06-15-2010, 03:21 PM

Originally Posted by barnbum
Originally Posted by aliaslaceygreen
Originally Posted by barnbum
I'm looking for a long thick paged series to read, sink into, escape to this summer... historical fiction is my favorite. What would you suggest?
Diana Gabaldon. The Outlander series. As long as you can handle a bit of sex and fantasy (time travel) Each book is in the area of 700 pages and there are 7 of them at the moment...
I was going to start hers--but I don't like fantasy...
mild fantasy.... simply time travel, no other oddities....but incredibly rich in detail and historical info, the author prides herself on her research...
Old 06-15-2010, 03:24 PM

Hi craftybear,

I belong to a my local library's book group and also get books from the library (although I tend to buy most of my books, almost as bad with books as fabric :-D ) Currently I am reading a book from the Library of American Series: Slave Narratives. It's very good reading. After that, I might tackle Steven King's The Dome. It's a big book, but I think it would be fun to read over the summer.