Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Book Readers (What books are you reading) Let's Chit Chat >

Book Readers (What books are you reading) Let's Chit Chat

Book Readers (What books are you reading) Let's Chit Chat

Old 06-15-2010, 08:02 AM

almost finished with the Percy Jackson series/Riordan (the one the movie is made after--juvenile fiction)really fun reading and keeps me up to date with my students. The Hunger games series has a dark side seriously not for the below 14 yrs. Adult wise- Sarah's Key -WWII French involvement based on true events - good read keep tissues handy.
Old 06-15-2010, 08:03 AM

I usually stick with James Patterson or Mary Higgins Clark. But recently read a Tami Hoag, what a scary book! My daughter likes her so I ordered it and read it, mailed it off to her yesterday. I think the name was Deeper Than Dead? Bad huh, can't remember the name but sure remember the story. Also like Catherine Coulter, her husband/wife FBI stories are very good I think. And then there is Janet Evanovich, love her cool, funny stories. I have bunches of them, sent one of them to my DD also. Looking forward to a lot of reading over the summer now that school is out.
Old 06-15-2010, 08:03 AM

I just can't get into novels (I had a terrible time in English classes when we had to read Silas Marner, The Yearling, etc. Great books but really a struggle for me).
So I read non-fiction only.
History and/or pre-1950 Hollywood bios are my faves.
Right now I'm reading Ted Kennedy's autobiography and one about FDR.
I also have a couple Lincoln books waiting, and one about Joan Blondell.
I usually have at least 2 books going at once.
Old 06-15-2010, 08:11 AM

BTW I do belong to our library, which is a wonderful new building, but don't get there often. We also exchange books at class, have two big file drawers full of them. When we are done with them, I box them up and take them to our local Veteran's home.
Old 06-15-2010, 08:21 AM

Originally Posted by Pam B
I am considering buying myself a Nook because when I cannot get a book at the library when I want to read it, I will often just go to the bookstore and buy it. Now I have too many books and not enough space for them.
Ditto on too many books and not enough storage space! My boyfriend, who is not a big reader, is dumbfounded by the amount of books I own. To me, they're like friends, some of which I'll revisit.

Last Christmas, he bought me the Nook. Love it! Completely forget I'm reading an e-Book. It's wonderful for when I'm flying somewhere -- no more need to pack multiple books or, if I finish one on the trip, no more buying at the airport at an exhorbitant price! The best feature is the ability to buy a new book from a favorite author when it first comes out; no more waiting for the paperback!

My favorites tend to be action thrillers from Clive Cussler and such. I also love the classics and, in fact, just downloaded one of my all time favorites to my Nook, the "Count of Monte Cristo."
Old 06-15-2010, 08:32 AM

Originally Posted by QBeth
Originally Posted by Pam B
I am considering buying myself a Nook because when I cannot get a book at the library when I want to read it, I will often just go to the bookstore and buy it. Now I have too many books and not enough space for them.
Ditto on too many books and not enough storage space! My boyfriend, who is not a big reader, is dumbfounded by the amount of books I own. To me, they're like friends, some of which I'll revisit.

Last Christmas, he bought me the Nook. Love it! Completely forget I'm reading an e-Book. It's wonderful for when I'm flying somewhere -- no more need to pack multiple books or, if I finish one on the trip, no more buying at the airport at an exhorbitant price! The best feature is the ability to buy a new book from a favorite author when it first comes out; no more waiting for the paperback!

My favorites tend to be action thrillers from Clive Cussler and such. I also love the classics and, in fact, just downloaded one of my all time favorites to my Nook, the "Count of Monte Cristo."
I am definitely getting a Nook this Christmas. My present to me, lol. I have been turning all those rewards points from my CC into gift cards to Barnes and Noble. I should be able to get it for nothing, by the time I am done. I want to wait till version 2.0 is out in the fall, at the least. If I have enough 'points' before Xmas it may be an early Xmas gift!!!
Old 06-15-2010, 08:38 AM

I love to read! I am reading the Undead series! I just go online, and reserve the next book, and then in comes in from another library! I just love that, it's makes it so much easier to find the book you are looking for. :)

I also love to read horse books and magazines in my free time.
Old 06-15-2010, 08:46 AM

Location: From WI then Denver then Houston and now Hainesville, IL

I CAN'T beleive Not ONE OF You Quilters has mentioned any of the quilt novels!!! :shock:
Earlene Fowler is the WORLD's best! Her Benni Harper character is awesome!!Started with couple of her used books, and just bought the last two I was missing! Addicting!!

Clare O'Donohue has three quilting books that are great, and don't forget Terri Thayer's three books which I just started!
Then there is the series by the author EVERYONE knows, Jennifer Chiaverini!

If you haven't picked up one of Earlene Fowler's books, you need to do so now!! :D
Old 06-15-2010, 08:50 AM

I'm looking for a long thick paged series to read, sink into, escape to this summer... historical fiction is my favorite. What would you suggest?
Old 06-15-2010, 08:54 AM

I spend a half-hour on a BART train going to and from work every day, so I get a lot of reading done. I also love to listen to books while I knit or quilt.

Left to my own devices, I tend to find an author and then work my way through their entire collection [I'm fortunate enough to have five different library systems within easy access]. My book group reads a much wider range, so I do get some variety.

(* = the books with the best "readers"; # = a special favorite author)

My favorite mystery/detective authors are PD James#, Elizabeth George#, JD Robb*, Donna Leon*, Janet Evanovich, Nevada Barr, Martha Grimes (except the last few), Jeffery Deaver, Dick Francis, etc., etc.

I love anything by Alexander McCall Smith*#. [The woman who reads the "No. 1 Detective Agency" series is especially wonderful!]

Other recent and/or favorite books have included:
-- Any of several by Jodi Picoult, Amy Tan, Barbara Kingsolver
-- "A Prayer for Owen Meany"## and "The World According to Garp"# by John Irving
-- "The Time Traveler's Wife"# by Audrey Niffenegger
-- "Small Island"# by Andrea Levy
-- "Olive Kitteridge" by Elizabeth Stout
-- "In Cold Blood" by Truman Capote
-- "Everything Is Illuminated"# by Jonathan Safran Foer [watch the movie first and then read it, so you can hear their voices in your head]
-- "Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close"# by Jonathan Safran Foer
-- "People of the Book" by Geraldine Brooks
-- "Pride and Prejudice" by Jane Austin [so much better when read as an adult!] Extra treat: Read it in conjunction with Pamela Aidan's "Fitzwilliam Darcy, Gentleman" series to get both sides of the story.
-- "The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society" by Mary Ann Shaffer and Annie Barrows#
-- Philip Pullman's "His Dark Materials" series
-- the "Eregon" series by Christopher Paolini
-- "And the Ladies of the Club" by Helen Hooven Santmyer#
-- "The Green Mile" by Stephen King [I actually like most of his stories. Just don't listen to one while taking a road trip -- you'll never stop!]
-- "The Lord of the Rings" by JRR Tolkein [I re-read this every decade or so, just to remind myself how good it is.]

I also love a good science fiction story (with the emphasis on "story"). Some of my favorites are David Brinn's "Uplift War" series, James White's "Sector General" series, Ursula LeGuin, Margaret Atwood, Theodore Sturgeon, etc.

And I'm a sucker for a good kid's book -- Lemony Snickett and his orphans, the Narnia series, the Borrowers, etc. etc.

There just aren't enough hours in the day to read all the books I want to read, to make all the quilts I want to make (or have fabric for!), or to knit all the things I want to knit.... I'll just have to live longer, I guess! :lol: