Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Bottled Water - Do you drink it? >

Bottled Water - Do you drink it?

Bottled Water - Do you drink it?

Old 08-01-2010, 09:41 AM

Our tap water is not fit to drink! :thumbdown: Ugh! We have Oarka delivered to the house ever 2 weeks in the 5 gal bottles that sit on a dispenser. I drink 1 huge bottle every 6 days by myself. :wink: It is great for my kidney issues. I take water with me every place I go. If I had to drink from the tap, I would not drink a drop. It may sound expensive, but it is cheaper than Dr bills and meds. And I feel good too. :D
Old 08-01-2010, 11:00 AM

Thanks, watterstide, for the link to the article, but it says the same things most similar articles say and neglects to state these facts:

1. Bottled tap water is good tap water. For those of us who don't have good tap water, it's worth the cost.

2. The study that checked for health issues in tap water only checked for bacteria, e. coli. It didn't even mention other health problems. Face it, chlorine is not good to be ingesting day in and day out. And then there are trace metals that can be poisonous, and environmental wastes that don't get cleaned out (remember Erin Brockovich?), etc.

3. For those who buy bottled water as an alternative to sodapop or other sugary drinks or energy drinks, it's a good choice.

4. Articles like this constantly talk about most bottled water being tap water, but some of it is specifically from pure sources, like mountain springs. And then there's distilled water, which is pure enough to be used medically.

5. Quality among bottles varies, too. The smaller ones are cutting back on the thickness of their plastic to be more environmentally friendly. Even when we're not drinking from bottles, we often drink out of plastic cups.

For the person who mentioned bottled water not having fluoride in it, check the babies aisle of the supermarket or drugstore. There are special brands that contain fluoride.

Not that I'm advocating fluoridated or even bottled water. If you have good tap or well water, that's really the thing to use, IMO. But if you don't, then it's important to filter it or use bottled.
Old 08-01-2010, 11:46 AM

yes, thanks. and i would drink more water if it was in a bottle too. i just can't wrap my head around the price.

we are lucky tap water here is good and no after -taste.

and i don't worry about the plastic bottles, and what they say they are leeching into me..we have all lived this long with plastic and tupperware.

i DO worry about them in the landfills.as i do with all of our waste.

as a woman in her 50's, i pee enough for 2 or 3 people.no matter where the water came from, it would be like that!

i think i need another bladder suspension!
Old 08-01-2010, 01:14 PM

1. Do you buy bottled water? If yes, why? NO

a. our tap water is decent, but bottled tastes even better
b. our tap water is safe to drink, but it tastes terrible
c. our tap water isn't safe to drink
d. convenient to have water bottles when on the go
e. alternative to other bottled beverages (sodapop, juice, etc.)
f. to look stylish, cool, trendy
g. love the idea of water that comes from a mountain spring, glacier, Fiji, etc.
h. other (please explain)

If you usually drink tap water, why?
A and B primarily. C and D to a much lesser extent.
a. tastes perfectly fine
b. costs less
c. don't want to harm the environment with all those plastic bottles
d. don't want health problems from all those plastic bottles
e. other (please explain)

2.Do you buy the size you can carry with you, the gallon jugs, the big tanks that go on a dispenser, or some combination?
I do carry reusable/dishwasher safe CamelBak bottles with me when I am on the go. I just cannot see paying someone $2-5/per day for water. Yes, the bottles are not cheap but they last forever. Plus, if you are not too picky about the color, they can be found on sale.

3. If your tap water tastes bad, what does it taste like? N/A
a. chlorine
b. fish
c. algae
d. cement
e. metallic
f. chemical
g. dirty
h. other (please explain)

4. Does your tap water have a texture, like oily, slimy? NO

5. If you drink bottled, would you switch back to tap if it tasted good? Why or why not? N/A

Now, as much as I think people are throwing away money in many instances by buying bottles water (I know there are a few legitimate reasons), I wonder why people do not keep at least a case or two of bottled water in their homes for emergencies. I have lived in too many places where the utilities including water supply has been compromised for an extended period of time. And I am pretty darn convinced, it does not matter where you live, it can happen. Why not be prepared??
Old 08-01-2010, 01:46 PM

We have a well with VERY hard water, so we have a water softener. This makes for super water for washing, but not for drinking. We are left with a very salty aftertaste. We do use it for cooking. We have a 5 gallon water dispenser, which we get our refils from our local grocery store. They have a reverse osmosis dispenser, which I am guessing starts by using local tap water. So...does that mean we drink tap water "by osmosis"? LOL We do use water bottles to take with us when we go out. We have the kind made from heavier plastic that can be reused again and again...and we fill them from our dispenser.

Patti
Old 08-01-2010, 01:49 PM

I drink our city water. It comes out of a lake nearby. I used to dring bottled water, but became concerned that even though I recycled the bottles, many do not. I did not want to contribute to the production of the plastic bottles anymore, so I bought a stainless steel water bottle and use it at work. If I am out and about, I will get water or soda in a bottle or can, but I keep the empties and recycle them.
Old 08-01-2010, 02:16 PM

Bottled water only - think about where the other water came from ----Bad very bad
Old 08-01-2010, 02:45 PM

1. Do you buy bottled water? If yes, why? d.

If you usually drink tap water, why? NA but I do drink filtered tap water at home.

2.Do you buy the size you can carry with you, the gallon jugs, the big tanks that go on a dispenser, or some combination? Size I can carry with me.

3. If your tap water tastes bad, what does it taste like? a.

4. Does your tap water have a texture, like oily, slimy? No

5. If you drink bottled, would you switch back to tap if it tasted good? Why or why not? I drink both but bottled for convenience when needed.
Old 08-01-2010, 03:15 PM

Originally Posted by Jeanniejo
I don't drink water. I'm a pepsihaulic :lol:
me too! our well has a higher than allowed concentration of arsnic (2 parts per million high) so we tend to use a lot of bottled water for drinking & cooking.

none of the affordable filters clear heavy metals.. it has to be a reverse osmosis filter, and they run a lot of $$

someday, when we have the structural stuff all done... it's on the list!
Old 08-01-2010, 03:22 PM

Originally Posted by ladyshuffler
Bottled water only - think about where the other water came from ----Bad very bad
Could you please elaborate.

http://abcnews.go.com/2020/Health/st...=728070&page=1
This is an easy to read article from ABC that clearly states that several bottled water companies use tap water.