Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
bought my 1 st wireless device >

bought my 1 st wireless device

bought my 1 st wireless device

Old 08-04-2012, 10:41 AM
Power Poster

We have wi fi all over the house. When you get a new router get a router extension. It plugs in an outlet and makes the signal strong in the part of the house the router is not close to. Most of our toys are wirless. TV, laptops, phones, Kindles, Itouch, Roku. All of our wireless items connect automatically to the network. Older electronics may need technical support to get connected. Our wireless is not necessary, just a convenience, and fun so it if there is a major black out we won't suffer other then boredom. LOL
Old 08-04-2012, 10:55 AM

Hang in there - you'll get it. After working on a pc for many years, I swore I would never have one in my house. Well the gchildren got one and in order to play games and talk to gma I had to get one too. A desktop (lol). When I retired they asked what I would like for my retirement gift. I requested one of their used laptops. I now have 3 laptops (4 if you count the one I increased the RAM on and burnt out the motherboard). All are on wireless and used for different purposes.
Old 08-04-2012, 12:01 PM

Find yourself a teenager...they can help you. My nephews update things and show me secret tricks every time I see them!
Old 08-04-2012, 02:56 PM

Please stick with it....it will change your life. It sounds extreme, but once you use it, you keep thinking of other ways to use it. I got one for Christmas and boy oh boy am I hooked. I don't use it for social networking - not into twitter or facebook but the ability to go on line anywhere in the house for infos and demos is priceless......I use is for ereading, quilting mags, books, utube video how tos....everything.....give it a try, you will not be sorry.....
Old 08-04-2012, 04:06 PM

My son set up wireless for me so I could use the laptop he loaned me in the living room, to watch Netflix, etc. Then I bought a Roku for Netflix. I started wanting a Nook Color so I could get books from the library and discovered online that there's a special card, an N2A, you can get for it that turns it into an android tablet.....and can get Kindle books on it too then. I thought I'd download the Nook for PC first and test the library book thing but haven't done it yet. From the reviews I read, the Nook seemed better for reading books on, but if I do the card thing, I'll use it for more than that. I've been holding back doing it but you all sound encouraging!
Old 11-10-2012, 12:16 PM

I just got one for my birthday(Nov 4) and got the router , is hooked up, bus a still having a time , like can't get the keyboard up to log in somewhere, and thought I could play a tv show or a movie, well not happening. oh I have hulu and netflix, but not able to get inot them, huluplus always c. omes up, I am not giving up, going to have this thing to work, hey would be great to watch the movies or tv show while I am sewing in another room!!
Old 11-11-2012, 03:55 AM

Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
We have added an Ipad to our family and it is super. I am currently typing on it in my recliner in the living room. I still can't post pictures from it though because I don't have photobucket.
You can uplad pots directly from Iad and Iphone. No need fr Photobucket uness you want to share our photos...published on their site.

Sandy
Old 11-11-2012, 07:03 AM

Normally wireless is great. I have my laptops, my cell phone and my Nook color all are wireless. This being said one complaint I hear all the time is that with iPads, Nooks and Kindles, etc if you are accessing some wireless places like here at the hospital where i work; you can see the wireless network but not connect to the internet. That's because like here our proxy settings are on the side of the firewall that these devices can't access because these devices won't allow you to adjust your settings like a laptop can. I would still not quit using a wireless because for the most part and most of the times you can use the wireless. My son will go to McDonalds' etc where they have free wireless and it works great. You just got a bad device
Old 11-14-2012, 04:34 PM

I have returned the 1st device and later got a 5 inch Samsung player.I am loving it now.after the new year I may get a 10 inch tablet.
Old 11-14-2012, 04:55 PM

I have wireless too - last weekend our router went belly up - my husband and I felt like two toddlers left alone in the house for the weekend - but we did it - we figured out how to get the new router up and running and things are working great - I can use my laptop and my nook anywhere in the house and I got my printer hooked up wireless - so we are very happy with our wireless router - good luck.