boy was i ever ripped off!

Old 07-09-2010, 05:09 AM

Originally Posted by quiltin mimi
Please don't blame yourself for being a victim! That's how the bad guys get away with so much and so often. Especially as women we always look at the ways that we could blame ourselves instead of blaming the person who did it to you. (Can you tell that in my real life I work with victims/survivors?) Whether you watched them cut or not, whether you pushed back or not, none of what happened to you should have happened to you.

Originally Posted by ckcowl
Originally Posted by noahscats7
Why after ur 1st 2 visits did you not pay attention as the fabric was being cut and ur purchase rang up? Cheat me once, shame on you. Cheat me twice, shame on me.
the visits were over a year apart and i had forgotten how bad it was, was looking forward to the sale...was caught up in the moment. i know i should have been pushy but i wasn't i was kind of 'herded' out of the way where the fabric was being cut (a temp table set up in the way of lots of fabric and i let myself be moved and just went to look at other things, i know that the incorrect cut is my own fault for not just being a B***** and pushing back when i was in the way...but that does not excuse them ringing up stuff that was not even on the paper, and i will never go back so will not have to worry about it again.
i accept my shame for allowing myself to be taken advantage of more than once in the same store...i have always tried to forgive and forget and move on almost always willing to give another chance. now there will be no more chances, but i am not going to allow this incident to turn me into those rude pushy people who treat those around them poorly for their own benifit
No it should not have happened but we are also responsible for what happens to us. We need to be responsible and help them to do the right thing by being there and making sure they understand what we want and how we want it done. When a store is busy it is easy for mistakes to happen so if we are there the odds are better that between the 2 of us things will turn our as they should, correctly. You don't know if they are feeling well, got plenty of sleep, are worried about a test at school, babies that won't sleep through the night and many other things. So take the responsibility and make sure you get what you want and how you want it. Check your receipt when you get it and check it and let them know if a mistake is made as soon as possible. It is sad that we have to do that but it is how it is today.
Old 07-09-2010, 11:35 AM

And after you talk to the owner, if he/she calls that is, get hold of the Better Business Bureau in that area and report your experiences.
Old 07-09-2010, 01:10 PM

Take everything back and ask for a refund. If they balk at that, then demand it. There is a MI law that if a merchant overcharges, they are to pay you a certain % of their mistake. Look up the law, take a copy with you and the number for the BBB. Show it to them.
Old 07-09-2010, 01:47 PM
QKO

Originally Posted by gaigai
Originally Posted by QKO
I don't know of any fabrics that are put up in 20 yard bolts for stores. We get 10's and 15's (which is the most prevelant), and some companies, like Quilting Treasures, put up 12's.

But I've never heard of 20 yard bolts, except for some battings, like Insulbrite..

About 10 years ago fabric did come as 20 yard bolts ( I used to buy plenty). But they downsized just like everything is (look a cereal and ice cream!) and now it's either 12 or 15 yards (mostly the former).
OK, we've only been in the business about 4 years, so that explains my confusion with the 20 yard bolts.

Almost all our suppliers put up bolts in 15's now and some in 10's if you buy the entire collection.

I wish more of our stuff would come in 12's, it requires a lot less shelf space for more variety. The only one of our suppliers who does 12's is QT.

OTOH, there are lots of suppliers we don't carry. :mrgreen:
Old 07-09-2010, 01:56 PM
QKO

Originally Posted by Favorite Fabrics
Originally Posted by QKO
Had a similar experience.
wanted the whole bolt,clerk said"this just came in this morning nothing cut off this bolt so it is the full 20 yds"
"So I won't bother taking it all off the bolt and rewrapping."
no problem paid for the 20yds and left
well get home and start unrolling and cutting only to find that there are only 12 yds on the bolt!
Owners response" how do we know you didn't cut some off?"
lost my business!
some of the LQS should close!
O

I don't know of any fabrics that are put up in 20 yard bolts for stores. We get 10's and 15's (which is the most prevalent), and some companies, like Quilting Treasures, put up 12's.

But I've never heard of 20 yard bolts, except for some battings, like Insulbrite..
Robert Kaufman does some Kona Cottons on 20-yard put-ups.

We actually weigh every bolt coming through the door. That helps us to catch the times when a bolt is short (or long). If the weight seems off, we count the wraps... and if that still is off, then we unroll and measure it. After a while, you can almost tell just by lifting the bolt, if something is amiss.

If you're ever going to buy a full bolt at a store, and you don't want to wait for it to be all unrolled, measured, and re-rolled, at least you should count the wraps. Two wraps = one yard (approximately).
We don't carry Kaufmann, so are obviously speaking just from my own experience, with the suppliers we have.

I've been fooled counting wraps too though. When you get down toward the end of the bolt, it takes more than 2 wraps to make a yard. Additionally, some bolt cores are larger than others, and fabric varies considerably in thickness. The only real way to be sure is to take it off the bolt and measure it, I think. :shock:
Old 07-09-2010, 04:02 PM

I would not patronize the store anymore and I would also contact the Better business Bureau. Mistakes happen, but when they won't fix them that is wrong wrong wrong. I would do my business online. There are some amazing shops that bend over backwards for their customers, as well they should.
Old 07-10-2010, 04:33 AM

I have to respectfully disagree that we are responsible for what happens to us.

Originally Posted by MI Applique Queen
Originally Posted by quiltin mimi
Please don't blame yourself for being a victim! That's how the bad guys get away with so much and so often. Especially as women we always look at the ways that we could blame ourselves instead of blaming the person who did it to you. (Can you tell that in my real life I work with victims/survivors?) Whether you watched them cut or not, whether you pushed back or not, none of what happened to you should have happened to you.

Originally Posted by ckcowl
Originally Posted by noahscats7
Why after ur 1st 2 visits did you not pay attention as the fabric was being cut and ur purchase rang up? Cheat me once, shame on you. Cheat me twice, shame on me.
the visits were over a year apart and i had forgotten how bad it was, was looking forward to the sale...was caught up in the moment. i know i should have been pushy but i wasn't i was kind of 'herded' out of the way where the fabric was being cut (a temp table set up in the way of lots of fabric and i let myself be moved and just went to look at other things, i know that the incorrect cut is my own fault for not just being a B***** and pushing back when i was in the way...but that does not excuse them ringing up stuff that was not even on the paper, and i will never go back so will not have to worry about it again.
i accept my shame for allowing myself to be taken advantage of more than once in the same store...i have always tried to forgive and forget and move on almost always willing to give another chance. now there will be no more chances, but i am not going to allow this incident to turn me into those rude pushy people who treat those around them poorly for their own benifit
No it should not have happened but we are also responsible for what happens to us. We need to be responsible and help them to do the right thing by being there and making sure they understand what we want and how we want it done. When a store is busy it is easy for mistakes to happen so if we are there the odds are better that between the 2 of us things will turn our as they should, correctly. You don't know if they are feeling well, got plenty of sleep, are worried about a test at school, babies that won't sleep through the night and many other things. So take the responsibility and make sure you get what you want and how you want it. Check your receipt when you get it and check it and let them know if a mistake is made as soon as possible. It is sad that we have to do that but it is how it is today.
Old 07-10-2010, 06:38 AM

That's okay. I'm talking about purchasing things in a store setting. Not all things. If we pay attention it will be better all the way around.

However, there is no excuse for the behavior of the store owner. That response belongs to her and her alone. She is not a nice person. Even if the customer is rude, she should step above that as a professional and handle it respectfully. In this case it is a very nice person so she can't even use the excuse that she was defending herself from a very rude and nasty person.

I deal with parents on a professional level and they can get upset when it comes to their kids. I have been yelled at and sworn at twice in 16 years but I did not do it back. I kept my patience and was respectful. And believe me with someone in your face it is hard. It is easier to fix something that is broken than to try to fix something that is destroyed. When you take respect and kindness out of a business relationship you usually lose that persons business and many more. It's hard not to like someone who is kind and respectful. Just look at the success of conartist. lol They are usually referred to as kind and respectful.
Old 07-10-2010, 11:00 AM

You couldn't be more correct!!!!!

Originally Posted by MI Applique Queen
That's okay. I'm talking about purchasing things in a store setting. Not all things. If we pay attention it will be better all the way around.

However, there is no excuse for the behavior of the store owner. That response belongs to her and her alone. She is not a nice person. Even if the customer is rude, she should step above that as a professional and handle it respectfully. In this case it is a very nice person so she can't even use the excuse that she was defending herself from a very rude and nasty person.

I deal with parents on a professional level and they can get upset when it comes to their kids. I have been yelled at and sworn at twice in 16 years but I did not do it back. I kept my patience and was respectful. And believe me with someone in your face it is hard. It is easier to fix something that is broken than to try to fix something that is destroyed. When you take respect and kindness out of a business relationship you usually lose that persons business and many more. It's hard not to like someone who is kind and respectful. Just look at the success of conartist. lol They are usually referred to as kind and respectful.
Old 07-10-2010, 02:31 PM

Maybe because there aren't many other quilt stores to shop at, they have forgotten that the customer is always right. If a mistake is made, it should be remedied in the customer's favor every time. If you go the fabshophop.com on line you can find a list of over 150 quilt store online. I have done business with some and have only had good experiences. I have done the online shop hop and won $10 gift certificates twice.