boy was i ever ripped off!

Old 07-08-2010, 01:34 PM

It is just plain wrong the way you were treated when you called to question. I do watch when I visit a LQS for the aforementioned reasons...we get to talking, other customers interrupt, etc. Nobody is perfect and mistakes do happen. I left once and got to thinking that I had not been charged enough! I pulled over...looked through my purchases and, sure enough, the little gal had not charged me for something. So, I just pulled out my cell phone and called her to tell her that she had undercharged me (and it was about a $30 mistake). She was very appreciative of my honesty and they just noted my account and I took care of it the next time I was in there. Honesty works both ways and, for the most part, most quilters and LQS people are very honest.
Old 07-08-2010, 01:47 PM

Location: Orchard Park, NY (near Buffalo, which is near Niagara Falls)

Originally Posted by QKO
Had a similar experience.
wanted the whole bolt,clerk said"this just came in this morning nothing cut off this bolt so it is the full 20 yds"
"So I won't bother taking it all off the bolt and rewrapping."
no problem paid for the 20yds and left
well get home and start unrolling and cutting only to find that there are only 12 yds on the bolt!
Owners response" how do we know you didn't cut some off?"
lost my business!
some of the LQS should close!

I don't know of any fabrics that are put up in 20 yard bolts for stores. We get 10's and 15's (which is the most prevelant), and some companies, like Quilting Treasures, put up 12's.

But I've never heard of 20 yard bolts, except for some battings, like Insulbrite..
Robert Kaufman does some Kona Cottons on 20-yard put-ups.

We actually weigh every bolt coming through the door. That helps us to catch the times when a bolt is short (or long). If the weight seems off, we count the wraps... and if that still is off, then we unroll and measure it. After a while, you can almost tell just by lifting the bolt, if something is amiss.

If you're ever going to buy a full bolt at a store, and you don't want to wait for it to be all unrolled, measured, and re-rolled, at least you should count the wraps. Two wraps = one yard (approximately).
Old 07-08-2010, 01:54 PM

You should always have your fabric measured no matter what an "unopened" bolt says. Bad practice on the part of the sales person.
Old 07-08-2010, 02:05 PM

Location: Orchard Park, NY (near Buffalo, which is near Niagara Falls)

Originally Posted by ckcowl
so, i 'heard' from the owner of the shop, sort of...she sent me an email saying...
"received your messages about our weekend sale, I will look at our records to see if your claim can be verified and get back to you"
so, how do you figure she's going to verify that i was given 1 yard of fabric instead of 2? or that i was charged for 3 fabrics but only purchased 2?
Depending on how detailed her inventory records are, she might be able to pull the bolts in question and check her sales records to see if she has one more yard on the bolt than what she should have.

Problem is... if she's been generous, not skimpy, with the cuts, and the bolt is already halfway gone, it's more likely that she will come up short, even if there IS your yard of fabric still on the bolt. In our shop, we're always coming up short. Pretty much every bolt we have, by the end of the bolt, we're .75 yard short (probably due to straightening the first cut, and giving an extra inch on each cut we make).

None of this, of course, excuses the way she handled it; she could have done better, even in her choice of wording in her e-mail response. But to try in all cases - even this one - to give the benefit of the doubt... it could be that she feels a need to try to figure out how this went wrong, and if there's anything, procedurally, that she can change to avoid the problem in the future. It's always uncomfortable when somebody tells you that you've made a mistake or done something wrong; perhaps she needs to take just a little time to figure out how to properly respond and resolve your claim. It sounds like she's really not a "people person"... in which case it's probably better that she takes a bit of time to calmly think it all through!
Old 07-08-2010, 02:06 PM

i know i should have been pushy
. Pushy is an interesting word. I would say 'assertive'.
, i know that the incorrect cut is my own fault for not just being a B***** and pushing back when i was in the way...
.......... whoa! I am starting to worry now. Can you not see a space between standing up for yourself and being something that has asterisks in it?!!!!! Who is telling you you are 'in the way'. ? Yourself, maybe?
i am not going to allow this incident to turn me into those rude pushy people who treat those around them poorly for their own benifit
. Ok now I have to say STOP. Read what you just wrote. It really sounds like you are all muddled up. Forget about the fabric- your issue seems to be that you think standing up for yourself is rude and that forgiving and forgetting is the morally superior option. Well, I disagree in this case.
Old 07-08-2010, 02:36 PM
Power Poster

no, i dont believe that standing up for yourself is rude or pushy...i think people who walk up when you are waiting patiently for your fabric to be cut and say to you...could you PLEASE get out of the way we ARE trying to shop here and you obviously have found your purchases are the rude people...i was 'pushed' out of the way, but i was also in a good mood, first 4th of july weekend i haven't had to work in 15 years...i simply walked away and looked at 'stuff' while my fabric was being cut...i certainly could have 'stood up for myself' and caused quite a scene had i wanted to. but as far as im concerned this is all over now anyway...ya know i came here to 'vent' because i thought that was an ok thing to do once in awhile ( i don't have the need too often) and some people offered me some good advice on handling it, or just dropping it. i thought i should bring it to the owners attention...i work hard for my money and this really did cause distress, now i still need fabric and the money is gone...but it is being resolved and is all over
Old 07-08-2010, 02:52 PM

Originally Posted by noahscats7
Why after ur 1st 2 visits did you not pay attention as the fabric was being cut and ur purchase rang up? Cheat me once, shame on you. Cheat me twice, shame on me.
the visits were over a year apart and i had forgotten how bad it was, was looking forward to the sale...was caught up in the moment. i know i should have been pushy but i wasn't i was kind of 'herded' out of the way where the fabric was being cut (a temp table set up in the way of lots of fabric and i let myself be moved and just went to look at other things, i know that the incorrect cut is my own fault for not just being a B***** and pushing back when i was in the way...but that does not excuse them ringing up stuff that was not even on the paper, and i will never go back so will not have to worry about it again.
i accept my shame for allowing myself to be taken advantage of more than once in the same store...i have always tried to forgive and forget and move on almost always willing to give another chance. now there will be no more chances, but i am not going to allow this incident to turn me into those rude pushy people who treat those around them poorly for their own benifit
Hey, don't let ANYONE make you feel ashamed. It would have been far different if you had stood there and watched them cheat you and willingly paid them knowing you were being cheated. Things happen and we get distracted-it's good that now you are taking action and you should handle this however you feel you should. We are all good about telling how we would do it, but you do what you can live with. AND DON'T FEEL ASHAMED!!!
Old 07-08-2010, 03:10 PM

So sorry you have had this horrible experience. My advice to other quilters that may know where this store is located is not to ever go there as this is the way you will be treated.
Old 07-08-2010, 03:38 PM

I worked in customer services 25 yeards and Oldhay is right. Write a letter address it to the owner send it register mail. On the letter note that you have sent a copy to BBB. Make sure you mail a copy to BBB. Go into detail as you did with us. Then wait and see what will happen. Do not go there and confront them. Give them a chance to contact you. If they do not the BBB will step in. I am sorry that you were treated so rudely.
Old 07-09-2010, 01:50 AM

Please don't blame yourself for being a victim! That's how the bad guys get away with so much and so often. Especially as women we always look at the ways that we could blame ourselves instead of blaming the person who did it to you. (Can you tell that in my real life I work with victims/survivors?) Whether you watched them cut or not, whether you pushed back or not, none of what happened to you should have happened to you.

Originally Posted by noahscats7
Why after ur 1st 2 visits did you not pay attention as the fabric was being cut and ur purchase rang up? Cheat me once, shame on you. Cheat me twice, shame on me.
the visits were over a year apart and i had forgotten how bad it was, was looking forward to the sale...was caught up in the moment. i know i should have been pushy but i wasn't i was kind of 'herded' out of the way where the fabric was being cut (a temp table set up in the way of lots of fabric and i let myself be moved and just went to look at other things, i know that the incorrect cut is my own fault for not just being a B***** and pushing back when i was in the way...but that does not excuse them ringing up stuff that was not even on the paper, and i will never go back so will not have to worry about it again.
i accept my shame for allowing myself to be taken advantage of more than once in the same store...i have always tried to forgive and forget and move on almost always willing to give another chance. now there will be no more chances, but i am not going to allow this incident to turn me into those rude pushy people who treat those around them poorly for their own benifit