boy was i ever ripped off!

Old 07-06-2010, 09:30 AM

If it is a town that has a paper write a letter to the editor and tell them (shorter) what you told us. It may not get your money back but you might help someone else.
that is my way of fixing things, but i make sure i tell them what i'm going to do before i do it.
What goes around comes around.
Brenda
Old 07-06-2010, 09:35 AM

If I were you I would again call the store and let them know you were going to call "the Better Business Bureau of you state. Hopefully that will help, then see what they say and by all means call them.
Originally Posted by ckcowl
so, over the weekend there was a sale at a quilt shop i very seldom manage to visit (good thing too) it is almost 100 miles away. i love their selection and it seems like it could be a pretty good place; problem is...
i am starting to feel as if they (make mistakes) on purpose...bad as that sounds; this was my 3rd visit to this store...the first visit i purchase some sale items and did not receive the advertised discount on the items, did not notice until i got home...was only cents...i let it go...second visit i asked for a 1/2 yard cut of a fabric and when i got home i only had a fat quarter...i called the shop, they apologized but could not fix it...
now to the third (and last) visit...
this time we were on the motorcycle on our way to the airshow, hubby was nice enough to give me 1/2 an hour to shop at this shop i only go by a couple times a year. i found 2 sale fabrics that were needed and while they were being cut i looked around at the non-sale stuff. so i bought 1yard each of the 2 sale fabrics, found a 60 degree ruler i needed and then picked out a new wilderness panal with 2 coordinates...asked for 1 panal, 1 yard of one of the coordinates and 2 yards of the second one (for borders) i thought i did pretty good...5 yards of fabric (2 on sale for 30%off) and a ruler...the bill was $75.65!...i went out the door thinking...boy, so i didn't do so well after all...good thing i stopped looking...
so we don't get home till late and it is the next day when i get a chance to get my bag out and look at everything...including the receipt...i was charged for the 2 sale fab's ...ok,. the ruler...ok; the panal...ok, then there are 3 other fabrics (at 10.49 per yard) i only had 2...so i was charged $10.49 for something i did not get; then i actually unfold the fabrics and the one that was for borders, which i asked for 2yards of and was charged for 2 yards...is only 1 yard...so now i'm out $20.98 + tax...and i'm pretty upset...
i normally do not pay 10.49 a yard for any fabric, but really wanted it...i paid $41.56 +tax for 2 yards of fabric!!!and am short and can not even use what i have without buying more...
and yes...i contacted the store...first person...very defensive and rude...and how do they know i was shorted?...well i guess because i wouldn't be making a long distance call to tell you about it if i weren't...i'd be happy....
the owner was not available when i called...i am still waiting to hear from her...and i really do not expect her to do anything (especially if she's anything like the person working for her) but at least an apology and assurance that maybe my business is valued? or they could cut me my 2 yard piece and send it to me...i'd even be willing to send back the one yard piece i did not ask for... anyway...had to vent, i am so very upset...
Old 07-06-2010, 09:35 AM
Banned

man. oh man, i'd be a bit ticked off too. good lord. i doubt very much if they'll stay in business very long at that rate.
Old 07-06-2010, 09:49 AM

Originally Posted by GammaLou
So what's the name of this quilt shop? I live in Michigan too and don't want to go there!
Ditto. I travel around MI a bit going to QS's all over the lower peninsula. I don't want to go to this one.
Old 07-06-2010, 10:26 AM

Why after ur 1st 2 visits did you not pay attention as the fabric was being cut and ur purchase rang up? Cheat me once, shame on you. Cheat me twice, shame on me.
Old 07-06-2010, 10:36 AM

I am sorry but I would save the fabric, the bag and the reciept. I would march myself right back to that store and demand a refund or a new cut of fabric. Then I would notify the better business office. If it were just one time then I would still want them to make it right. But not turn them in. But since they have done this more than once I would defintly let them know that they can not stay in business this way. I would also advise my friends not to shop in that store.
Old 07-06-2010, 10:46 AM

Originally Posted by akrogirl
Yikes, that is one of the worst shopping experiences I have read about yet. I am amazed the store is still in business if that is the owner's business model of how to treat customers.
That is inexcusable! I don't know what I'd do if it were me, but I'd do something, that's for sure!!!
Old 07-06-2010, 10:49 AM

Oh goodness. What a shame. I do watch them cut, sometimes the yardage is crooked and I make sure they go to the short end or straighten the fabric ...I always has pen and paper and do my own figures before I check out, I have a basic idea what I spent....I have caught mistake a few times....
Old 07-06-2010, 10:50 AM

It's the shop. Always buy with a credit card if you arent sure. Mistakes happen but good stores correct them. I bought 2 half yards from Gruber's online. $11. I received it promptly and it was what I ordered. When my credit card bill came, I was charged twice. Called them and they apologized profusely and reversed the charge immediately, no proof needed as to what I said happened or what I received. This is how this store should handle this.
Old 07-06-2010, 10:51 AM

I routinely travel 600 miles each direction to visit family about three or four times a year. I also make a habit of shopping on my way to a destination so I'll be able to go back to the store on my way home.

I started paying for my fabrics, then walking to an empty area, pulling the items out of the bag and checking them against the receipt before I walk out the door.

The reason I formed this habit was that when I was travelling and stopping at quilt shops I twice realized that I'd been charged $15 or $20 extra. It seems that some shops have a habit of overcharging people who are shopping there while travelling. They seem to think that it's too far to travel back there to get a refund.