boy was i ever ripped off!

Old 07-06-2010, 10:53 AM

The easiest (and probably most effective) is to write every quilt guild in the area about your problem with the store and ask if anyone else has experienced the same problem.
Old 07-06-2010, 11:05 AM
cka

Stop payment in any way possible; THEY will call. I like the idea of notifying the quilt guilds and letters to the editor. Just be cautious of the wording;just the fact ma'am! you don't need the store to turn on you legally. I'm thinking we should all take proactive steps when buying anything anywhere. I hope this gets resolved to your benefit.
Old 07-06-2010, 12:00 PM

you can do what a friend did when she was ripped off by a car dealer. she had never bought a new car before and was excited about this one. three days after warranty, it stopped making left turns. every time she needed to turn left she had to figure out how to do it making only rights. impossible. the dealer told her he was not responsible. it was out of warranty. then, she could have the part, but she would have to pay labor. then, she would have to deal with the factory herself. finally, she made up a big sign and parked right across from the dealership. she sat on the car and held up the sign for all the world to see. 'I BOUGHT THIS LEMON ACROSS THE STREET'. everyone passing by had a huge laugh. after 4 days the dealer replaced not the problem, but the lemon.
she ended up with a new car direct from the factory. she lost 4 days of work, but it was cheaper than a car.

the moral: take action. call the better business bureau and follow up with a letter. send them a letter, return receipt, telling them you're calling every guild and sewing circle within one hundred miles and why. write a letter to the editor of the local paper in that town, telling the exact story. do not embellish the facts. in other words, hold up the lemon sign. even if they ignore you, other people won't.
Old 07-06-2010, 12:41 PM

First time, shame on them. Second time, shame on me. Third time? I don't think there would have been a third time. Sorry about all of your problems!
Old 07-06-2010, 12:46 PM

This is a time when you ae completely justified in naming names, that is, "I when to this quilt shop, in this city, and this is what happened." Put it on paper and send it to the Better Business Bureau of that city. Send it to the Mayor of that city. And really do this, why should you be robbed of your hard-earned money so that she will have business?

Let everyone here on our Quilting Board know who and where.

Times are hard for everyone, not just the Small business owner. As she is cheating her customers, she should be held accountable. Also, if the employees are doing this, and the owner condones this practice, she is no better than they are, as in theives.

An added comment, I worked in a Joann for 2-1/2 years and in a Quilt Shop (now defunct because she sold it to someone wlse). What I mean by this comment, is we were held accountable for mistakes of this nature.

WOW, do I sound like a witch or what? But, as a single woman, of advanced years, it is a struggle to make ends meet, having someone think it is OK to rob me is NOT acceptable.
Old 07-06-2010, 12:48 PM

Originally Posted by butterflywing
you can do what a friend did when she was ripped off by a car dealer. she had never bought a new car before and was excited about this one. three days after warranty, it stopped making left turns. every time she needed to turn left she had to figure out how to do it making only rights. impossible. the dealer told her he was not responsible. it was out of warranty. then, she could have the part, but she would have to pay labor. then, she would have to deal with the factory herself. finally, she made up a big sign and parked right across from the dealership. she sat on the car and held up the sign for all the world to see. 'I BOUGHT THIS LEMON ACROSS THE STREET'. everyone passing by had a huge laugh. after 4 days the dealer replaced not the problem, but the lemon.

I love it. That is something I would do. Let them know you won't take this lying down. They will have to do something, hopefully the right thing.
she ended up with a new car direct from the factory. she lost 4 days of work, but it was cheaper than a car.

the moral: take action. call the better business bureau and follow up with a letter. send them a letter, return receipt, telling them you're calling every guild and sewing circle within one hundred miles and why. write a letter to the editor of the local paper in that town, telling the exact story. do not embellish the facts. in other words, hold up the lemon sign. even if they ignore you, other people won't.
Old 07-06-2010, 12:50 PM

I love it. How cool that is something I would do. You have to do something, do anything until they get the message and do the right thing. You go girl.
Old 07-06-2010, 12:52 PM

Originally Posted by Geertje3
This is a time when you ae completely justified in naming names, that is, "I when to this quilt shop, in this city, and this is what happened." Put it on paper and send it to the Better Business Bureau of that city. Send it to the Mayor of that city. And really do this, why should you be robbed of your hard-earned money so that she will have business?

Times are hard for everyone, not just the Small business owner. As she is cheating her customers, she should be held accountable. Also, if the employees are doing this, and the owner condones this practice, she is no better than they are, as in theives.

An added comment, I worked in a Joann for 2-1/2 years and in a Quilt Shop (now defunct because she sold it to someone wlse). What I mean by this comment, is we were held accountable for mistakes of this nature.

WOW, do I sound like a witch or what? But, as a single woman, of advanced years, it is a struggle to make ends meet, having someone think it is OK to rob me is NOT acceptable.
Old 07-06-2010, 12:55 PM

Originally Posted by MI Applique Queen
Originally Posted by Geertje3

Amen to that. I work too hard for my money too and I check everything. I haven't had anyone complain when I've found a mistake. I polite and they are too.
Old 07-06-2010, 01:28 PM

Some of the stories about bad customer service just amaze me. What happened to "the customer is always right"???
You can file an online report at the better business bureau website: www.bbb.com. And, be sure to tell other people how you were treated. They'll be responsible for their own demise, that's for sure! There is no excuse for the bad service some of you have experienced!!!
I ran my friend's quilt shop for a few months while it was in the process of being sold (she had moved away). I profusely apologized if I made a mistake. There is no rule that there are 15 yards on a bolt of fabric, either. Somebody was being lazy on that incident!! Fabric can have anywhere from 10-15 yards on a bolt. We patronize local quilt shops so we CAN HAVE customer service instead of ordering online. We patronize local quilt shops so we can get something we cannot get from online. If they do not give it to us, what's the point??

OK, I guess I'm done now. I am so sorry some of you have had these experiences.