Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Broken toe - will it ever heal? >

Broken toe - will it ever heal?

Broken toe - will it ever heal?

Old 07-04-2011, 09:18 AM
Banned

takes 6-8 wks, much swelling /bruising and pain ,take arnica regularly to bring bruise out; there is nothing that can be done ,just rest as much as poss big shoes/sandals/slippers.
know ,banged my little toe on bible box and it went sideways, put it back and waited. it really does take time but gets right.
Old 07-04-2011, 01:18 PM

Originally Posted by ljptexas
Hey, girl. I've been there, done that!!! I broke 1 (can't remember which) in my house, going around barefoot. It will turn all kind of beautiful colors! My kids said "that's what U get for going barefoot all the time". But it does heal!!!! Nothing can really be done but wearing the 'in style' blue boot.

:thumbup: :thumbup:
I had the "in style" blue shoe for 6 weeks. I fractured my baby toe on April 1st. It is still healing. It was not only my toe, but ligaments were pulled also. That caused my whole foot to hurt. Of course, I wasn't able to be immobile for long enough to let it heal completely since I am a teacher...it still hurts from time to time, but at least I don't have to wear the blue shoe anymore. 8-)
Old 07-04-2011, 04:03 PM

if it is hugely painful, go see a doc. otherwise, "buddy tape" it to your other toes/foot with old fashioned adhesive tape, or the strapping tape that athletes use. wear hard soles shoes to support it--not just bendy tennis shoes. ice it--15 minutes every hour. elevate it. don't try to wear heels. and take an anti-inflammatory--aspirin, ibuprofen, tylenol, whatever you can tolerate. elevate it. remember that if you walk too much on it, it will tend to re-bleed into the area when you take anti-inflammatories. and elevate it. every time you sit down. it can take up to 8 weeks to heal, so be good to yourself. and if it is "bent" the wrong way, or rotated on itself at all, get thee to a doctor!

(been there, done that--both feet, different times. luckily, the old nurse wears clogs, and that helped. bare feet are not one's friend when one is in a hurry...)
Old 07-05-2011, 03:59 AM

sore as all get out, but eventually it will heal
Old 07-05-2011, 06:43 PM

Over 20 years ago I broke on of my toes on my left foot when walking down the hall in the trailer we lived in at that time. I broke the number 3 toe on my left foot. I have webbing that connects to both the 2nd and 3rd toes on both feet. I caught my toes on the corner of a floor model TV cabinet. The doctor couldn't set it or tape it. So I wore a flip flop on that foot for the time it took to heal. Then after it had healed if I stepped on something the wrong way, it would hurt for years after. Go get it evaluated to know exactly how to treat it.
Old 07-05-2011, 06:58 PM

they heal
I have broken 3
Old 07-05-2011, 07:04 PM

My little toe took about 8 weeks before I could wear a shoe other than my Birkis. My big toe took almost six months to feel almost normal. Sorry, it just takes time.