Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Broken toe - will it ever heal? >

Broken toe - will it ever heal?

Broken toe - will it ever heal?

Old 07-01-2011, 02:04 PM
Suz

Yes, it will heal and if it is your right foot, you will learn to sew left footed. Mine is healed and I still sew with my left foot. Good luck. Suz
Old 07-01-2011, 02:10 PM

My sister broke her little toe and went to the doctor. X-rays confirmed it. Doctor said 6 weeks to heal. Nope, at 3 months still not healed while using a special foot cast kind of shoe. Doctor was perplexed. Asked if she or anyone in her household smoked...sometimes slows down the healing process. No smokers in her house. I gave up asking if her toe has healed. LOL
Old 07-01-2011, 03:47 PM

Yes, I broke my little toe years ago and went to the ER. All they can do for the little toe is wrap it. That's what they did for me.

I know how you must be feeling.l Back in February, a can of food fell out of the cabinet on the top of my foot. It got black and blue and hurt, but finally went away. Then in May my foot started to hurt and swell and got all inflammed. I saw three doctors, internist, rheumatologist, and an infectious disease doctor. They were all baffled, the x-ray showed nothing. Then they treated me for gout, although my uric acid was fine. I also took two antiobiotics over this period. Finally, they did an MRI and found that my foot was fractured and already starting to heal. But it was still inflammed and swollen. They sent me to physical therapy for four weeks and I have to say that it is better. I have to see the doctor again in two weeks. It still hurts some and I surely hope it gets completely better soon. I also hope that your little toe is on the mend soon.

Lucy
Old 07-01-2011, 05:18 PM
Power Poster

Yes, I hit my next-to-the-big-toe and broke it but didn't know it so I didn't go to the doctor. So after a few months of putting up with the pain and it staying swollen I went to the doctor. I had broke the joint. They removed the joint; fused the bone together;put a pin thru it that stuck out of the end of my toe. Had to leave the pin in for six weeks, wearing that gorgeous surgical shoe. DON'T PUT IT OFF - GO GET IT X-RAYED! I know as women we are strong but sometimes we just gotta give in. :D
Old 07-01-2011, 05:53 PM

I have broken my little toes a number of times each. I like to go barefoot on our sailboat...not a good idea. I've kicked a few winches and they don't budge.
You place the cotton between your broken toe and the next one so that the tissue in between does not get and stay wet(shower or sweat) and then the skin would break down.
So get adhesive tape and put the cotton between toes (keep this dry or change it when it gets wet.) Tape the little toe to the next toe..and change the tape when necessary, but be careful not to pull the broken toe out of alignment. May have to keep the toe taped for 3-4 weeks.
Unless you broke bones in your foot, the docs won't do anything for you.
However, if your broken toe is not straight, then they may have to set it straight so that you don't have trouble with it later. You are supposed to wear shoes (although it always hurt too much for me) so I wore sandals. Keep a shoe or sandal on your foot at all times to stabilize it. DO NOT go barefoot.
Also keep your foot elevated to decrease the swelling. Aspirin when you are hurt is NOT a GOOD IDEA since it just thins your blood and adds to the bruising causing a hematoma (large amount of blood accumulated in an area.) Instead of aspirin, use ibuprofen. This will decrease the inflammation and help the healing process.
Old 07-01-2011, 05:55 PM

Yes, sadly I have done the same thing twice in my many years (AARP member)......First time I went to the docs...he says, yup you broke your toe.....ice, aspirin, keep elevated, etc. but we can't do anything for broken toes. One healed quite nicely, but the other has a wee bend up in it so it will not lay flat.....doesn't hurt though except in real pointy shoes. Got mine getting up in the dark to go potty and banged into the corner of the dresser. Hurt big time, as I'm sure yours did (does).
Old 07-01-2011, 07:29 PM

I broke my right little toe last year...very painful, all I could wear for a couple of months was a pair of old sandals..a couple of months ago I broke my left little toe...grrrrrrrrrrrrr back to the old sandals one more..this one was really painful and was really uncomfortable for quite awhile..I think I need to pay more attention to where my toes are..LOL
Old 07-01-2011, 11:54 PM

Mine took 6 weeks to heal, didn't have it looked at, just taped it to the next to and wore sandals.
Old 07-02-2011, 02:44 AM

Originally Posted by sewingmom3
Mine took 6 weeks to heal, didn't have it looked at, just taped it to the next to and wore sandals.
If mine heals in 6 weeks, I'm 1/2 way there today!
Old 07-02-2011, 08:06 AM

Originally Posted by Suz
Yes, it will heal and if it is your right foot, you will learn to sew left footed. Mine is healed and I still sew with my left foot. Good luck. Suz
It's my left foot, so sewing is not a problem

:-D